Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2019, 23:39   #31
BANNED

Re: The most timeless car designs ever...

How about the Ford GT40, and well as the Ford GT
Attached Thumbnails
The most timeless car designs ever...-https3a2f2fblogsimages.forbes.com2fkbrauer2ffiles2f20172f022fsuperformancegt40gulffordgt.jpg  

The most timeless car designs ever...-https3a2f2fblogsimages.forbes.com2fkbrauer2ffiles2f20172f022fsuperformancegt40fordgtopen.jpg  

simeonovitch is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 07:44   #32
Team-BHP Support

Usually, cars that follow the design language of angry eyes/angry front face and curvy swooping lines tend to become 'boring' after a few years. Timeless car designs usually have neutral front-end and squarish lines that never go out of fashion.

My vote for mainstream car with timeless design is the pre-facelift 8th gen Honda Accord:

The most timeless car designs ever...-honda_accord_tochigi_5_large.jpg

The most timeless car designs ever...-honda_accord_tochigi_7_large.jpg

The most timeless car designs ever...-honda_accord_tochigi_8_large.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 09:02   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
I would add the Mahindra Bolero to this thread.
Some people might laugh at this, but I agree. It's overall boxy & proportionate shape is timeless. The side & rear profiles are the best. It's only the front that is messed up by Mahindra (as usual).
The most timeless car designs ever...-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
In fact, I like the older ones more than the newer versions.
They are classy! I remember seeing the Deol family cruising around Bombay in their Range Rovers. Bobby Deol is / was a big fan of them.

Even these slightly older ones are so smart!
The most timeless car designs ever...-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
John Cooper, himself, with an older & later model.

Not to everyone's taste but nevertheless, the "G".
Well-chosen, both . Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
I think everybody will agree with me here. The most dependable SUV, Toyota Land cruiser looks so damn perfect!
I think the 80-Series was the best. The bloated 100 & 200 Series lost the charm.
The most timeless car designs ever...-3.jpg

The most timeless car designs ever...-4.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Re-posting the F10 530d photo from GTO's ownership thread
100% with you. The looks & that 6-cylinder diesel are the top reasons behind my choosing the car. Sharing more recent pics with the new rims:
The most timeless car designs ever...-6.jpg

The most timeless car designs ever...-5.jpg

Will also add the beautiful E39 to this list:
The most timeless car designs ever...-7.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Lost in the midst of more fancier and mass selling cars, is the original Suzuki Baleno 1.6.
Clean lines, but a terribly ugly rear. Would disagree with this choice. From that generation of sedans, the City & Lancer are far cleaner & timeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
The list would not be complete without Jazz.
Would disagree again. A mini-MPV the Jazz is.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 09:23   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think the art of creating timeless (or rather the design which has very long shelf life) is fairly simple, but comes at a huge risk. Stick to the basic form (which is derived from functionality and there is NO forced 'styling') and don't make radical changes to the design language across generations even when the whole world tries to outdo each other by chasing the 'design trends'. Best example to me are Volkswagen, Porsche and LandRover. If you look at these cars, a layperson will struggle to tell the difference between generations and tell the era in which they are made (at least keeping a window of 15-20 years)
I agree with the form factor being a major factor in ensuring designs remain true to roots, as well as timeless.

Found this image which shows the Range Rover design philosophy, making the RRs one of my favourite designs.

The most timeless car designs ever...-rr.png

Image Source : Link

Another car from the international scene i find very appealing is the Holden Commodore. Here is one i clicked in action at a local track event.

The most timeless car designs ever...-commo.jpg

Last edited by navin : 11th June 2019 at 16:14.
benbsb29 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 09:59   #35
BHPian

I'm surprised no one actually mentioned these before-

• The good ole' Amby
The most timeless car designs ever...-1280px2013_hindustan_ambassador_grand_in_showroom_front_right.jpg
  • Suzuki Grand Vitara

The most timeless car designs ever...-post_36_1546238850_2e0ecf080a9e11c61e3c9bd4ce96c0dd.jpg
  • Ford EcoSport
The most timeless car designs ever...-1280px2015_ford_ecosport_bk_trend_wagon_20150703_01.jpg
(Source: Wikimedia)

Cheers!

Last edited by porsche_guy : 11th June 2019 at 10:07. Reason: Adding credits
porsche_guy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 10:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I'm surprised no one actually mentioned these before-

Last Gen Honda Civic
Quoting the very first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another entry for Japan on this thread. IMHO, the Civic has aged superbly and will remain one of the most beautiful, most modifiable sedans to be sold in the country:
Attachment 1883654
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 10:52   #37
BHPian

Not sure how this car didn't make it to this thread inside the first three pages, but here's my pick for a timeless design; the Mustang.

The first fastback from 1965...

The most timeless car designs ever...-1280px1965_ford_mustang_fastback_15595256971.jpg

The 2019 iteration....

The most timeless car designs ever...-1280px2019_ford_mustang_gt_5.0_facelift.jpg

and my favourite from 1967...

The most timeless car designs ever...-images-8.jpeg
Jeevith is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 10:57   #38
BHPian

Among small cars my pick is the Hyundai Eon. Though it was launched 7 years ago around 2011-2012, the design still looks fresh unlike current gen Altos and Celerios which look dated even after facelifts.
Attached Thumbnails
The most timeless car designs ever...-images-1.jpeg  

Old 11th June 2019, 11:08   #39
BHPian

Among the mass market cars sold in India, my top 3 choices would be:

Fiat Punto:

The most timeless car designs ever...-punto-1.jpg

Maruti Zen (jellybean shape):

The most timeless car designs ever...-zen-2001.jpg

Maruti Swift (1st gen):

The most timeless car designs ever...-swift-1.jpg
chiranjitp is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 11:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

More I see and discuss with newer generation I get a different perspective. Folks born in 70's 80's (or even older) relate cars with straight lines. Our minds are stuck to our memories and does not accept anything curvy, swoopy etc(Which off course we relate with something else ). Recently I was talking to a teenager kid and was discussing cars. I was mentioning how nice does the the City,Lancers/Land cruisers look even now and he dismissed outright saying the designers back then had no taste. Pickup a ruler draw few lines and you have a car . They had no clue about co-efficient of drag, safety perspective etc. We concluded with this "I can eat Pizza's/risotto's/burgers for couple of days but after a certain period I start craving for desi food, but the kids these days are so used to Italian/Mexican they can survive with these for years over the desi food!

That said, if there is one car which I would keep forever even if it doesn't run is the good old Mustang. I can park this in my portico, sit and keep staring all day long.
The most timeless car designs ever...-download.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 11:36   #41
BHPian

While most of the cars that I think are timeless are already mentioned in the thread, i would like to add few more to the list.

1. Opel Vectra. Though finding this car on Indian roads is tougher than finding UFOs on earth's atmosphere, this car was actually ahead of its time in terms of technology and features on offer. And the boxy yet timeless styling is something other manufacturing companies later adopted on their cars in coming years. Its difficult to believe that this car was launched 15 years back! It still wont look out of place today if launched without any changes.
The most timeless car designs ever...-img_20190611_111911.jpg

2. Tata Safari original. The original version of Safari was an emotion in terms of styling. Almost every element and component of the exterior had a purpose. The purpose to look brute yet forgiving. Even the positioning of Tata's then telco logo or the font of 'safari' were elegant. The car just lost its cohesiveness in terms of styling with every facelift.
The most timeless car designs ever...-cdaeee6.jpg

3. Tata Sierra. Another masterclass Tata which used to turn more heads than Harrier does today. The reason is simple : it was the first luxury suv of India and looked the part too. It has to be noted that boxy shapes do age well compared to curves. But again just being boxy doesn't help! (Ask Renault about Logan) The combination of various elements do the trick. The glass area of Sierra had a special place in every SUV lover's heart. We do find some of the DNA elements of Sierra in Tata Xenon and that pickup looks great too!
The most timeless car designs ever...-img_20190611_111932.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 11th June 2019 at 17:02. Reason: Inserting attachments
Turbokick is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 11:58   #42
BHPian

For me personally, the old Honda Civic has to be the most timeless design even after more than a decade. Generally, cars tend to have a particular angle from which they look the best. You can view this gorgeous beast from any angle and it won't fail to mesmerize you. Even the interiors were way ahead of its day and age with that futuristic digital speedo being the cherry on top!

The most timeless car designs ever...-20190611_102032.jpg

The most timeless car designs ever...-20190611_102609.jpg

The most timeless car designs ever...-20190611_101735.jpg

The most timeless car designs ever...-20190611_101633.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 11th June 2019 at 18:09. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
imzahid is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 12:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

3. Tata Sierra. Another masterclass Tata which used to turn more heads than Harrier does today. The reason is simple : it was the first luxury suv of India and looked the part too.
True. I would totally buy one of it was launched today and if I could afford it.

Maybe Tata should think about bringing back the name at least. Place it between the Hexa and the Harrier probably with as a lifestyle off-roader.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 12:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

'Timeless' car designs...goes the thread title, and many of us couldn't resist forcing down some of our rides just because we think they should belong to the list ? really ?
I agree it is all subjective and personal, especially when the categorization (timeless) doesn't really provide definitive boundaries, yet i find it ridiculous to see cars designs that are yet to cross a decade, come up as "Timeless"

Timeless - "not affected by the passage of time or changes in fashion"

Also Power, suspension setup, VRS badges, doesn't matter in this thread. If this thread is intended to serve as a tribute to (Timeless) designs, lets stick to that.

Purely from an Indian context, i find the below designs timeless
Standard 2000
Contessa Classic
Tata Sierra and Estate
1st Gen Zen (Jelly Bean)
1st Gen Grand Vitara
Ford Mondeo
Mitsu Lancer
Mitsu Pajero
Fiat Palio
Mahindra Armada
Honda City Type II
1st gen Octavia
Chevy Optra SRV

There cars demand my attention even when they are badly maintained or rusting in some corner. If any of them are sold as new today, i wont bat an eyelid to buy one, even willing to sacrifice on performance or creature comforts of today's auto world.
Mi10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 12:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Found this image which shows the Range Rover design philpsophy, making the RRs one of my favourite designs.

Look how LR kept on improving the approach and departure angles while still sticking to the key design element.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks