Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 10:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to bring N performance brand to India

In a bid to create excitement around its brand, Hyundai Motor is set to bring the N brand to India. N is the performance division of Hyundai worldwide, and works with Hyundai motorsport too. All N badged cars are the higher performance versions of the production models they use as their base. The plan for India is two-pronged though, given that India remains a price sensitive market - and also the limited demand for hard core performance cars. And so while some N cars will be brought in to create a flutter and build image, they may not be sold through the regular retail channel. Those cars will help build aspiration and instead Hyundai will eye volumes from what it calls the N-Line range of products. It is likely we shall see some N products at the 2020 Delhi Auto Expo, with an official announcement for the brand's India launch as well.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/exclusive...-india-2051200

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 11th June 2019 at 10:55.
RM Motorsports is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 14:31   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai to bring N performance brand to India

This is great news and a welcome move by Hyundai India - unless it turns out to be yet another PR stunt. I've read great things about Elantra GT N and Veloster N and they are genuine upgrades over regular variants. Keeping my fingers crossed and expectations low - as with all hyped up announcements by Hyundai
kubectl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 15:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
The plan for India is two-pronged

Hyundai will eye volumes from what it calls the N-Line range of products.
I'm excited, but something tells me that this won't be the real deal. We're likely to get mild -N cars, probably as the top end variant of their regular cars like the upcoming i20.

May not be a bad deal if executed well, as the country is still not ready to pay a big premium for performance - and a marginally souped-up variant like the Polo GT range or TATA JTP range is better suited for our market requirements.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 15:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

It will be niche segment and most probably come through the CBU route: with regular cars costing an arm and a limb these would be priced out of the stratosphere making the Germans look like bargains (just like Lexus). ₹ 35 L Verna: are we ready!!??

Last edited by Durango Dude : 11th June 2019 at 15:40.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 15:42   #5
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2019 at 09:00.
ameyadchule is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th June 2019, 19:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think Hyundai should balance performance and practicality. A good reference is the JTP Tiago from Tata, Not too expensive when compared to the regular Tiago, but it had substantial changes in a lot of mechanicals. And the engine was not something out of the world and hence they could price it well.
I do not know what numbers Tata eventually did with the Tiago JTP, but this is the model that Hyundai should try and replicate. No point in importing CBUs and pricing them at absurd levels, just like what VW did with the Polo GTi.

And Hyundai has the deep pockets to do something on the line of JTP. They are no:2 in the country, have nearly 20% market share and they can afford to do it since their regular range is well established. And plus they have one of their own, Kia, also in the country.
So better ability to localise and make exciting cars.
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 09:56   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai to bring N performance brand to India

Has Hyundai come a long way? I think so. Their mainstream cars now have neutral handling and many enthusiasts are buying them. The brand has also gotten more premium with time.

I think N-Performance variants of the i20, Verna & Creta will find takers. It has potential. Agreed with the posts above that the cars should be "mid performance" variants like the Tata JTPs & VW GTs, or maybe a little more...at least at the start. Depending on acceptability and as the market matures, they can bring more serious upgrades.

Hyundai should definitely pursue this. It'll further add some sheen to the brand.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Not considering how and when they bring it in, has anyone looked at the figures for the N i20?
200PS, 6/7 stage auto/dual box, approximately 20 Lacs. I understand that Hyundai has breached the price perception thing, that people will wonder about buying a hyundai at premium costs, but what will essentially be seen as an i20 for 20L?

But the power figure is droolworthy!
mayankk is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Has Hyundai come a long way? I think so. Their mainstream cars now have neutral handling and many enthusiasts are buying them. The brand has also gotten more premium with time.
Absolutely. We, a group of 4 bhpians had taken the TD of NextGen Verna back in 2017 when it was launched and it surprised each and every one of us with the way it handled. The previous perception of 'boat' was totally gone from our minds. Though I wouldn't say that the handling is 'top notch' in the segment or anything, it is quite decent for that car. Since I was looking for a Diesel car which has decent power and preferably an AT, that TD actually prompted me to go ahead and book the car which I am driving today.

Several years of driving two Fiats had gotten me spoiled on the expectations on steering feel and handling but the new Hyundai did impress me.

There are aspects which are subpar - braking & NVH for example.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th June 2019 at 10:56.
clevermax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 13:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a new rule where a manufacturer can bring 2500 cars every year without homologation. I guess Hyundai is taking advantage of the same.
fx45 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 14:50   #11
BHPian

I've always wanted to hear this news. I have seen a few i30 N hatckback and sportback. They look and sound amazing!

i30N might be expensive since the regular version isn't manufactured in India. Probably i20N would be perfect. I hope Hyundai makes that happen!
puneeth2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 19:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting to see that the new i30N is rated overall better than the Octavia vRS!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyunda...-vrs-challenge

Of course, seeing the minimal interest in Hyundai as a performance brand, for example, this new thread has slipped to page 4 :-), I don't know whether enthusiasts will be ready to pay the expected premium.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 02:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting to see that the new i30N is rated overall better than the Octavia vRS!
I'm not at all surprised with that verdict. The i30N slots somewhere between a Golf GTI & Golf R. A Golf GTI will win the performance match with an Octavia RS hands down, so the i30N should easily be better.
The Octavia wins on the practicality front, and none of these hot hatches can match it there, but you already know that

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Of course, seeing the minimal interest in Hyundai as a performance brand, for example, this new thread has slipped to page 4 :-), I don't know whether enthusiasts will be ready to pay the expected premium.
I have kept mum, wondering what they will end up bringing, and how they will price it. Converting the cost of the car in Belgium (minus taxes), it comes up to around 26-29 lakhs depending on the variant and options.
i30N for 30 lakhs anyone?

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 06:16   #14
BHPian

I agree that Hyundai should look more towards a GT or JTP like variant first up. An i20 with the 1.0 gdi and DCT combination from the Venue with a more sorted steering and suspension package, paddle shifters can be a decent start.
Old 10th August 2019, 11:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is gearing up for the world premier of the next-gen i20. The model has been spied testing at multiple locations, including India. The next-gen car will be unveiled in 2020 and just like the outgoing model, will be sold not just in one but multiple engine-gearbox options, depending on the market.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...d-tests-413703
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai to bring N performance brand to India-n1.jpg  

Hyundai to bring N performance brand to India-n2.jpg  

Hyundai to bring N performance brand to India-n3.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed