Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 13:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata launches Tigor AMT in XMA and XZA+ variants

Tata Motors has launched two new automated manual transmission (AMT) variants of the Tigor. These include the XMA and XZA+ priced at Rs. 6.39 lakh and Rs. 7.24 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively.

Tata launches Tigor AMT in XMA and XZA+ variants-image-1-6.jpg

The XZA+ is based on the XZ+ variant. It comes equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, 15-inch diamond cut alloy wheels, projector headlamps and electric folding ORVMs with integrated turn-indicators. The XMA variant gets a Harman-tuned music system with Bluetooth connectivity.

Both variants are offered with reverse parking sensors, rear armrest with cup holders, dual airbags, ABS with EBD and corner stability control and speed dependent auto door locking.

The 5-speed AMT gearbox has anti-stall and crawl functions. It is mated to a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 84 BHP and 114 Nm of torque.

The Tigor AMT is available in six colour options - Egyptian Blue, Roman Silver, Espresso Brown, Berry Red, Pearlescent White and Titanium Grey.
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 21:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata launches Tigor AMT in XMA and XZA+ variants

Just checked the pricelist,a nd the previously available XZA is now gone, even though the XZ is still available in the Manual Transmission. Upon reading this news I had thought that Tata Tigor now has AMT models in 3 variants, but alas they take 2 steps forward and 1 step back always.
Old 19th June 2019, 07:39   #3
BHPian

I think it's a welcome move. Can't blame Tata on introducing a top automatic variant and withdrawing the one just below (though they deserve blame on several other counts). Huge SKUs or variant count is something no mass vehicle manufacturer in India can afford now, except maybe Maruti. The volumes and business sense will not justify that.

We'll better have at least some manufacturers survive other than Maruti and Hyundai, rather than having automatic in every variant from all players. Including myself, most car lovers were asking for automatic in highest variant and very few companies still do it.

It seems sticker shock on highest variant is a reality in our country and even Maruti adheres to avoiding that in most cases. So got to give credit to Tata on this one.

Last edited by CoolFire : 19th June 2019 at 07:46.
Old 19th June 2019, 08:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Just checked the pricelist,a nd the previously available XZA is now gone, even though the XZ is still available in the Manual Transmission. Upon reading this news I had thought that Tata Tigor now has AMT models in 3 variants, but alas they take 2 steps forward and 1 step back always.
Are they looking to standardise AMT variants? Even Nexon has XMA and XZA+. If that is the case, Tiago AMT variants may also see a rejig soon.

Anyways, a welcome move from Tata to offer AMT in the top variant. I guess the move is to pump some life into this dying sedan. The volumes for Tigor have literally crashed in the last few months. It is really sad to see such a good (minus engine) and VFM product going down the drain.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 19th June 2019 at 08:58.
Old 19th June 2019, 11:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

There has been a lot of speculation about Facelift being launched soon, why did they decide to add new variants just before it? Prices of Tigor has been steadily increasing, pushing it close to bigger rivals like Amaze and Dzire, hope Tata keeps the price in check.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Too little too late if you ask me. The car is more or less dead in the market and would soon follow its bigger cousin Zest, waiting to be discontinued as and when the management decides.

This is what I keep saying. For car makers like Tata who are trying to enter a segment new to them in terms of sales and at the same time fighting a brand perception battle with the buyer, making a good car is only half the battle won. You also need to come out all guns blazing, offering all you can, from the word Go!

Now that the model is nearly forgotten, how many buyers are anyways considering the Tigor? In the beginning they should have catered to all the different scenarios offering both MT and AMT options with the intention to put as many cars on the road as possible.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 13:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
There has been a lot of speculation about Facelift being launched soon, why did they decide to add new variants just before it? Prices of Tigor has been steadily increasing, pushing it close to bigger rivals like Amaze and Dzire, hope Tata keeps the price in check.
Just when you prayed for a price check, Tata decides to hike prices of Tigor between 2k to 9k. Instead of looking at offering better VFM, Tata is playing the margin game here and killing the product.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 14:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Just when you prayed for a price check, Tata decides to hike prices of Tigor between 2k to 9k. Instead of looking at offering better VFM, Tata is playing the margin game here and killing the product.
That's quiet sad, I bought mine for the price of Ignis mid variant one year back, I would say car feels premium enough for the current price, but being a Tata people would always expect more for what they pay (more car per car).

Engine choice too could have been better, should have been turbo 1.2 Petrol from day one.

Most Viewed