Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:11   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: 2nd-gen Maruti Celerio launched at Rs. 4.99 lakh

Just like buyers in this segment, I am least bothered about the design. Previous Celerio wasn't a looker and new one continues the trend. This is a car for people who want no-nonsense commuter that can be easy on pocket. But what hurts is that current top spec Celerio retails for 7.1L in Bangalore and I am sure new one will retail at same price or more. I don't understand why buyers ignore Ignis, for few thousands more, you get peppier 4 cylinder engine and a practical car.
PrideRed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:09   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
But what hurts is that current top spec Celerio retails for 7.1L in Bangalore and I am sure new one will retail at same price or more. I don't understand why buyers ignore Ignis, for few thousands more, you get peppier 4 cylinder engine and a practical car.
I can think of 2 reasons.
1. Not many like the oddball design of the Ignis, especially the rear end.
2. The price difference is significant when you compare similar variants of either cars.
For example- The cheapest Celerio with AMT(VXi variant) is about 6.8 lakhs on-road Bangalore, whereas the cheapest Ignis with AMT(Delta Variant) is about 7.6 lakhs on-road Bangalore!

2nd-gen Maruti Celerio launched at Rs. 4.99 lakh-collagemaker_20211102_150257191.jpg
Source- Carwale

Last edited by Emvi : 2nd November 2021 at 15:11.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:12   #243
BHPian

Really gone backward. It looks like Suzuki has no plans to export the new Celerio. That is when such cost-cutting backward design typically happens. I believe the same was the pattern with old (1.1)/new Wagon R, old/new Alto, etc. The moment the export plan stops, the quality of everything goes down.

Last edited by navin : 2nd November 2021 at 16:40. Reason: typos
dileepcm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:36   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Am I wrong or does this new Celerio come with request sensors, push button start, steering audio controls, alloy wheels, rear wash wipe and yet, misses out on ACC and power window control on door pads?

Would to be interesting to hear from the team who designed this car and decided the feature list
Same is the case with Ignis Zeta. It has alloys, push button start, request sensor on both front doors, rear wiper with defogger, touch screen but no ACC
Old 2nd November 2021, 18:45   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33rav View Post
Same is the case with Ignis Zeta. It has alloys, push button start, request sensor on both front doors, rear wiper with defogger, touch screen but no ACC
No ACC is understood (though I would still want ACC in lieu of the request sensor and push button start).

On the other hand, new Celerio has power window buttons on the dashboard and the rear ones are behind the handbrake. I can't imagine any car in today's market with such feature list and yet skimping on basics!

2nd-gen Maruti Celerio launched at Rs. 4.99 lakh-img20211102wa0022.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 2nd November 2021 at 18:48.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 18:53   #246
BHPian

Can anyone here who are more informed tell me the rationale behind having the power windows buttons anywhere else apart from the windows? S-Presso too has in middle and here too the same and for back seat, it is between the 2 seats.

Just wondering.
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:09   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
On the other hand, new Celerio has power window buttons on the dashboard and the rear ones are behind the handbrake. I can't imagine any car in today's market with such feature list and yet skimping on basics!
Wait. That's where the bottle holder is in most budget cars!!! Another storage place gone. Guess how the space is utilised in variants without rear power windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Can anyone here who are more informed tell me the rationale behind having the power windows buttons anywhere else apart from the windows? S-Presso too has in middle and here too the same and for back seat, it is between the 2 seats...Just wondering.
Extreme cost cutting or super cheap cars. Or power windows were an afterthought that came during a midlife facelift. Or vehicles with removable doors.

Looks like someone in the designing team damaged their power window switches during a heavy downpour.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:55   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone here who are more informed tell me the rationale behind having the power windows buttons anywhere else apart from the windows? S-Presso too has in middle and here too the same and for back seat, it is between the 2 seats.

Just wondering.
Conventional way is to have power window switches in each door and a master PW switch in the driver door which can handle all the windows in addition to door and window lock/unlock. What does this translate to:
  • Two sets of switches one for each door and one master in the driver door
  • The wiring is complex, where master switch will have wiring done to all doors parallel to the individual PW switches, in addition to providing power.
  • If the lower end variants come with power windows only for the front, then that needs different wiring harness for the door, different door pads to house two switches instead of four
  • Suppose the cheapest variant has no power windows, then a third design for door pads and separate harness for the doors.

By adopting these centralized PW switches, they have killed many birds with one stone. That in the cheapest manner possible:
  • No master switch on driver door, so money saved
  • One type of wiring harness for multiple variants, so money saved
  • Lower variants can just have dummy inserts in these places so no need to design different door pads, so money saved

Lets see how such blatant cost cutting will actually be shown on the sticker price. Its an ergonomic disaster to have these PW switches all over the place and a mirror control that you have to find your way to compared to the joystick that was earlier present.
audioholic is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 22:12   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

While I had noticed the flap type door handles on the very 1st test mule was spotted long time ago - the placement of a request sensor besides the flap on driver door - really managed to "impress" me beyond my imagination. I can say without hesitation that under-graduate engineering students design far better finished cars as their mechanical engineering projects now.

This is MSIL still playing their "we have monopoly" card at a rather awkward moment. There are intentional disasters inside out in this car. The power window switches, the rather bland and outright cheap looking dashboard, downgrade from pull type to flap type door handles, lack of ACC and so on. "We rule these segments, people will buy our product, no matter what" - is what this is. I don't think the market is what it was 10 years ago, when this strategy worked absolutely fine for MSIL. Things have moved on. People are spoilt for choices + safety. Quite a gamble this.

I really liked the outgoing Celerio (not the X trim though) and always felt it was one of the most practical city hatch options available for our urban/semi urban markets. Can't say this for the new model as a personal opinion. Don't like it anymore. Will work more to push customers towards WagonR / Spresso on either side of the spectrum mostly, won't be as impressive individually as the outgoing Celerio was.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd November 2021 at 22:15.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 23:02   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Just realised after seeing a video that the headlight leveller is now no longer electric and is cable operated. This is going to be a sort of treasure hunt to find how many things have gone backwards in this car.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:33   #251
BHPian

Quote:

Just wondering.
S presso doesn't have power windows at the back in any variant. The rationale for moving it to the middle of the console in the front must be to liberate more lateral space as mentioned in the s presso review by having super thin door pads. I frankly don't think it's that big a deal. You get used to it in a short while and these being narrow cars the controls are easily reachable too.
darkfantasy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:06   #252
Senior - BHPian

New Celerio will be available in 7 Variants and 6 Color Options.

- Four with manual transmission and three with an AMT.

- Barring the base LXI trim, remaining three trims will be available with an AMT too.

- There will be six single-tone paint schemes.

- New Celerio will be officially launched on November 10.

2nd-gen Maruti Celerio launched at Rs. 4.99 lakh-20211103_090510.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd November 2021 at 09:17.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:32   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
New Celerio will be available in 7 Variants and 6 Color Options.

- Four with manual transmission and three with an AMT.

- Barring the base LXI trim, remaining three trims will be available with an AMT too.

- There will be six single-tone paint schemes.

- New Celerio will be officially launched on November 10.

Attachment 2227308

Link
The snapshot shows ISS moniker in model name and description. That means there would be variants equipped with Idle start stop feature. Interesting. So that is how they hope to achieve class leading fuel efficiency.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:34   #254
BHPian

Looks like Engine Start Stop (ISS) is standard across the range to extract the maximum possible efficiency from the engine.

The 1.2 seems missing to prevent cannibalisation of the WagonR and Ignis.
umohan98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:43   #255
BHPian

Not exactly inspiring but then when did it bother Maruti. Looks like it was built to a cost, will be curious to see the pricing and its positioning in the Maruti stable.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks