Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 17:10   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: VW to import T-Roc, Touareg, Tiguan Allspace as CBUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
AWD, nice turbo petrol with DSG and savings of at least 10 lakhs. Understated, no-nonsense design is a bonus
AWD, Yes. For the engine, I have doubts if it will be any better over BMW but I haven't driven either so can't comment. Same for the prices, BMW price lists are mostly to calculate Road Taxes. Wait for a while & you can easily get 5-8 Lac off

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
For the same reason people buy the Kodiaq over the X1 I guess - more space, and some folks don't want to buy a BMW and fly under the radar while buying a VW or Skoda.
I am not sure if there will be many people who will like to pick up a VW over BMW to remain elusive.

Overall, Yes, for someone looking for a functional and a car with features, maybe makes sense. But perhaps, VW should have priced little more aggressively. In Europe, people may pick a VW over a BMW for 10-20 % difference but here in India, for the majority of the guys in this segment, it's an aspirational purchase so BMW definitely gets an edge.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th March 2020 at 17:30.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 17:43   #32

Seeing the pricing, I am happy I picked up the BS4 5-seater tiguan at 30L OTR.
volksvig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 18:59   #33
BHPian

How does this compare with its sibling Kodiak feature wise apart from the non availability of a diesel option? VW would have kept something special for Tiguan over the Kodiak.
After seeing the Allspace pictures, I appreciate the 5 seater Tiguan even more and would have preferred VW to keep both versions on sale. The 5 seater was a better choice for personal use. I guess it was elbowed out to make space for T-roc.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 20:04   #34
BHPian

This is priced slightly higher compared to the existing kodiaq style bs4, which was Diesel. Yes, this has more horses and its bs6.but they should have priced it below. Especially since many new bs6 models are priced below their bs4 models.
Wonder where would Skoda price the new bs6 kodiaq. Any news on when would they launch it?
Old 8th March 2020, 00:28   #35
BHPian

Pardon me for giving a different perspective but the Tiguan allspace is very attractive to me. I have a jetta and was planning to upgrade to a compass eventually. But the octavia rs was also a very attractive prospect before it was priced out of reach. I know both are different types of cars, but at similar budget both caught my interest. I love to drive and have always wanted to own a 4wd too.
Now the allspace has the best of both worlds.
1. Performance, courtesy the 2.0 tsi and 7speed dsg which is one of the most tuner friendly combinations in India(I can easily take it to 250-300hp without overly stressing the engine after 2-3 years). Agreed it might not handle as good as an rs, but itll be good enough for me need.
2. And the feel of an SUV with a 4wd(not hardcore, but adequate enough for my needs)

And to those who question, the kodiaq when launched with 2.0tsi is an even better prospect than this, for the rare occasion when i am chauffered i love the innova crysta mainly because i can form a bed with the front passenger seat and stretch my legs over it. In the tiguan 5 seater which has an option to fold the front passenger seat forward fully, i can place my legs over it instead of on the floor. Not crysta levels of support but i still love to travel like that and enjoy the visibility it offers. I hope they have retained this feature in the allspace too. If not fully, it still fullfills the role of things i liked in 3 different cars in one..
spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 08:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not sure if there will be many people who will like to pick up a VW over BMW to remain elusive.

Overall, Yes, for someone looking for a functional and a car with features, maybe makes sense. But perhaps, VW should have priced little more aggressively.
Thank you. Totally agree. This car is dead on arrival. VW need to position their cars against those from Hyundai, to explain the strategy simply. They may be big elsewhere, but in india, they are seen as non-exciting cousins of skoda.

Reminds me of a quote from a book by famous malayalam author Vaikom Muhammed Basheer- a poor woman in his story keeps saying "my grandfather has an elephant".
Old 8th March 2020, 09:27   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Now the allspace has the best of both worlds.
1. Performance, courtesy the 2.0 tsi and 7speed dsg which is one of the most tuner friendly combinations in India(I can easily take it to 250-300hp without overly stressing the engine after 2-3 years). Agreed it might not handle as good as an rs, but itll be good enough for me need.
2. And the feel of an SUV with a 4wd(not hardcore, but adequate enough for my needs)

And to those who question, the kodiaq when launched with 2.0tsi is an even better prospect than this, for the rare occasion when i am chauffered i love the innova crysta mainly because i can form a bed with the front passenger seat and stretch my legs over it. In the tiguan 5 seater which has an option to fold the front passenger seat forward fully, i can place my legs over it instead of on the floor. Not crysta levels of support but i still love to travel like that and enjoy the visibility it offers. I hope they have retained this feature in the allspace too. If not fully, it still fullfills the role of things i liked in 3 different cars in one..
I agree the Tiguan with the 2.0 TSI and the 4WD is a good upgrade for a Jetta customer but then for your needs, wouldn't the regular Tiguan without the 3rd row and extended boot worked out perfectly as well?

The whole point is VW didn't really need to get the Allspace variant of the Tiguan when sister brand Skoda was selling the Kodiaq.

All VW needed to do was sell the normal 5 seater Tiguan with the same 2.0L TSI engine and same 4WD tech.

The buyer would now get an option to either choose a full size 7 seater SUV like the Skoda or go for the sportier and more compact Tiguan for those who don't need the 3rd row. This would have been a closer competitor to the X1 with perfect size and performance.

By getting the Allspace version they now have 2 identical cars with different front grills and badges. A customer will be choosing between the 2 cars now.

The regular Tiguan would compete with Tucson, Compass, X1 vs the Allspace which competes with Kodiaq, Endeavour and Fortuner.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 10:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The regular Tiguan would compete with Tucson, Compass, X1 vs the Allspace which competes with Kodiaq, Endeavour and Fortuner.
Is the regular Tiguan still available ? I checked with dealer and i was told that even the display piece are all sold out sir.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:32   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Is the regular Tiguan still available ? I checked with dealer and i was told that even the display piece are all sold out sir.
That's the sad part. They replaced the regular one with Allspace.
Old 8th March 2020, 12:10   #40
BHPian

I feel happy that I have gone with the regular Tiguan Highline BS4 now with good discounts. It drives well , compact yet spacious inside with a higher seating position and all creature comforts. At this price (close to 40L), it is not going to sell more than few numbers.
Old 8th March 2020, 13:37   #41
BHPian

What Atrocious Pricing!
Am I the only one who think that most people are not talking about the engine? Earlier Tiguan and Kodiaq were Diesel versions where as Allspace is a Petrol one and still is charged so exorbitantly. Does the Petrol/Diesel differences become negligible at this level itself? I can understand at very premium levels it doesn't make much difference but this is just entry level premium where there are people from higher middle class also who value money more than uber rich right? (At least at perception level)
Old 8th March 2020, 14:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Am puzzled by VW’s product strategy. As Vidyut has mentioned, VW had the Tiguan positioned nicely below the Kodiaq, and could well have continued to locally assemble it with the new TSI engine. They instead replace it with the Allspace, whose only real competitor is the Kodiaq (don’t think too many people will buy a Kodiaq instead of a Fortuner), and instead of assembling the same in Aurangabad, decide to import the car. Why?

Even if VW is absorbing the added customs duty (which it probably is at a ₹33 lakh ex showroom price), in states like Maharashtra, the road tax is higher for imports - ₹660,000 for an import vs ₹427,000 for a locally assembled car if I am not mistaken

However, this will probably attract its own audience - there are folks who would rather own a VW than a Skoda, and they will probably manage to sell 75-125 units a month

Last edited by Hayek : 8th March 2020 at 14:29. Reason: Corrected prices
Old 8th March 2020, 14:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I agree the Tiguan with the 2.0 TSI and the 4WD is a good upgrade for a Jetta customer but then for your needs, wouldn't the regular Tiguan without the 3rd row and extended boot worked out perfectly as well?

The whole point is VW didn't really need to get the Allspace variant of the Tiguan when sister brand Skoda was selling the Kodiaq.

All VW needed to do was sell the normal 5 seater Tiguan with the same 2.0L TSI engine and same 4WD tech.

The buyer would now get an option to either choose a full size 7 seater SUV like the Skoda or go for the sportier and more compact Tiguan for those who don't need the 3rd row. This would have been a closer competitor to the X1 with perfect size and performance.

By getting the Allspace version they now have 2 identical cars with different front grills and badges. A customer will be choosing between the 2 cars now.

The 5 seater Tiguan with 2.0 tsi if available would have been perfect. Since it is not, i was talking about why i would pick it over kodiaq. Also i prefer the vw service in my city over skoda..
Old 8th March 2020, 22:53   #44
BHPian

I have a simple question- Will you buy a limited-quantity CBU car?

Given limited spares, low local knowledge of the car, high import cost of spares , would you buy the CBU as your daily commuter?

Given 2500 CBU limit for Skoda/VW/Audi, I think the breakup might be:
1000: T-Roc
1000: Karoq
250: Allspace
250: Octavia VRS

Did I miss any?

Last edited by VPJ74 : 8th March 2020 at 22:55. Reason: Typo
Old 8th March 2020, 23:00   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Given 2500 CBU limit for Skoda/VW/Audi, I think the breakup might be:
1000: T-Roc
1000: Karoq
250: Allspace
250: Octavia VRS

Did I miss any?
Yes you completely missed the entire Audi and Lamborghini range which is part of 2500 as well.

My guess is:

900: T-Roc
700: Karoq
300: Allspace
200: VRS 245
400: Audi/Lambo
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks