Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2019, 17:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: VW to import T-Roc, Touareg, Tiguan Allspace as CBUs

According to a media report, Volkswagen is planning to launch three new SUVs in India around 2020-21. These include the T-Roc, Touareg and Tiguan Allspace. All three models are expected to be imported as completely built units (CBUs) under the rule which allows manufacturers to import 2,500 units annually without homologation.

Rumour: VW to import T-Roc, Touareg, Tiguan Allspace as CBUs-db2017au01478_full.jpg

The T-Roc is based on the MQB platform and is positioned below the Tiguan in Volkswagen's line up. The car could be offered with a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine that produces 148 BHP.

Rumour: VW to import T-Roc, Touareg, Tiguan Allspace as CBUs-tiguan-allspace.jpg

The Tiguan Allspace is a stretched version of the Tiguan. It is longer by 215 mm and has a wheelbase that is longer by 110 mm. It can seat up to 7 people. The SUV is likely to offered with same 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine paired with a 7-speed DSG and all-wheel drive as the standard Tiguan.

Rumour: VW to import T-Roc, Touareg, Tiguan Allspace as CBUs-2019vwtouareg.jpg

The third-generation Touareg is based on Volkswagen's MLB Evo platform. In the international market, the Touareg is offered with 3.0-litre V6 diesel engines that produce 228 BHP / 500 Nm or 282 BHP / 600 Nm. A 3.0-litre V6 petrol with 335 BHP and 450 Nm of torque is also available. An 8-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive comes standard.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 17:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW to import T-Roc, Touareg, Tiguan Allspace as CBUs

I see a lot of conflict between the Kodiaq & Tiguan All Space: Similar space, engine, features, and the Skoda will be cheaper being a CBU.

As the market has clearly proven, there are very limited numbers in this segment so why clutter it up even more?
The current Tiguan is able to differentiate itself from the Kodiaq: better priced, 5 seater.

Similarly - the Karoq v/s the T-Roc will be interesting to see as well.

Ideally VW should focus its offerings in those segments where Skoda doesn't have the brand value or the models - The Polo, Tiguan, Passat, Toureg would be a good line-up along with the Vento and Jetta to fill in the pricing voids - but of course with enough differences to make it appeal to another set of buyers entirely.
In fact, they could bring in the new Phaeton too - which if priced well (read as Phaeton at E350 LWB pricing, not A8 pricing) would do exceedingly well against the Germans.

There's only so much you can do with 2 similarly equipped, similarly sized, similarly priced cars in the same segment before they cannibalize each other.

Keep Skoda for the mainstream brands (badge engineer a Skoda Polo if needed), VW for the more premium segment, and Audi for the Luxury segment.

Last edited by lamborghini : 19th June 2019 at 17:26.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 17:28   #3
BHPian

Similar thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ia-2019-a.html
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

As it is these models are illogically priced. Wouldn't this compound the issue. Especially the T-Roc - I don't see anyone buying what essentially is Creta competitor at 30 lakhs.

Should they even bother launching these products in the first place? Invest that moolah in making the Polo and the Vento more relevant to the market. Or bring the Golf.

VW strategy makes little sense.
Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 17:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
VW strategy makes little sense.
These are just temporary measures to remain in the news for a couple of years till the new wave of products (Courtesy MQB-A0 localized platform by Skoda) is ready to hit the market sometime in 2021.

Till then the only real products they have on offer will remain the Polo and Vento, with the others just being halo CBU imports.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 18:06   #6
BHPian

I was at the VW service station yesterday to get the cracked glass on my Polo GT replaced. At the body shop there was a Beetle that had severe frontal damage and the airbags had deployed. I asked the service advisor on the turnaround time for repairs on that car and he said at least 4 months since none of the parts are available in India and all had to be imported. In addition the situation was similar for Passat, Jetta and the Tiguan as per him. I'm pretty sure the repair and spare part situation won't be any different for these new CBU models.
Why launch cars when you can't provide quick availability of spare parts. I can understand a couple of weeks to get the parts and another week to conduct repairs. But 4 months is ridiculous especially when you charged an arm and a leg for the car to begin with.
And then they worry about single digit sales.
yd_gli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 18:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Why launch cars when you can't provide quick availability of spare parts. I can understand a couple of weeks to get the parts and another week to conduct repairs. But 4 months is ridiculous especially when you charged an arm and a leg for the car to begin with.
And then they worry about single digit sales.
4 months is definitely over the top, especially for more mass-market cars like the Passat and Tiguan.

That being said, with most Germans, once the car is discontinued - getting parts isn't so easy.
I've had to wait 20+ days for a fuel lid related part on our E60 5 series.

I'd expect the parts to arrive in a 2-3 weeks at most and then work to continue at full speed.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 19:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
4 months is definitely over the top, especially for more mass-market cars like the Passat and Tiguan.

That being said, with most Germans, once the car is discontinued - getting parts isn't so easy.

I'd expect the parts to arrive in a 2-3 weeks at most and then work to continue at full speed.
Thats sounds about right. I have a rear door replaced under warranty on my Jetta last year as a scooter guy came and hit. It took 2 weeks for door to come and i got the car 3 days after that. Didnt have to leave the car with the dealer while the part was under shipment.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 20:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Yup. 2-3 weeks sounds about right. Whether the VW techs have the know-how and workmanship to work such repairs on these complex machines is another story altogether.
That said, the Touareg is a beautiful machine and given the finances I'd get it whether spares are available or not.
yd_gli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 03:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Imported cars + Lack of local spares + General attitude of VW service centers + poor customer protection = Disaster for the customers of these cars if something goes wrong.

VW seems to be in the limbo for sometime now. Do they dedicate financial and engineering resources to the Indian market or do they exit soon?
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 07:55   #11
BHPian

Even as an interim measure this is nothing less than stupidity.

Just Consider these two factors -

1. T Roc will be inferior to Tiguan, but will be priced at par or higher than Tiguan, with former being CBU

2. Tiguan Allspace will be very similar to Skoda Kodiaq, but will be priced around 10 Lakh extra being CBU

Hard to foresee anyone queuing up to buy these

Either the report is wrong or VW is proving they do not have the managerial talent to survive the Indian market.
CoolFire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:11   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sigh....

In other words, these cars will be just like the other CBUs VW has sold in India. Bombed at launch, few customers were ever interested & easily forgettable. Does anyone today even remember the Touareg & Phaeton? I feel bad for the dealers who are saddled with these slow-moving white elephants.

I think VW India suffers from memory loss. To refresh their memory:

Polo GTI stock cleared after a massive price-cut

25-lakhs off on the Phaeton
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:19   #13
BHPian

How are the spares availability for CBUs? Do they also have to be imported? Any special servicing requirements? Whats really the catch here?
Old 20th June 2019, 14:43   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
How are the spares availability for CBUs? Do they also have to be imported? Any special servicing requirements? Whats really the catch here?
Service parts should be in stock. Specific parts will take time. A VW dealer could perform a routine service but would struggle with specific issues. I've seen Touregs gathering dust due to transmission issues also the 3.0 litre diesel is difficult to tune. You need a good independent.

The Phaeton is on another level in sophistication. It beats the W140!

The bunch that are planned to be imported should be okay as long as you dont prang it!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 19:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
These are just temporary measures to remain in the news for a couple of years till the new wave of products (Courtesy MQB-A0 localized platform by Skoda) is ready to hit the market sometime in 2021.

Till then the only real products they have on offer will remain the Polo and Vento, with the others just being halo CBU imports.
Great strategy. Just hope they come out with something that is contemporary rather than behind the market like the Polo and Vento launches. Their ability to read the Indian market or the competitors has not been stellar by any stretch of imagination.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks