Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 11:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: Renault-Nissan to stop selling diesel cars in India

Not that this will cause a big impact on the Indian market considering their minuscule presence, Renault intends to move on from diesel engines by the time BSVI comes into effect next year.

Starting next year, there's no 85hp Duster, there's no diesels, what will Renault sell?!

Quote:
French carmaker Renault, which unveiled the Triber multi-seater on June 19, has said that it will also give up diesel engines when India moves to Bharat Stage VI emission norms next year.

Renault is the second car company to make such an announcement following the lead taken by car market leader Maruti Suzuki which said that it will stop manufacturing small diesel cars post the implementation of BS-VI from April 1, 2020.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...c-4116141.html
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Renault to stop selling diesel cars in India

As reported in economic times, Renault will stop selling any diesel cars in India from 1st April 2020 due to new emission norm kicking in i.e. BS-6.

CEO states that the petrol cars will continue to on sale and the major focus will be on the development of EV vehicles by 2022.

Source - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/69861410.cms

These kinds of developments are surely opening a pathway for EV vehicles.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Rumour: Renault-Nissan to stop selling diesel cars in India

That's the upside to BS-VI! All the antique diesel engines will be bowing out. The only diesel engine Renault has in India is the oldschool SOHC 8-valve powerplant.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 12:24   #4
BHPian

So with stopping of Renault diesel car sales, I believe it will be the end of the Duster, Lodgy, Captur, Kicks and Terrano, so Renault dealers will have just the low margin Kwid and Triber selling, and Nissan dealers will have nothing good to sell.

They must launch the next gen petrol Micra, Sunny and Clio immediately if they don't have any diesels to sell, or even the Nissan Note.

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 20th June 2019 at 12:26.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's the upside to BS-VI! All the antique diesel engines will be bowing out. The only diesel engine Renault has in India is the oldschool SOHC 8-valve powerplant.

However, its the same engine that Mercedes has found usable in the latest iteration of the A class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced...z_OM608_engine

Besides, there are plenty of other current applications of the same engine (K9K) in European vehicles from the Alliance.
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 13:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The new norms by the Govt is really forcing manufacturers to wake up and get their act together for the Indian market. Emission norms on one side are forcing antique diesels out, and on the other side cheapo companies like maruti are forced to give ABS. And airbags as standard. Good times these!

Another thing the Govt is doing right is timing the switchover to electric and hybrid. With most current engines needing a complete overhaul or replacement, we can see a lot of manufacturers switch over to electric and hybrids.

Last edited by JayD : 20th June 2019 at 13:09.
JayD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 16:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if the CEO is aware of the fact that Indians don't take petrol powered SUVs seriously. If Renault is 'really' planning on phasing out all Diesel engines after 2020, they have lost half of the battle already, as competition like Mahindra, Hyundai and Tata are focused on making their diesel engines BSVI compliant in the SUV segment.

The volumes segment where Maruti and Hyundai rules is too difficult to crack given they don't have any presence except the Kwid and re-badged Nissan cars, so I see Renault trapped between a rock and a hard place till EVs become widely accepted. They should bring some international models like the Clio or Zoe EV for people to take them seriously.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 16:13   #8
BHPian

Does that mean Ford's 1.5 SOHC 8 valve diesel will also be discontinued?
Old 20th June 2019, 16:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Not sure if the CEO is aware of the fact that Indians don't take petrol powered SUVs seriously.
There's a missing piece of the puzzle here - the insane taxation on petrol has to go in order for petrol SUVs to sell. I'm guessing that the government may change the tax structure to make petrol cheaper than diesel so that our buying behavior will get altered.
Old 20th June 2019, 17:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
There's a missing piece of the puzzle here - the insane taxation on petrol has to go in order for petrol SUVs to sell. I'm guessing that the government may change the tax structure to make petrol cheaper than diesel so that our buying behavior will get altered.
The price difference is the lowest its been in a long time, taxes on diesel have been increased long ago. The costumers don't go for petrol because the engines are hopeless compared to the diesel options, across segments, average fuel efficiency is at least 50%more in the diesel version.

Renault can stop selling diesels and vehicles also as their sales have tanked spectacularly. 2 litre turbo petrols are quite good, smaller engines are just terrible in heavier applications, petrols are extremely sensitive to fuel quality, so diesel is still good for highway runs,given that it takes lower quality and gives higher range.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

What was the point of Renault-Nissan launching Kicks so soon the diesel exit? Apart from Kwid, who buys Renault petrol?
Old 20th June 2019, 17:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The price difference is the lowest its been in a long time, taxes on diesel have been increased long ago. The costumers don't go for petrol because the engines are hopeless compared to the diesel options, across segments, average fuel efficiency is at least 50%more in the diesel version.
The lower fuel efficiency of petrol cars is precisely what I had in mind when I said what I said. I'm talking about lowering petrol prices by lowering taxes to the point at which petrol retails in most other countries (that I calculated with anyway - the US, European nations, a few APAC nations etc.); it works out to ~INR 40 to 50 per litre, versus the gargantuan INR 73 we pay right now.

If we were able to get petrol at 40 a litre, fuel efficiency will not be a concern to the extent it is now. I reckon that our people won't feel jittery about driving a 8 Kmpl petrol SUV then.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Even if Renault and Nissan stopped selling cars instead of only diesel cars, I think they won't be missed! With GM gone, Ford going going gone, I don't think Renault stands a chance to crack the Indian market.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 21:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

To me,

Renault to stop selling diesel cars in India

sounds almost similar to

Renault stops selling cars in India.

Agreed diesel demand is dwindling, but I am pretty sure it still has a major chunk of sales for Renault, esp from Duster.

I love that K9K (110hp) engine, its arguably more refined and liner in power delivery when compared to the Multijet 90hp.
fx45 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 04:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nobody will blink an eye. The whole Renault Nissan alliance has been forgotten.
But yes, I agree that No diesel Renaults means no Renaults. (Except for the Kwid)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Not sure if the CEO is aware of the fact that Indians don't take petrol powered SUVs seriously.
I think the market for petrol UVs are slowly growing. Reason- depreciation. I've seen more people buy petrol Cretas and Crystas these days as they want to keep the car for long and have low running.

If the Duster has the Nissan Sunny's average 1.5 L petrol, ain't nobody buying it.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2019 at 08:27. Reason: typo
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed