Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: 7-seater Kia MPV could take on the Maruti Ertiga

According to a media report, Kia is considering a 7-seater MPV that could rival the likes of the Maruti Ertiga and Mahindra Marazzo.

Rumour: 7-seater Kia MPV could take on the Maruti Ertiga-kia-carens.jpg

Reports suggest that the MPV could be based on the same platform as the Seltos mid-size SUV. It is expected to be positioned below the Kia Carens. In addition to competing in the domestic MPV market, Kia might also export it to markets like Indonesia.

Earlier this week, Kia unveiled the Seltos in India. The 5-seater SUV is expected to go on sale later this year. It has been reported that Kia believes a 7-seater Seltos will not be able to offset the development costs. Therefore, the company is looking at an MPV that could cater to a different customer base.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 16:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: 7-seater Kia MPV could take on the Maruti Ertiga

This is a very good strategy from Kia, they have all the products under their belt. All they have to do is understand our market well and bring the right product and price it well. At this pace, I believe Kia will soon beat some of the existing manufacturers pretty soon and play a significant role in Indian automobile industry. Rough tides now, I hope our market settles pretty soon and opens gates for Kia. It's nice to see a brand considering Indian market pretty serious and setting steps in the right direction. This should definitely set an example for others.
SpideyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 18:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

I've sampled the Carens abroad and though the car was typical Hyundai quality inside-out, the size was comparable to old Ertiga and the third row seats were too cramped.

Hope they increase the size of the car when launching it against the newer Ertiga.
Old 21st June 2019, 23:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I've sampled the Carens abroad and though the car was typical Hyundai quality inside-out, the size was comparable to old Ertiga and the third row seats were too cramped.

Hope they increase the size of the car when launching it against the newer Ertiga.
As per the Autocar's article, Carens was used in the article just for representation. Kia is planning to build another MPV below Carens based on the Seltos platform. it would be nice if they can make 3rd row more spacious and accommodating.
SpideyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 13:34   #5
BHPian

Yes! Yes! Yes! Bring it on Kia! The Ertiga sorely needs competition for Maruti to wake up and stop doing the bare minimum needed. It comes on an unsafe platform, has average build and skimps on some seriously useful features in the lower models. All it has going for it is a nice design and good space utilization.
Old 22nd June 2019, 14:04   #6
BHPian

What Hyundai could not do, Kia is attempting. Certain segments were exclusively ruled by MSIL particularly Omni, Eeco and Ertiga. And there are certain segments, Hyundai could do well but hasn’t ventured in. For example a 7-8 seater MPV with 1.6 diesel motor placed below Innova above Marazzo should do well. It looks like Kia’s initial strategy is to fill the gaps in Hyundai’s portfolio.

By bringing a budget MPV, Kia would not eat into Hyundai’s portfolio but will take MSIL head on. It would be interesting because the Ertiga is evolving as well and may grow tougher by the time Kia brings this on.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 22nd June 2019 at 14:13.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:35   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bring it on, Kia! The cash-rich & super-aggressive company is very clearly targeting segments which have less competition & lots of potential to grow. That's smart, instead of launching just a hatchback or compact sedan in crowded categories.

Kia MPVs have a decent reputation internationally. However, I don't think this proposed MPV will be an Ertiga competitor. More like Marazzo IMHO. Plus, remember, Kia is speaking the "value" and "premium" language in India.

Am shocked that Hyundai hasn't rolled out an MPV in its 20 years in India, despite our love for family vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
It would be interesting because the Ertiga is evolving as well and may grow tougher by the time Kia brings this on.
So true. The new Ertiga is a huge leap ahead of the 1st-gen. And the recently introduced 1.5L diesel is a sweet motor too.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

KIA surely has aggressive plans and are already differentiating themselves from Hyundai(who focused more on small cars to start with).

We have seen previous attempts doing not so great - Xylo, Mobilio, BR-V, Enjoy, Evalia, Lodgy. They all tried to attack either Innova or Ertiga and grab the market share.

Apart from the Innova and Ertiga, others have not really tasted success in selling MUV i feel. Marazzo though sells in 4 digits, feels like a "poor cabbies innova" and is no where close to the sales figure of Innova. Interesting to see how Kia wants to tackle this !!

I also wonder how the markets react once BS-VI kicks in. Diesels are not favoured anymore and petrol+MUV combo is not that fuel efficient(assuming the MUV are meant for the cruising)
Old 8th August 2019, 12:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

KIA to launch its MPV in early 2020.

Quote:
Keeping in mind, that our next product (most probably MPV) will be launched in the next six months
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th August 2019 at 12:09.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 12:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely and I hope it's true!! Just hate monopolies in markets and MSIL has had it for too long in many segments. Awesome that rich multinational companies are finally looking at us as a mature market for quality products and not as a dumping ground for outdated models with worn out stamping presses sent to India.

The car looks so good!

Now that these things are arriving, I wish again that the wonderful station wagons come back. Only in Germany where they are still liked I think. And I know my wish won't be granted. The moment car's length increases, we want 2 more seats .

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th August 2019 at 12:38.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Really love the direction Hyundai and Kia is taking. They seem to have a clear plan for India unlike the others. MSIL monopoly has actually been threatened with Venue. Never the last few years has someone threatened to take such an important segment away from MSIL.

Kia has got quite a few MPVs availiable in their portfolio and they know how to make it attractive for buyers. And Eritga is not without its faults. Only reason it does well is because of lack of competition. Mahindra messed up the marazoo feature spread and has left that segment open for more players.

I won't be surprised if few years down the line Hyundai and Kia togather enjoys more market share than MSIL.
Old 8th August 2019, 15:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Carnival MPV gets a clean and simplistic design inside-out.
It is likely to come with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Kia’s UVO connected car tech, powered front seats, and more
The Carnival MPV will sit above the Innova Crysta in India.
It is expected to be priced from Rs 22 lakh to Rs 30 lakh (ex-showroom).

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...-launch/34727/

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 8th August 2019 at 15:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks