Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 12:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: New Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill: Lots of sensible changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I have a slightly different take on this. I believe increasing the fines to 1000+ rupees will be a big deterrent in traffic law enforcement. The reason I say this is that currently with fines of 100-500, a lot of people would pay them and get a receipt. However with fines on the better side of a thousand will make sure that cops let off these folks with a bribe equal to the previous fine. Hence no record of offenders is created in the system (no repeat offenders ever)

Folks would gladly pay 100-500 bribe to be let off and won't demand a receipt.
The way I see it, corruption will increase and the govt would be none the wiser.
Let me offer a differing view on your point; actually your point itself suggests how large fines will help increase the enforcement.

If the fine amount today is Rs 2500, the police can easily demand up to Rs 100-200. If the fine amount is Rs 25000, the police will demand proportionally higher - maybe not linearly proportional, but quite high because for them it is a winning situation. For the offender it is a losing proposition and he would like to minimize his damages.

The offender will ensure that next time he is not caught for an offence where even the bribe is very high; ergo increasing the enforcement.
alpha1 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 13:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

If the fine amount today is Rs 2500, the police can easily demand up to Rs 100-200. If the fine amount is Rs 25000, the police will demand proportionally higher - maybe not linearly proportional, but quite high because for them it is a winning situation. For the offender it is a losing proposition and he would like to minimize his damages.
Sorry It is another way for Govt. to make up for loss of revenue. As usual working class in cars will end up paying for frivolous charges so that Police can meet revenue target.

Unless people who drive realise importance of following traffic rules no amount of fine will deter them. This applies to pedestrians also. In one of the thread an esteemed person supported pedestrians crossing main road though it was illegal and dangerous as he felt climbing skywalk was too cumbersome. If such educated people talk like these how can traffic fatalities be reduced.

What we lack is traffic discipline which needs to be enforced not be due or Jail but by cultivating a habit to follow rules.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 06:45. Reason: Spacing
FrozeninTime is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:37   #18
BHPian

I don't think this is going to change things much. The violators today violate law because there is a very minuscule chance of them being caught (how much they pay once they are caught comes later). Our enforcement levels are so pathetic, I am more sure of not being caught that being worried about the fine amount.

So, unless enforcement levels are improved, I don't see people fearing the law.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 06:45. Reason: Spacing
Old 25th June 2019, 15:39   #19
BHPian

It is good that higher fines are being considered. As pointed out earlier, now it may be cheaper to pay parking fines than park in a mall. Not sure if this will be passed though. One can go over archives of news, and see that this has been in the news for some time now.

Slightly off topic- it is frustrating to see how in Bangalore at-least, the traffic police believe that revenue generation is their only job. You would see one inspector and five constables standing barely 50 metres from a jammed junction and they do nothing other than weight to jump at the two wheeler rider riding without a helmet.
Caramba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:49   #20
BHPian

So, here's a situation what happened a couple of days back. My friend who just came to Bangalore from Indore was a a little over whelmed with the traffic on MG Road and there were many people taking the left towards brigade road he just took the left along with the crowd. Most of the people went through but he was caught as he had a registration plate which was of MP. 2 things happened here, one might have taken the left at the orange light but since he was from a different state he was caught over others and another issue here was the language barrier. Even though he had all the documents he was asked to pay a fine for jumping the signal. Even the cops knew that he came along with 5-6 other riders but only he was caught and mostly it was orange. The cop was demanding 400 for jumping the signal, which I am not sure how is it rational? I was around and I spoke to them in Kannada and he was left without any fine! This was still ok, as the cops in Bangalore (most of them) are really good and friendly. They are authoritative but do not push! Whereas in other states/cities there are cops who just exploit the powers given to them and make sure they squeeze each and every penny out of you! I have seen people get away with drink and drive for 5000~6000 right in front of Raheja arcade in koramangala imagine other states and cities! The idea of higher fines is to make people adhere to rules and respect them. But everyone misses the actual point, safety! We should adhere to these rules for everyone's safety! Until we can get this message to the masses, no amount of fines can work the magic! Higher actual fines = higher revenues, post meeting the targets higher bribes! The underlying issue will still not be addressed! Yes, a few more people will adhere to the traffic rules due to the fact that they will have to shell more money. But a system which is driven by fear is bound to fail.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 17:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
All rules are quite ok and easy to follow except that speed fine rule.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem in following speed rules but the issue are something different.
I doubt if a non WB resident will understand what is going on in WB.

Traffic fines are a major revenue stream. And the system is set up to maximise this - from ridiculous speed limits to amber lights which are on for 2 seconds at most to ...

Another bad fallout of treating these revenue earners as VIPs by the state government is their level of arrogance in dealing with the general population.

Wish all these had been an election issue. We might be getting refunds now!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 20:11   #22
BHPian

Update:

Govt has approved this Amendment.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/govt-approves-motor-bill-steep-penalties-for-traffic-offences-proposed/articleshow/69931092.cms

It is just a question, from when it will be active.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 06:43. Reason: Minor spacing
Old 25th June 2019, 20:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Update:

Govt has approved this Amendment.

It is just a question, from when it will be active.
Deja Vu!! Cabinet has approved it. It still needs to go through floor test in Lower and Upper House. Lower house is no problem but upper house is the place where deadlock could occur due to lack of numbers.
Old 25th June 2019, 21:20   #24
BHPian

I hope they had considered couple more issues:

1. Common platform to register vehicles from all states, and online way to transfer registration from one state to another. They should automatically transfer the amount from previous to next state, with the person only paying balance if any

2. Have owner history available online including major accidents so that used car buyers can verify before buying car on car's ownership and accident history.

3. Transfer of ownership should be a simple task online with both buyer and seller completing the transfer details online.

4. Ensure that truck fleet operators and taxi aggregators compulsorily have a training every year on road rules. I am sick of slow moving trucks meandering along on the right lanes on highways without giving way to faster traffic. Also uber/ola taxi drivers are the worst in clogging traffic and bad traffic behavior.

5. Require all truck fleet operators, taxi aggregators, travel fleet operators to compulsorily provide hands-free sets for phones to all their drivers. The taxi drivers driving haphazardly while talking on the phone is very dangerous.

6. Maintain central database of all truck drivers/taxi drivers so that anyone causing fatal accidents shouldn't be allowed to drive a public vehicle again

7. Compulsory training every 6 months to one year for all bus drivers. They are like death on the road, driving rashly, stopping in the middle of the road, overtaking rashly etc.
sanchari is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 00:05   #25
BHPian

Re: New Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill: Lots of sensible changes

This Bill has got stuck in RajyaSabha since 2017 due to NDA govt 's lack of majority in RajyaSabha. NDA is expected to get majority in RajyaSabha only at the end of 2020. Till then, nothing is going to happen to this bill. It is going to remain on paper only.
Old 26th June 2019, 04:27   #26
BHPian

Don't get me wrong here but why should only the motorists be fined? All the pedestrians using the roads should be fined too for not following the traffic rules. For e.g not using the Zebra Crossing, talking over the phone while crossing the road. Usage of earphones in congested areas while walking should be prohibited etc.

The motorists can become civilised but how would you control these notorious lot who think they own the road and do whatever they want to having no respect for automobiles.

Just this other day this guy randomly jumped in front of my vehicle & I had to brake hard to save him, luckily the driver behind was also attentive and braked at the right time or else he would have rear ended me. We both got out to see the situation upon which the guy began hurling abuses. Though fortunately, an elderly gentleman came to our rescue and slapped him tight right in the middle of street which further escalated the matter but he was some hot shot in that area and a lot of people came up in order to support him so that guy had to walk off apologising to all of us but there should be strict action taken against such people. A better way of reaching the revenue target for our hard working officers.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th June 2019 at 06:43. Reason: Minor spacing
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 10:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
talking over the phone while crossing the road. Usage of earphones in congested areas while walking should be prohibited etc.

Oh Boy!! This is a serious and real issue - especially near colleges/schools/etc. Most of the youngsters will have their earphones on all the time they are on the road. Really wonder what they are listening to so avidly!
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 11:48   #28
BHPian

As much as India needs a new, stricter Motor Vehicles Act that takes into account the traffic realities of today, none of it can be achieved without the active participation of the police.

In the last few years, Indian cities have massively scaled up urban video surveillance and now in all major cities, traffic cops manage traffic and issue e-challans, I've paid a few on the Mumbai Traffic Police app myself. I was very surprised to read, a few months ago, that MTP has over 40 crores in unpaid challans, and my first thought was - was stops an organization as powerful as the Mumbai Police to collect this payment? Or, do they even want to enforce that these are paid? Or, are they too stretched to bother about enforcing this payment? I have concluded that most people on the road have stopped taking these e-challans seriously now. Speaking on the phone, illegal parking, wrong side driving are very common in the city now.

So my point is, what good will enhanced fines do when traffic police are unable to create a fear and discipline among drivers even for existing challans.

I was in Jaipur last year and noticed almost all two wheeler riders had helmets on. I inquired and found that the police were extremely strict in enforcing helmets, so then it became the norm (just like ruthlessness against drunk driving in Mumbai curbed it to a large extent).

So my second point then is, even if only the existing rules and regulations are strictly enforced, we shouldn't even be needing newer regulations.

Last edited by Abhejit : 26th June 2019 at 12:04.
Abhejit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 08:32   #29
BHPian

Update for people in Karnataka - This is effective from today!

one more penalty added by the state govt. is increase in the parking fine fee from rs.100 to Rs.1000. Towing charges is extra. So be extra vigilant while parking your bike/car.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le28192264.ece
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 09:00   #30
srh
BHPian

The Indian state is back to what it does best - passing laws without due thought or effort towards implementation. A state without the capability and capacity to enforce is dreaming big again. We again want to enact first world laws with third world infrastructure. It approaches everything with a colonial mindset on controlling instead of enabling.

This whole effprt is meaningless. It will only mean that the ability of the RTAs and traffic police to extort bribes will suddenly jump. Postings in the department will become more lucrative. Coalition partners in governments will battle harder to wrest the transport ministry.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed