Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:53   #91
BANNED

Re: New Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill: Lots of sensible changes

A good set, I like the 'clamp down' on drunk driving. Also, as i pointed out cars were caught doing 161 and 167 kph on the ALE.

I only hope the penalties do not encourage the local cop to demand baksheesh.
Old 10th August 2019, 16:31   #92
BHPian

Any specifics on the inter-state transfer of vehicles?

I had heard the state taxes shall be abolished, but what I could understand they remain, only the system would become online(which is some part of process), you do have to visit RTO for some, which ensures agents get to extract the money they want.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th August 2019 at 16:47. Reason: please use proper punctuation and do not type like this..................
Old 10th August 2019, 18:01   #93
BHPian

Only fines seem to have been increased across the board. How is that going to make anyone a better driver ? Will only lead to fatter bribes for the policemen.
sharninder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 19:04   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Only fines seem to have been increased across the board. How is that going to make anyone a better driver ? Will only lead to fatter bribes for the policemen.
Because we learn only via the language of the Dhanda (stick). Current fines are hogwash and the proposed fines if enforced properly will significantly dent our pockets.

Eg; When the Hyderabad ORR was opened, people drove with reckless disdain and speeds. Now there is strict enforcement of speed limit and heavy fines. Now, almost 99% drivers follow rules, lanes and speed limits. They are now automatically good drivers who follow the rules of the road.
Old 10th August 2019, 20:26   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Because we learn only via the language of the Dhanda (stick). Current fines are hogwash and the proposed fines if enforced properly will significantly dent our pockets.

While I agree with your reasoning, I don't think that makes us better drivers. It only makes us follow speed limits for example, which IMHO is a silly idea anyway, but that's a different thread.
What will make better drivers (and citizens) of us is if we stop changing lanes recklessly, if we stop trying to squeeze in any available gap at the slightest opportunity, making 3-4 lanes on a two lane road, keeping a safe distance from vehicles, being considerate towards others on the road, follow lane driving, not tail gate ambulances, give way to ambulances and so many other things.
My point is that increasing fines only makes us follow those simple rules like jumping signals, keeping to a speed limit etc. but it doesn't do anything to "teach" us better driving. The govt/RTO in this manner is no different from the cops who're out in full force towards the month end to meet their "targets".
Old 1st September 2019, 14:35   #96
BHPian

Get driving licence, register car, bike at any RTO in Maharashtra

So could this lead to over burdening say on MH 01 RTO? cause many Mumbaikars & Thanekars may want to have the snob value of South Bombay as well as No.1 of the state on their plates.

Quote:
MUMBAI: From Sunday, you can apply for a new driving licence at any of the 50 RTOs in Maharashtra, irrespective of where you reside or work. You can also register your car/bike anywhere in the state, as the newly-amended Motor Vehicles Act comes into effect from September 1. The Act stipulates that if you fail to renew your driving licence for a year, you have to go through the entire process of driving competence tests again. If juveniles are caught driving, parents will be fined and the vehicle (bike or car) will be "de-registered" for a year.

State transport commissioner Shekhar Channe said a government notification was issued on Saturday, but the department was seeking "clarity" on few amendments. "I have instructed my staff to allow cars and two-wheelers to be registered anywhere in the state. But we need clarity on whether a car registered by someone with a Nagpur address in Mumbai should be given a Mumbai or Nagpur numberplate. Similarly, for driving licences, who should be the sanctioning authority, although we are willing to generate licences from any of the 50 RTOs. Once we get clarity early next week, we can proceed smoothly," he said.

A senior RTO official said as per the new law, an applicant can get original proof of residence, Aadhaar card of his native town and get cars registered or even apply for a new driving licence at any of the four city RTOs. "I welcome this, as often citizens who have migrated to Mumbai from other cities/towns in the state want a new licence," said Amit Sathe, who hails from Nagpur but works in Mumbai.

The rules for licences also mention the applications for learner's licence will be user-friendly, and can be submitted online. The minimum educational qualification to drive a transport vehicle has been scrapped. It also enables application for addition of other classes or descriptions of motor vehicles to a person's driving licence through a "smooth" online process.

The transport department will liaise with National Informatics Centre (NIC) to update software with the new rules and penalties. The Act allows applications for recording change of residence or place of business in vehicle registration certificates to be made online, and to any registering authority in the state.
SOURCE
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70930974.cms
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 16:42   #97
AWD
BHPian

What about wrong Parking fines, are they same or increased ? Un-authorised parking is a huge menace & leads to clogging of already narrow lanes. Huge wrong parking fines will dissuade buyers who don't have proper parking spaces buying new vehicles.
Old 1st September 2019, 16:50   #98
BHPian

West Bengal, Rajasthan and MP, seem to have refused to adopt the amendments. In fact, West Bengal doesn't even recognize Digilocker for documentation. Interesting to see the unfolding of events and for sure the reports of enhanced bribes and overly enthusiastic cops!

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...156-2019-09-01

For sure, there would be cases of manhandling by police when some enthusiastic youngsters would try to videograph errant cops, who are supposed to pay twice as much in fines. So, road rage involving cops is set to rise in addition to top cops defending the lower rungs in silliest of ways!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 1st September 2019 at 16:55.
Old 1st September 2019, 20:54   #99
BHPian

Do we have clarity on using mobile phone via car's bluetooth speaker ?
I searched the act, could not find much clarity. Seems like earlier Kerala had decided to levy fine for using mobile phone through car bluetooth speaker.

The intent of the law seems to suggest that any sort of disctracted driving would be penalized. If using mobile phone via car speaker is distraction, then speaking to co-passenger is also a distraction isnt ?

Can't imagine how this will be monitored, especially the cabbies use their phones (usually without bluetooth) genuinely to contact their passengers for route clarification, intimating traffic delays etc....

It would be great if the experts can provide some guidance.
gearedup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 22:21   #100
BHPian

Below picture received via Whatsapp Academy.

New Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill: Lots of sensible changes-photo20190901164452.jpg

For our members not familiar with Hindi script, I shall try and translate as far as i can.

Sr No as per pasted picture.

1. Not wearing seat belt
2. Two wheelers carrying more than 2 passengers
3. Driving without helmet - Rs 1000 and license withheld for 3 months
4. Not allowing ambulance or emergency vehicles to pass
5. Driving without lisence
6. Overspeeding
7. Rash / Dangerous Driving
8. Driving while drunk
9. Using mobile while driving
10. If found without permit
11. Overloading of vehicle
12. Driving without insurance
13. Underaged driver

Fines applicable from 1st Sept 2019

Last edited by Ithaca : 1st September 2019 at 22:28.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 22:39   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
West Bengal, Rajasthan and MP, seem to have refused to adopt the amendments..
The reason quoted by law minister of Rajasthan is high possibility of increase in corruption as well as inability of common folks to afford such hefty fines
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...156-2019-09-01

Last edited by RaviK : 1st September 2019 at 23:00. Reason: Added news link
Old 9th September 2019, 17:39   #102
BANNED

Anyone been fined for Alloys + broader tyres on their gypsy/thar/suv?
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 01:00   #103
BHPian

Can anyone please enlighten me on the minimum age for obtaining driving lisence?

I know it's 18 years, but still have a lot of confusion in mind. Some articles states that driving lisence can be obtained only after 25 years if a juvenile is caught driving! So the 25 years applies only for those who do under-age driving?

All other's still can apply for lisence upon reaching 18 years right?

I'm 17 now. Turning 18 this November, so I hope you people understand why I'm so curious
Old 10th September 2019, 09:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo_GotBhp View Post
Can anyone please enlighten me on the minimum age for obtaining driving lisence?

I know it's 18 years, but still have a lot of confusion in mind. Some articles states that driving lisence can be obtained only after 25 years if a juvenile is caught driving! So the 25 years applies only for those who do under-age driving?

All other's still can apply for lisence upon reaching 18 years right?

I'm 17 now. Turning 18 this November, so I hope you people understand why I'm so curious
In Karnataka atleast this rule apply "To obtain a learner’s license for gearless two-wheelers, the applicant must be of at least age 16 and above."
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 10:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post
The reason quoted by law minister of Rajasthan is high possibility of increase in corruption as well as inability of common folks to afford such hefty fines
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...156-2019-09-01
I can understand the corruption part but inability to afford hefty fines. What is this ration that people are buying? Fines are a deterrence. If you abide by the law, you will not have to pay the fine. So i don't buy the argument of "HEFTY FINES".

In country like ours, Fear is the only thing that makes people do something.

Most Viewed