Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 21:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh

It's a good effort by Tata. Mahindra's Veritos and E2Os are used by multiple corporate cab providers. They have dedicated charging station and so a range of 80-100 is perfectly fine for employee pickup and drops from short distances. I think Tata is venturing in this segment and hence the Tigor EV.
For a regular general user this will not make sense unless your daily commute is minimal and you have a charging station handy. Some corporates in Bangalore provide charging points in office campus and do not charge for parking if the employee owns an electric vehicle.
Kona is supposed to be leagues ahead - very good range, power etc. But it will also come at double the cost I guess. Tigor EV has its own merit in the 12-14 lakhs EV range where the only other player is Mahindra.
busydrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 11:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Both Tigor EV and Mahindra eVerito are result of governments effort to kick start e-vehicle segment in India. Nitin Gadkari in his last stint created the framework for acceptance of e-Vehicles for government intra-city usage as official vehicle for various departments of central government.

Tata Motors won the tender and were L1 supplier and Mahindra was L2 and the order was split in 70 % and 30% ratio between the two.

The result is frugal engineering meeting the demand and specifications created by government for fleet of union government e-vehicles at the price point desired. The reason they are offering it to fleet operators is that it is designed to service eed of biggest fleet operator ( central government).

This is neither a jugad or substandard in any manner.

Many people on Team-BHP have very bad habit of deriding any such effort.
Just like not everyone buys feraris and settle for a Maruti or Honda, Government or taxi fleet operator are not going to buy a Tesla and need some thing more practical and cheaper.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd July 2019 at 07:13. Reason: Typo
amitk26 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 15:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Both Tigor EV and Mahindra eVarito are result of governments effort to kick start e-vehicle segment in India. Nitin Gadkari in his last stint created the framework for acceptance of e-Vehicles for government intra-city usage as official vehicle for various departments of central government.

Tata Motors won the tender and were L1 supplier and Mahindra was L2 and the order was split in 70 % and 30% ratio between the two.

The result is frugal engineering meeting the demand and specifications created by government for fleet of union government e-vehicles at the price point desired. The reason they are offering it to fleet operators is that it is designed to service eed of biggest fleet operator ( central government).

This is neither a jugad or substandard in any manner.

Many people on Team-BHP have very bad habit of deriding any such effort.
Just like not everyone buys feraris and settle for a Maruti or Honda, Government or taxi fleet operator are not going to buy a Tesla and need some thing more practical and cheaper.
What irks some of us is that the EV tech has improved so much in the last 10 years and these large companies now put out offerings thats can't match the state of the art from before 2010 (in the price context). It gets uglier when you throw in the fact that the price of Lithium ion batteries (of course there are other things in an EV, but this is considered the most prohibitive) have come down from more than 1000 USD per kWh to less than 200 USD per kWh. So making a 250 km car should be the least these behemoths can do. Anything less than that is dragging their feet and hence a crime to the society considering the price of externalities and hence deserve criticism.
sreeharipv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:35   #34
BHPian

Autocar takes a look at the Tigor EV

Some excerpts from the video:
- 3 Phase 30KW(~40hp) AC induction motor occupy the engine bay along with AC charge socket, DC socket is same place as the regular fuel filler lid.
- 16.2KWh Li-ion battery under the rear passenger seat
- Spare wheel in the boot, will reduce effective boot volume compared to the standard Tigor
- Gear selector is from Tigor AMT, State of charge dial instead of the tacho
- 100km range seen far less than the claimed 140kms
- Powertrain more refined than the E2O
- Adequate in the city, out of depth on the highways
- 18.84s 0-100kmph timings (Range drops by quite a bit during acceleration runs)
- 15KW DC fast charger gives it a 0-80% in a claimed 90mins. Total 50 of such stations across the country.
- Full charge from a regular wall charger takes 6hrs (translates to 100km range) .
Mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 18:55   #35
BHPian

Just a comparable example for everyone to ponder upon:
Now a days, many mobile phones are available with 5000 mah batteries, which claim they can last more than a day (remember the earlier non-smart phones would last weeks and even some blackberries would easily last more than a day).

However, Apple in their iphones, Samsung in their S & Note series, Oneplus, etc. dont have these large batteries.

Does that mean these companies are not good? Are they being lax in providing the latest technology?

No. In fact, these models are considered pioneers in terms of technology. Similarly, providing 100 km range doesn't make it a junk product. It is not meant for people who drive cross country and enjoy it. Its meant for a different market / demand.
Off topic, same logic applies for the Bajaj Qute !!!!
aashishnb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 17:58   #36
Team-BHP Support

Appears that the CM of Bihar will use the Tigor EV for his runs within the city. Guess he doesn't require too much of range

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-cm_bihar.jpeg
moralfibre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 18:40   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a Tigor EV for the first time here in Bangalore. Seemed quite peppy in the time I was following and riding alongside. Good to see a newer model car in an electric version. Much better than the Verito which are common in Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 19:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
T

Tata knows that whichever fleet operator buys the Tigor EV will do so for specific reasons (e.g. PR, image). They will thus know what they're getting into & put up with the product's shortcomings. Fleet operators usually have access to better infrastructure and will be okay with the limited range & downtime (due to charging).
There is a company Lithium cabs in Bangalore they started with modifying Reva / E20 with bigger batteries and serving corporate customers. Now a days they have moved to e-varito. Fleet operators with similar profile are right target customers apart from government.

https://www.thebetterindia.com/56961...njay-krishnan/

Many Tech parks and corporate offices in Bangalore are equipped with plug points I think SAP labs and Phillips were the first to give free charging points some 10 -12 years back and later others also started reserving few parking slots with plug point of e-vehicles.
Old 26th July 2019, 19:57   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Excuse me if this is a silly question -

I noticed the Exide battery in the engine compartment
The electrics - lights, horns, wipers, radio, etc are all 12V. Hence the battery is needed.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 20:23   #40
BHPian

Tata Motors slashed its electric vehicles (EVs) prices by up to Rs 80,000 following government's decision to bring down the GST on electric vehicles to 5 per cent. The price reduction will be applicable across all the variants of Tigor EV.
source
truezealous is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 22:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
What irks some of us is that the EV tech has improved so much in the last 10 years...
The keyword from the quoted post of Amit is the price point. This would also be the price point that mango people like me would be willing to plonk on an EV as well. 30L odd on a Kona is well beyond my reach.

Besides its not just about the R&D, localization percentage is key for EV to lift off in this country.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:08   #42
BHPian

Tata Motors made available Tigor EV for Tata employees in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-screenshot_201908142159462.png  

Deepsp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 21:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

While I sincerely appreciate what Tata has come up with up i.e. 200Km range at 12.xx ex showroom price, but the reality is that I simply cannot bring myself to accept the fact that it has just 40Hp and takes 18.xx seconds to reach 80.
That's Maruti 800 performance at Creta prices.

A slightly more powerful motor, with around 70-80Hp would have been more acceptable.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 21:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The electric motor is powered by a 16.2 kWh battery that is claimed to offer a maximum range of 142 km (MIDC cycle). The battery can be recharged to 80% of its capacity in 360 minutes using a normal charger. With a 15 kW fast charger, the charging time to 80% is said to reduce to 90L][/b]
i am wondering if 142 km is the advertised range, what would be the real world range in our city traffic. I personally would only buy an EV if range is in 500km range. So that even if i get 50% in traffic scenarios , i wont have to stress about car dying on me.

But good on Tata though, baby steps in EV world. I am guessing they tie up with taxi operators to understand the various situations.

Good luck Tata
Old 9th December 2019, 14:22   #45
BHPian

Spotted this EESL owned Tata Tigor EV today.

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-20191209_142030.jpg

Tata is in to supply 6.5K-7K EV'S to EESL, and they claim to be making money on each car sold as well.
More details here: https://www.tatamotors.com/media-pre...l-tata-motors/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks