Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (FY19). Petrol dominates all segments, except UVs

Very interesting & informative thread!

The UV space will bear the biggest brunt of BS VI. It's a ticking bomb from a technological perspective. City rides will become more troublesome for Diesels, particularly in stop-go traffic due to Particulate Matter (PM) restriction. Stop-Go kind of drive generates more PM. OEMs are aware but nothing they could do other than import European Technologies because Euro 6 already proven there. (And also due to least respect / support to indigenous R&D in Engines & Powertrain in OEMs)

So, the point is, it's a double whammy for Diesels. The number of after-treatment devices go up which will increase the initial price by at least 20%. Then during the operation, one must regularly pay attention to the health of mechanical devices that impacts the emission. If anything malfunctions or gets damaged a repair is warranted and you shall only be able to drive in low speed, limp-home mode. It's to be seen, how effective that compliance will be in India. However, if the Emission device gets damaged, prolonged use without repairing will damage Turbo-chargers and then the Exhaust Valves and ultimately the Engine.

Many people are knowing this fact and that's why there will be a strong demand for pre-buying of Diesels in UV before Apr 2020. IMHO, this trend in UV will be strong by up until Apr 2020 and then dips down, well to be seen
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (FY19). Petrol dominates all segments, except UVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Contrary to this, the Etios Liva does enjoy some fan following amongst the personal car buyers. The petrol Liva is a great city car with ample amount of space and good safety ratings. The dual tone variant along with those alloys does look attractive. The reliability too is not a concern.
Two of my CA friends bought them on company lease , an uncle of mine had it as well, one that I used to sort of take care of, absolutely hated them. I remember that it's service costs are ridiculously low. Etios has a good petrol engine and its about 20kgs more than liva so you get good performance. Apart from engine and gearbox, there is nothing else, it is very hard to justify the purchase for anyone who is into cars. The reliability isn't that great either thanks to the boot light switch defect that drains the battery (there was a recall). So was the durability, cracked windshield, flimsy plastics, bumper etc. Even cabbies hate all these things but mileage and low maintenance costs keeps them buying into it. Liva has even lesser things going for it.

Sorry for the rant but Toyota treated Indian market poorly with that one.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 11:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great thread, thanks for sharing Volkman10!

In SUVs & MUVs, diesel will always dominate due to their torque, fuel economy & long highway tank range. Body-on-frame petrol UVs guzzle fuel like a burning oil field. E.g. on the Fortuner Petrol AT, I have seen 4 kmpl .
I am surprised that at that mileage, there are still 193 Petrol Fortuners sold

I have seen that there is a marked difference between the thought process of buyers in Tier 1 urban centers and Tier 2/3 cities and rural areas. In rural areas and small towns it almost always diesel for anything more than a hatchback. The math is simple for them. Diesel is cheaper than petrol and diesel gives more mileage than petrol. In the long run, the feeling is diesel more than compensates for the initial cost difference. My friends and relatives in my native which is a small town have all got diesel cars. My friends in Blr are more evolved car buyers who go more by the merit of the car and engine than the diesel cost factor. My neighbor in Blr who travels a lot, has a Diesel Fortuner AT and a Petrol City AT and he tells me that he loves the drive in City more than Fortuner.

Another difference in thought process I have seen playing out prominently is the decision between MT vs AT. In urban centers, I see that people are increasingly moving towards AT due to all the traffic concerns. In small towns and villages, the thought process is that AT consumes more fuel so I am ok with MT, however good the AT may be.

So it would be interesting to see the Petrol vs Diesel sales break-up between urban and non-urban areas
mchandra13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 14:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Most sold Top 10 diesel cars in FY19.

Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (FY19). Petrol dominates all segments, except UVs-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 15:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Compact Sedan

Attachment 1889341

- Though it is a petrol segment the logistics market narrows the gap between the two.
In compact sedan segment, I assumed Diesel Amaze will be selling more than petrol version due to Honda bringing the diesel CVT But well, petrol overtook there too. Interesting.
Vishfull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 08:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandra13 View Post
I am surprised that at that mileage, there are still 193 Petrol Fortuners sold
Well, don't be surprised. There's a section of people who don't bother about mileage and I am not talking about the ultra-rich here. Government employees(example SBI branch manager I guess) are paid for the almost entire fuel bill every month by office. They themselves only have to worry about EMIs of the actual car, that too at a subsidized rate of interest being an employee. So petrol turns out cheaper to live with & becomes a preferred option. Am sure few of those 193 belong to this category.

A relative of mine has 3000+kms running every month but happily uses a petrol car. When I asked why not a diesel when he recently changed his car, he told me about this. Imagine running your car without worrying about fuel bills

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th July 2019 at 09:13.
Old 5th July 2019, 11:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Most sold Top 10 diesel cars in FY19.
Wow. Out of 5,76,768 Diesel cars mentioned here, MSIL sold 3,04,766, roughly 52-53%. I was just wondering, by April 2020, Since MSIL is not ready with BS VI Diesel engine, these MSIL contributions are going to vanish at least for 6-9 months. Now the question remains, who is going to eat into that large pie. Will MSIL be able to push more petrol sales to minimize the loss or will others just stamp their authority here.
Here are my observations.

1) Huge potential for Honda to push Amaze Diesel sales with Dzire not in picture. New Amaze with Diesel CVT is already a success. Hope they plan properly.
2) Mahindra seems to be doing nothing to promote Marazzo. With Ertiga not in picture, they can utilize this. With Triber Launching only in petrol by FY2020 , and no other MPV in direct competition, hope Mahindra Marketing guys realize the potential here.
3) The biggest fight is going to be the race to eat into Brezza pie which is a whopping 27% of total diesel sales. Almost everyone is ready with their respective CSUV's. Will be really interesting to see who wins here. If Hyundai can manage production constraints, they can steal the thunder with Venue.
RaghuVis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 12:32   #23
BHPian

I own a diesel car now and I would never buy a diesel car again.

The lower running cost of diesel is a farce. Whatever cost saved by higher mileage and lower cost of diesel is compensated by expensive injector replacements and initial premium of diesel engine.

The injectors on my car are on the verge of failure for the second time in 86500 KM . The previous time one injector failed which costed 22000 plus two days of my time plus 10 days downtime for the car.

I shudder to think how many has failed now .
I would happily spend more on fuel and not bother about these unscheduled work and expenses.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 13:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I own a diesel car now and I would never buy a diesel car again.

I can guess which car that one is. However, your case is applicable only to that brand. There are Toyotas that have clocked 3.5L kms and XUVs with 2.5L kms on odo with absolutely no engine-related issues at all.
Old 5th July 2019, 15:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
The injectors on my car are on the verge of failure for the second time in 86500 KM . The previous time one injector failed which costed 22000 plus two days of my time plus 10 days downtime for the car.
Well petrol car owners will rarely run more than 1 to 1.5 lakh in the car's life span. And most modern day petrol engines are as complex as diesel engines, most of the new petrol cars are turbocharged and have complex electronics just like a diesel, so they have an equal chance of failure as well.

Regarding the injectors, they can be replaced outside for just Rs.12000 and you can also clean rest of the injectors as well, you may find a good injector shop outside for the same.
Injectors are an issue commonly seen in the old 1.4 Ford TDCI, pre 2012 1.6TDI and 1.2TDI and the Renault 1.5DCi.

There are diesel engines that run for lakhs of kilometers without any issue, say the Toyota 2.4D-4D or even the 1.3Multijet. So generalising the increased maintenance cost of one car brand on all cars that run on diesel is not justified.
Aditya_Bhp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 14:35   #26
BHPian

It would be interesting to see the petrol vs diesel comparison in terms of the Indian geography by classifying them under north, east, west, south and central.

It is generally considered that north India prefers petrol engines owing to colder winters (though recently I've witnessed many diesel powered cars in my last trip to Delhi), and that south India prefers diesel engines.
laferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 15:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
The biggest fight is going to be the race to eat into Brezza pie which is a whopping 27% of total diesel sales. Almost everyone is ready with their respective CSUV's. Will be really interesting to see who wins here. If Hyundai can manage production constraints, they can steal the thunder with Venue.
I sincerely do hope that Ford gets their act together and start setting things straight by restoring the features in Ecosport. Such a good vehicle but being hampered by removing Sync3 which is one of the biggest selling points atleast according to me.
avigneshwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:54   #28
BHPian

Hi Guys, this is an interesting data point from standpoint of Petrol vs Diesel Mix and how the trend is moving in direction of Petrol.

Thank you for this post. It is really helpful.

Can someone let me know that where are CNG vehicles been captured?
Old 16th September 2019, 08:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

2019 Petrol Vs. Diesel in the Premium executive sedan segment (D)

Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (FY19). Petrol dominates all segments, except UVs-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 10:31   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Customer preference shifts to Petrol as BSVI implementation nears.

SUV buyers favour petrol models ,greater use of SUVs for city driving, narrow difference between fuel prices key factors.

Quote:
As much as 35% of all utility vehicles sold in the local market in September 2019 run on petrol, as against a modest 17% just a year back.
- Maruti Suzuki’s Ertiga — where the company has on offer both petrol and diesel driven options — 56% of the sales come from the petrol variants.

-Kia Seltos and MG Hector, nearly half the sales are coming from petrol-driven options.

- Hyundai Venue, 65% of the sales come from petrol options.

Quote:
if you go higher up, there is a customer set who likes diesel for its better pulling power
- Creta, for instance, the ratio stands reverse at 35% petrol
Quote:
Demand for diesel will fall dramatically for all vehicles strapped with less than 1.5-litre engines post BS-VI. Only diesel engines with capacity of 2-litre or more will continue to be viable after the switchover to BS-VI emission norms
Link

Most Viewed