Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 AMT launched

The Mahindra XUV300 is now available with an automated manual transmission (AMT) option. It is available on the W8 diesel and W8(O) diesel variants for an additional cost of Rs. 55,000 over the price of the manual.

Mahindra XUV300 AMT launched-image010.jpg

The XUV300 AMT is powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 115 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 300 Nm @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed AMT that has two modes - Auto and Manual. It also gets a Vehicle Creep function, which is disabled when a door is opened. Other features include Electronic Stability Control, Hill Start Assist, Downhill Mode, Kick-Down Shifts and Anti-engine Stall as well as Drive and Reverse Lock Out that prevents sudden shifts between reverse and drive unless the speed is below 5 km/h.

Mahindra XUV300 AMT launched-image008.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300 AMT is available in three colour options - Pearl White, Aquamarine and Red Rage.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 19:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 AMT launched

How is this different from the "other" AMT's ?? , I am tempted to test drive it to see whether we get a "burp" often seen while gear shifts in traditional AMT's...
Old 2nd July 2019, 19:47   #3
BHPian

Looks like Mahindra is not using the infamous AMT which was doing duty in TUV300. Instead, this time they are sourcing the AMT unit from Magnetti Marelli, like Maruti. I hope this one is more reliable than the TUV300 AMT.
Repsol is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Top end W8(o) diesel AMT version is ~ 16L OTR in Bangalore.

And this, despite having the magical formula of a sub 4m body, <1.5L diesel engine & an AMT transmission!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

And this, despite having the magical formula of a sub 4m body, <1.5L diesel engine & an AMT transmission!
Car prices have gone to crazy levels. I wonder if it is that there are buyers ready to shell out money or buyers don’t understand the different automatics and they don’t realise they are being ripped off.

Or just maybe government is the biggest beneficiary here. We could get a fantastic speced C2 sedan with all round disc in 2011 at 10-11L and now all we get is compromised quality with average engineering at 17L.
aniyo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:21   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As I've posted earlier, an AMT has no business being offered in such a premium vehicle. The XUV300 deserves a proper torque-converter AT (which I believe is being developed). Would suggest that buyers give this a pass. Mahindra's earlier AMTs have been notoriously unreliable too.

Really got to respect Hyundai & its commitment to quality. Hyundai gives you a superior AMT experience in an entry-level hatchback that costs less than half of the XUV300 AMT (Santro has a smoother AMT with electronic actuators).

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2019 at 21:23.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
At this price, the more than 2 lakhs cheaper and 5 star safety rated Nexon is more bang for buck.

In a market filled to the brim with overpriced cars, XUV300 is another one. Can't really blame Mahindra though. This car has been selling great numbers since launch. A price cut across the range before introducing the AMT would have helped change the perception. But we are living in a world where only money talks.

Last edited by strawhat : 2nd July 2019 at 21:31.
strawhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 22:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I wonder if it is that there are buyers ready to shell out money or buyers don’t understand the different automatics and they don’t realise they are being ripped off.
I won't be surprised if that's the case! I was discussing with a friend after I bought the EcoSport AT (which has a torque converter). He said he doesn't like automatic cars. Turns out, he had driven someone's Kwid automatic (which is an AMT) and had been put off by the jerky gear changes and thought that every automatic car behaves the same way! I ended up explaining him the different automatic gearbox technologies.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 22:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Someone forgot to tell Mahindra sub-4M rules are supposed to have a cost benefit! Small car with budget autobox, but full asking price. Non starter.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd July 2019 at 22:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 00:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

So a 16L AMT & only available in diesel

Probably the most expensive AMT in our market currently. Premium and AMT can't be had in the same sentenc. Period!!! But then going by manual sales numbers, this might as well find some takers.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 00:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So a 16L AMT & only available in diesel

Probably the most expensive AMT in our market currently. Premium and AMT can't be had in the same sentenc. Period!!! But then going by manual sales numbers, this might as well find some takers.
Let's not forget that Renault Duster also has AMT. So I think these two are head on price-wise.

On a side note, atrocious pricing by Mahindra. 80k extra for sub-standard AMT is definitely not justified. This might be good as a marketing strategy but as past trends have suggested, sales of overpriced vehicles taper off gradually. So lets just wait for a year or so and see how the market responds.
tp_dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 00:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:

The Creta diesel TC automatic sounds like a value package now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Premium and AMT can't be had in the same sentence. Period!!!
Off-topic trivia: The Lamborghini Aventador that retails at 5-7 Crores on road has an AMT box.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 3rd July 2019 at 00:44.
petroguzzler is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Off-topic trivia: The Lamborghini Aventador that retails at 5-7 Crores on road has an AMT box.
but fascinating! 50ms shifting speed on an AMT!!!

Either ways, from what I read, they didn't have a choice. Manuals would burn clutches because of the massive torque, and they didn't have any reliable DCTs at that time. They designed the car around the compact AMT gearbox so now there's no room for a bulkier DCT without redesigning the whole car. Looks like they're coming out with a DCT version in a year or two from now.

I still can't get the 50ms shift speed out of my head. It probably means AMTs have a huge potential for improvement over the years, and shouldn't be written off as a cheap alternative. If we can match the shifting speed of a DCT and offer similar performance, AMT can kill DCT because it can be lighter, occupy less space, have fewer moving parts and be much cheaper to make.

Coming back to the AMT on the XUV300... I took a TD oner the weekend, and it surely doesn't have the Lambo's AMT. Not by far! It struggles to find a gear when accelerating on a gentle incline, for a long 3-4 seconds. On flat surfaces, it performs quite alright.
saisrujan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Well, you know what I meant. Mass market cars sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Let's not forget that Renault Duster also has AMT. So I think these two are head on price-wise.
Well top end XUV3OO is actually around 60k more than duster and with current discounts on the latter, its actually cheaper by decent margin. But then the mahindra is much more modern and feature loaded. I wonder what would be the price for this had mahindra got it in original Tivoli size(4.2m), in which case the sub4m benefits wouldn't be applicable. Probably would have given head-on competition to Creta & all this AMT jugaad wouldn't be required(a proper TC would be better any day).

BTW what this will do is, shift the segments further. If these sub4m crossovers can cross 15L OTR, I don't see the next gen creta & similar cars(4.2+m AT crossovers) anywhere under 20L. Damn

Last edited by SoumenD : 3rd July 2019 at 08:44.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
but fascinating! 50ms shifting speed on an AMT!!!

I still can't get the 50ms shift speed out of my head. It probably means AMTs have a huge potential for improvement over the years, and shouldn't be written off as a cheap alternative.
That gearbox was well know to be a neck breaker All the fast Lambos now have DCT except the Aventador. Being an AMT owner, I would say it has long way to go for us enthusiast to enjoy, its not so comfortable for point A to point B commute too.Only for sub 10L car, AMT makes total sense.

Its better to pay 1L premium for DCT or CVT than 40K for AMT.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks