Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 22:53   #181
BHPian

re: India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thanks, Volkman! Have been waiting to see the interiors of the Commander/Meridian. Some thoughts-

1. Looks are subjective, but on the whole, typical classy looks from Jeep. Though i do find the flattish rear a bit boring, mini-van-ish. The current Compass has a much more attractive rear

2. The brown interior finish looks nice too! I would prefer it over the all black and all white that we have today.

3. There is a slight increase in width- will that translate into a noticeable wider bench? Hope so

4. The 3rd row is best for kids, though the reclining function for that row is a nice touch. Think Jeep made the right choice of providing a usable boot vs unusable one (like Safari) with all seats up. 233 liter boot will take in some small suitcases and bags.

5. 4WD is again a miss on the petrol -

6. Slightly wider tires as compared to Compass- 235 vs 225. I see Pirelli and Michelin available in that size in India

7. India launch- mid 2022, but looking at how abysmally Jeep has handled the 2021 Compass facelift launch- the delays and the niggles, do not think niggle free deliveries for the Meridian will happen before end of 2022. A long wait indeed then.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 26th August 2021 at 22:55.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 08:06   #182
Team-BHP Support

Overall, this is actually the perfect Compass I would have looked for in terms of size (I would consider this as a comfortable 5 seater with a proper boot, not a 7 seater).

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-421850
As per the latest ACI link above, the India spec Meridian will get bumped up power in mild hybrid guise. Previous ACI articles had indicated the power to be approx 200 BHP.

While the Brazilian-spec Jeep Commander diesel does not get the speculated mild-hybrid system, the right-hand drive versions of the Commander (Meridian) that will be produced in India is expected to get a mild-hybrid system with more power.

Jeep Commander (Meridian): India launch details

The Commander will be sold as the Jeep Meridian in India and will launch by mid-2022. Key rivals in India would include the Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour and Skoda Kodiaq.

UNQUOTE

Price:. My biggest concern is price. Even if we accept the Compass as right priced, the Meridian ought not to command a more than 5 lakh premium in on road terms (less if you ask me, even revised engine factored). That would translate to an on road Mumbai price of approx 39 lakh if I were to compare to the top of line diesel compass. I fear however that they may try to take their top of line offering into the 43 - 45 lakh on road zone going purely by how the Kodiaq and Endeavour segment is priced.

Paddle Shifters: Again, a very personal pet peeve but I am utterly disappointed to read that this vehicle (one flirting in the 40 lakh territory) will come without paddle shifters.

But all that being as it is, this goes right up there with my possible list of my 2022 /23 purchase options. So my current tentative short list to add to the 3 GT (overlapping a few years till the GT is sold) is:

Creta D (A/T); XUV 7OO; 2022 Tucson; 2022 Jeep Meridian; [5D Thar?].
Attached Thumbnails
India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-78b1bc28ce9b435eb6eeda65e250e599.jpeg  

Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 08:16   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Commander, Official video:

volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 13:41   #184
BHPian

Based on the on-paper dimensions and character, I am least confident that this will be pitched against the mighty body on frame SUVs of the segment - Endeavour, Fortuner, Gloster. The right race for this Meridian is to go against the upcoming Kodiaq, Tiguan, XUV700 (top end) - similar to a Compass which goes against Harrier, Hector, Tuscon, Citroen, etc.

Also, I don't think it will come cheap as well. If it is going to cost around 36-40L on-road, it's going to create a niche market similar to its 5 seater sibling.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 13:57   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

The Commander (Meridian for India ) is a worthy competitor to the Skoda Kodiaq and Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace, I don’t think it will affect the sales of the Ladder-on-frame SUVs like Fortuner and Endeavour.

Also with a length of 4769mm the 3rd row is looking extremely cramped! The height of the car at 1682mm not helping either.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-c4b79a7ab53e4e0694fa061bccdaa983.jpeg

Will India’s Meridian get Compass tail-lights? As seen in this spy shot from India, or they are only for testing purposes?

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-06d9aafba18641c7913bcb4c1031eb67.jpeg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-16ea6f1f503944fab30027cd96055120.jpeg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-b4b0ba2d8be74030b3027d43b8983e0b.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:17   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Based on the on-paper dimensions and character, I am least confident that this will be pitched against the mighty body on frame SUVs of the segment
Agree. Very difficult to erode the halo of the body-on-frame biggies, specially the Fortuner.
The Meridian's primary competitor base could be the Kodiaq (190bhp facelift due this year), Tiguan Allspace and the facelifted Hyundai Tucson due next year.
The Safari & the XUV700 alongwith the Alcazar will be a distant second set of competitors (those who are seeking only a 7-seater option).
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:31   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Agree. Very difficult to erode the halo of the body-on-frame biggies, specially the Fortuner.
The Meridian's primary competitor base could be the Kodiaq (190bhp facelift due this year), Tiguan Allspace and the facelifted Hyundai Tucson due next year.
The Safari & the XUV700 alongwith the Alcazar will be a distant second set of competitors (those who are seeking only a 7-seater option).
The main people pulling factor of Meridian would be the choice of a diesel engine while its competition (kodiaq, Tiguan, etc) will come with petrol-only models.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:51   #188
BHPian

A classic looking automobile. No matter how bad their cars are in their long run it seems that its only the Americans who keep their designs close to classic and not destroy them just for the heck of doing it. The Toyotas, the Hyundais and the Mahindras need to take a leaf out of the American design books and not intentionally spike their good designs.
AJITHAAA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 15:56   #189
R_R
BHPian

My two paisa worth: it does look very classy on the inside and the outside, but still very cramped. Admittedly, the Brazilian fellow test-driving it is on the large side, but even accounting for that, it still very cramped inside. The second row does not look like it can accommodate three adults (much like the current Compass, obviously). So it still remains essentially a 4-seater, with occasional 5th passenger in the third row for short distances. If this is priced Rs. 30L +, it runs up against the upcoming Isuzu MU-X (assuming Isuzu India decides to bring it in my lifetime), the new Ford Endeavour (assuming Ford decides to stay in India) and the next-gen Fortuner (though I suspect this would be priced astronomically high). Hmmmmm, wait a minute: mebbe the Compass Commander isn't too bad?!?
Old 27th August 2021, 17:40   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The Commander (Meridian for India ) is a worthy competitor to the Skoda Kodiaq and Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace, I don’t think it will affect the sales of the Ladder-on-frame SUVs like Fortuner and Endeavour.

Also with a length of 4769mm the 3rd row is looking extremely cramped! The height of the car at 1682mm not helping either.
At 1682mm headroom will be limited at 3rd row, but length looks to be on par with Fortuner. Even wheel base seem to be quite good. With VW group pulling off diesel, even at price on par with Endeavour/Fortuner, this is a good option for folks who don't need body on frame.
Old 27th August 2021, 18:40   #191
BHPian

Maybe it’s just the photos but despite the car being just 72mm (4,769 mm) longer than the XUV 7OO (which is 4695mm), the boot with all three rows of seats up seems a bit bigger. Perhaps its the way the pictures are taken or maybe the engine bay doesn’t take up as much space on the Jeep as it does on the XUV 7OO? Because 72 mm translates to just about 2.8 inches which isn’t a lot.

Anyway, the reason I am comparing this with the XUV 7OO is because that’s a car I am extremely interested in and so is the Jeep. I’ve been in love with the Jeep brand for a long time but couldn’t digest the high price which is one of the reasons for purchasing a Hyundai Creta. I guess this time around also, it’ll be the same. Much as I love the Jeep Commander, I think I’ll have to settle for the XUV 7OO since Jeep might price the Commander at a premium - perhaps above the Fortuner and Endeavour
Old 27th August 2021, 20:26   #192
Senior - BHPian

I quite like its slab sided profile, like a modern-day interpretation of the Volvo 850 estate

Jeep has to 'thank' Mahindra I guess for launching this Commander version under a different name for India
Old 28th August 2021, 08:19   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by the pre-sales numbers, the JEEP COMMANDER is an instant success in Brazil:

Quote:
Jeep Commander had more than 2,800 units sold in six hours
Quote:
The pre-sale began yesterday (26/08), at 13h, with a lot of 500 units, which ended in just 30 minutes. These will be the first to receive the SUV, and will also win a welcome kit and the first three free revisions.
Quote:
The second batch, with 1,000 vehicles, ended in the next 15 minutes. That is, in just 45 minutes, the brand had already sold 1,500 units.
Quote:
By the end of the day were more than 2,800 cars sold, ie more than three lots (the third was also 1,000 vehicles).
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 08:54   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
biggest concern is price. Even if we accept the Compass as right priced, the Meridian ought not to command a more than 5 lakh premium
Give the present trends in Auto, I won’t be surprised if the base variant starts at 40 lac Ex showroom by the time it’s launched here.

Quote:
I am utterly disappointed to read that this vehicle (one flirting in the 40 lakh territory) will come without paddle shifters.
Let me tell you from personal experience, paddle shifters work well on fast sedans, on SUV’s these are hardly any used. Maybe if you like them, you may end up using initially but after a while you won’t look.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 09:46   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly this seems like a much nicer car than I had imagined with the initial pics. A worthy rival to the Tiguan Allspace and Kodiaq, and likely to be priced similarly.

I agree with Axe - these cars are good comfortable 5 seaters with the 2 other seats being good for an emergency or a short drive or small kids - or for a very fit young person (eg my 176 cm tall 14 year old - as he insisted on my writing). Still worry about the engine and gearbox though - if it is the same as the Compass, this may be terrible to drive

Last edited by Hayek : 28th August 2021 at 09:51.
Hayek is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed