Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:56   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian

Jeep Commander:

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-247639357_1041945846567057_3154115479888268482_n.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-247703608_1041945839900391_7181558573848505724_n.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-247410227_1041945746567067_5591263539155746553_n.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 07:54   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Commander TVC (Brazil)

volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:38   #243
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Meridian spotted testing in Manali.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1637244465814.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1637244467986.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1637244472637.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 14:05   #244

Should be of help ,if you don't mind the language.
Samay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 21:08   #245
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Meridian testing continues, spotted in Pune.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1640187406592.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1640187408976.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1640187411374.jpg

Sneak peek at the dashboard

Name:  FB_IMG_1640187414071_resized.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  39.6 KB

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1640187414071.jpg

Source : Facebook

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd December 2021 at 21:11.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 18:36   #246
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Meridian spied up close as testing continues.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-smartselect_20211229182719_instagram.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-smartselect_20211229182730_instagram.jpg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-smartselect_20211229182739_instagram.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Old 30th December 2021, 21:51   #247
BHPian

Quick question, even though competition is good for customers, why would any brand launch anything like a "Meridian" against the Toyota Fortuner. The top end Jeep Compass costs around 36L in Maharashtra, this longer version of Compass might land around 40 to 42L and that is Fortuner territory and they are bound to fail. Look at the Gloster for example excellent features over the Fortuner but with few takers.
Old 30th December 2021, 22:45   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Quick question, even though competition is good for customers, why would any brand launch anything like a "Meridian" against the Toyota Fortuner. The top end Jeep Compass costs around 36L in Maharashtra, this longer version of Compass might land around 40 to 42L and that is Fortuner territory and they are bound to fail. Look at the Gloster for example excellent features over the Fortuner but with few takers.
Lot of people end up comparing the new entrants in the 7 seater market to the segment leader always, the Jeep Meridian is a monocoque 7 seater SUV that should be compared with the likes of the Skoda Kodiaq and not the BoF Fortuner. The Skoda Kodiaq and Jeep Meridian will have a very similar price according to me, and not all people want a BoF SUV, considering the monocoque SUVs offer more comfort. Want an abuse friendly car, that can take you anywhere and won’t break a sweat or your wallet in the long run, only then consider the Fortuner.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 23:18   #249
BHPian

I agree on the BOF vs monocoque comfort thing, but people/websites will always compare based on the pricing. Even if we compare the Kodiaq with the Meridian, it still fails. Jeep doesnt have anything on sale except the compass, ignoring the wrangler here based on numbers. Skoda on the other hand has Rapid/Slavia and Kushaq for the numbers. A performance Octavia and luxury Superb. Unless Jeep reduce the pricing of the compass before launching the Meridian, it doesn't make any sense. I am not saying it wont sell, I am saying they should consider changing their pricing strategy to survive the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Lot of people end up comparing the new entrants in the 7 seater market to the segment leader always, the Jeep Meridian is a monocoque 7 seater SUV that should be compared with the likes of the Skoda Kodiaq and not the BoF Fortuner. The Skoda Kodiaq and Jeep Meridian will have a very similar price according to me, and not all people want a BoF SUV, considering the monocoque SUVs offer more comfort. Want an abuse friendly car, that can take you anywhere and won’t break a sweat or your wallet in the long run, only then consider the Fortuner.
Old 31st December 2021, 02:31   #250
Team-BHP Support

@sreejinair. Not sure what you’re trying to say here.

Yes - people compare both by product and by price - to that extent, not only will it be compared to Fortuner, it might get compared even to Superb (price), Camry (price), Tiguan / Kodiaq (price / body style). It may even get compared with 55 lakh offerings like X1 / Q3 since its similar body style. Fact is, for its target customer it will make a case of its own.

Will a Fortuner likely sell more units than the Meridian - Quite likely, Yes.
Does that mean it will not have its own clientele - Not at all. It will create its own niche.

Even the Endeavour took on the Fortuner smack on in its own segment and while the Fortuner outsold it, the Endeavour mustered its own share of numbers and had its own following.

Today, if someone wants a plush, spacious, 5 seater, diesel 4x4 monocoque SUV within 45 - 50 L on road (speculating here since its not launched yet), a Jeep Meridian is likely going to be at the TOP of the list. (I’m saying 5 seater deliberately, discounting for the limited usability of the third row of many vehicles in this class - Kodiaq and Allspace included).

Let’s wait for the vehicle to be launched but from what I have seen from Brazilian reviews as well as the 2021 Compass, it seems like it can easily hold its own in front of a Kodiaq.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 09:47   #251
BANNED

It is a habit in India to compare products in in India by cost.

Many a times a VFM product from a higher segment gets compared to a product from the lower segment because the prices are similar. This actually ruins the VFM product image as it is from the higher segment. This has happened many at times.

Of course, here we are talking about 2 products which are over priced to begin with. Comparing 7 seater Compass to a Fortuner is funny.
Old 31st December 2021, 10:05   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
It is a habit in India to compare products in in India by cost.
Personally I feel there is nothing wrong in dissimilar products being compared and its totally natural too, since cost / budget is one of the firm components of the buying decision.

At the end of the day, if you have 50L in the pocket, its perfectly fine to “consider” totally different offerings recognising their distinct attributes. Like, I have 50L to spend for my transportation vehicle, do I want to do it in a Camry or a Fortuner - the answer depending on which attributes of either are more important.

Its when people criss cross expectations is when the discussion gets wonky. Like - why is my Camry not climbing that huge rock - or why is the Fortuner pitching so much compared to the Camry.

Which is why to Sreeji’s point - someone who simply doesn’t want a BOF is not going to buy the Fortuner over the Commander merely because they straddle similar prices. I can’t imagine how often this has already been said on the forum.

Agree with you generally on the pricing observation but I am no longer sure what to call overpriced. It seems barring some odd exceptions like XUV, Safari etc, 80% of the market is indeed overpriced, then that’s literally just the overall market - maybe we all have no choice but to align to this new pricing reality. Demand supply economics.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 10:21   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Personally I feel there is nothing wrong in dissimilar products being compared and its totally natural too, since cost / budget is one of the firm components of the buying decision.

At the end of the day, if you have 50L in the pocket, its perfectly fine to “consider” totally different offerings recognising their distinct attributes. Like, I have 50L to spend for my transportation vehicle, do I want to do it in a Camry or a Fortuner - the answer depending on which attributes of either are more important.
Its when people criss cross expectations is when the discussion gets wonky. Like - why is my Camry not climbing that huge rock - or why is the Fortuner pitching so much compared to the Camry.
Fully agree with these points of view

We still see quite a few specific type of customers out there, who start their buying decision with a price range Rs X lakhs - Rs Y lakhs.
Then they pull up options in that range including everything in that price bracket, be it a crossover/SUV/sedan etc.
Next step is then usually about deciding which car looks (design, features) and feels (test drive, market perception) good, including a comparo across all options listed.
The penultimate step is about finalising the price at which they are really comfortable to buy that car.
The last step is then haggling and taking the plunge.

During the above process, do these category of customers really decide upon a specific segment and then go deep into evaluation, and eventually end up buying a car within that segment itself? Difficult to say yes.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 10:47   #254
BHPian

Quote:
it might get compared even to Superb (price), Camry (price)
I was comparing apples to apples as in SUV to SUV of the same price range, monocoque or bof doesnt matter and I'll explain why

Quote:
Will a Fortuner likely sell more units than the Meridian - Quite likely, Yes.
That was my point, doesnt the Jeep want more sales in India? Pricing it in Fortuner territory and since it is an "SUV" people will compare.

Quote:
Even the Endeavour took on the Fortuner smack on in its own segment and while the Fortuner outsold it, the Endeavour mustered its own share of numbers and had its own following.
It did and it was/is much more comfortable than the fortuner, so people will compare a monocoque suv to a bof or a bof to a bof suv even if comfort is the only criteria

Quote:
Today, if someone wants a plush, spacious, 5 seater, diesel 4x4 monocoque SUV within 45 - 50 L on road (speculating here since its not launched yet), a Jeep Meridian is likely going to be at the TOP of the list.
Keyword monocoque, also assuming the Meridian to have more width than the outgoing cramped Compass. Monocoque has an ingress/egress and handling advantage over bof, but I beg to differ that monocoque's are more comfortable than bof, I would prefer Endeavour over VW Tiguan any day when it comes to comfort. I know this because that's what I drive everyday, the Tiguan that is. Of course not everyone is going to say Tiguan is not comfortable because not every one deals with lumbar issues. So the keyword "monocoque" doesn't make any difference when comparing vehicles, the comparison is bound to happen as long as they are suv's and of the same price. Oh forget that bof's can be more comfortable than monocoques, a lot of the buyers wont even know the car they are buying is a monocoque or bof, hence people will compare suv to suv regardless of it being monocoque or not. I'm not sure I'm explaining this right or not, but I don't understand why its difficult for anyone to expect that Fortuner and Meridian will get compared if Meridian is priced at the same price.

Quote:
Its when people criss cross expectations is when the discussion gets wonky. Like - why is my Camry not climbing that huge rock - or why is the Fortuner pitching so much compared to the Camry. Which is why to Sreeji’s point - someone who simply doesn’t want a BOF is not going to buy the Fortuner over the Commander merely because they straddle similar prices.
I just hope that you didnt assume that I was assuming a sedan would climb a huge rock, when comparing 7 seater compass to fortuner

Last edited by sreejinair : 31st December 2021 at 10:53.
Old 31st December 2021, 12:51   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I was comparing apples to apples as in SUV to SUV of the same price range, monocoque or bof doesnt matter
1. The sedan rock example was not aimed at you at all. Was just an exaggeration to drive home the general point that no harm in considering different vehicles as long as you're not expecting from one what you ought to expect from the other.

2. I disagree with your point on simply saying all SUVs must be considered in the same set. The fact that "you" may prefer an Endeavour to a Tiguan is specific to "you". All I'm saying is that if I'm in the market for a 45L non sedan (lets call it SUV / Crossover), I would shortlist it to Kodiaq, Allspace, Tucson and Commander. The Fortuner or Gloster would not even be on my list. My friend just got a Fortuner - a Tucson or Tiguan didn't even feature in his consideration set. Nor did a Gloster FYI.

3. The assumption that lower price equals "higher than competition" sales is a big - well - assumption. Its like saying if a Marazzo was 2 lakh cheaper it would outsell an Innova. That need not be true. Each company knows its target customer and its possible sales (which of course it can err on).
Fact is I can make 100Rs profit by selling 5 units at 20Rs profit or 10 units at 10Rs profit. Where the company wants to peg its profit number at vs units sold is an internal assessment. My sense is even if the Commander were to come at a moot 2L cheaper its not necessary it would outsell the Fortuner. So they can well decide what they perceive as a realistic sales target and price to get profit per unit accordingly.

4. I'm not saying Meridian and Fortuner wont get compared. They may very well be compared and justifiably so. All I'm saying is that the outcome is not necessarily foregone that someone would pick a Fortuner only at that price.

I dont really think I have much more to add without going about in circles. Lets see when the product comes out what holds in store for it.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed