Team-BHP - Mercedes to bring hybrid,fuel cell vehicles,advanced safety to India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mercedes to bring hybrid,fuel cell vehicles,advanced safety to India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/21076-mercedes-bring-hybrid-fuel-cell-vehicles-advanced-safety-india.html)

DaimlerChrysler is all set to roll out their hybrid, mild hybrid and fuel cell vehicles within the next two to five years.

About 60 buses and 60 A-class vehicles in different locations, running on different fuels. The other major focus of the company, he said, was to ensure that ``customers could have fun while driving their vehicles but would be fully protected from all sides in case of accident''.

DCIL would also build a link with a mobile or call centre to give details of the position of the occupant and the severity of the crash so that aid could be brought in fast.

Regarding the radar based cruise control,

It could automatically adjust the distance, accelerate or decelerate as the occasion demanded but at this point of time, cannot detect the presence of a bullock cart.

Source:

The Hindu Businessline

Arent the MB A-class vehicles are known for accident prone vehicles??
Whats happening in india??, are still in the 'hand me down' instead of 'throwing it in the bin' ! ! !

What is the point of bringing in Hybrids or Alternate fuel vehicles into our market? Especially when the buyer's don't care about it in their target segment.

I think this is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for them to pick up a few brownie points with the GREEN lobby. They sure as hell can't sell these vehicles leave alone giving them service support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 367645)
It could automatically adjust the distance, accelerate or decelerate as the occasion demanded but at this point of time, cannot detect the presence of a bullock cart.

I love this, Indian ingenuity beats the latest technology, Hands Down!!!:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkr2k2 (Post 367656)
Arent the MB A-class vehicles are known for accident prone vehicles??
Whats happening in india??, are still in the 'hand me down' instead of 'throwing it in the bin' ! ! !

No the new generation is actually a pretty competent vehicle if not a class leader. Even if they were hand me downs they won't sell in India due to the price tag, three-star badge or not.

The accident prone A-class was the first-generation car without ESP which famously failed the elk test. The new generation has no such problems.

Quote:

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry at that - altho I'd like to do both simultaneously if possible

I have heard that hybrid vehicles are not that fuel efficient[as made out to be] in the first place and diesel vehicles are a better alternative[atleast as far as fuel bills are concerned].

Fuel cell vehicles ,thats a completely different case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 368203)
I have heard that hybrid vehicles are not that fuel efficient[as made out to be] in the first place and diesel vehicles are a better alternative[atleast as far as fuel bills are concerned].

Yes that appears to be the case since reports that are coming in seem to point that driving a Hybrid to achieve maximum FE is quite tricky. And if not driven in the manner it's supposed to the improvement in FE over a normal vehicle is quite minimal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 368203)
Fuel cell vehicles ,thats a completely different case.

Yes but they are yet to be launched commercially since the technology is still under development. Plus the cost of production right now is very high, I think it's going to take another 5-10 years before commercially viable & competitive Fuel Cell vehicles are introduced in the market.

Another option is the Hydrogen-powered BMW engines which are showing pretty promising results but the biggest hurdle against them is the Infrastructure needed to distribute Hydrogen like Petrol/Diesel. But it could work given there is enough support from other Manufacturers & Oil companies.

The best option right now are advanced Diesels with particulate filters. these have comparatively Low Emissions & are pretty good on FE. And this is going to be the case for the next decade or so before the next big technology comes in.

the best hybrid is the Diesel hybrid and Mercedes is already working on it,they showed a S-class diesel hybrid sometime back.

It seems to be like that hybrid vehicles will take over about 70% of the American/European market by 2015 !!!