Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 17:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I wonder how much money is being written off in all these crazy exercises. The stock price has gone down from 600 levels to 150 levels. Even though Hexa was a reincarnation of Aria, I am sure a lot of money would have been spent on the new body panel designs and mating the automatic to that engine. They have already written off a lot of money with JLR. I don't think Tata Motors have deep pockets anymore like they used to 10 years back.

Even the CV business is not doing well. Every new truck I see is a BharathBenz or M&M Blazo. It is only the segment creators like Ace and Magic Iris that does well. Otherwise, their CV portfolio is also in a spot of bother.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th July 2019 at 09:42. Reason: Typos
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 17:55   #17
BHPian

If the Hexa is going to be axed and there is going to be no future for the 2.2 D400 then i think its high time i put up my elephant for sale.

On a separate note, i think i will have better luck with a real elephant to go around than a Tata one. So, goodbye Tata. I bought your Sierra once and regretted it later. This time, the joke is on me then.

Looks like it is time to call my favourite used car dealer.
N33raj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 18:33   #18
BHPian

During 2010-2014, when TML market share was nearing a collapse, TML planned to launch three filler products Zest, Bolt and Hexa. These products were the easiest for them to develop with shortest time to market as lot was carried over from Vista and Aria, a lot of design and development was already on paper. Once these products were in market, a planned clear signal was given to the customer that TATA cars have changed, they’ve become better. Once this market conditioning was primed the company was ready with the second line of defensive products, Tiago, Tigor and Nexon. TML’s sole focus now was the newer models, Zest and Bolt were hardly pushed.
A year later when they were ready with the Harrier the fate of Hexa was sealed. Reason, Hexa is assembled on the same line in Pune where Safari and now the Harrier is being produced. With limited capacity on the line and the Cassini(Buzzard)next, TML will chose to go with better margin products and slowly reduced Hexa and Safari production and planning to phase them out completely before April 2020.
Even if they update the Varicor to BS6, they dont have the capacity to produce 4 models(Hexa,Safari,Harrier, Buzzard) on that line. They will not tell this to the customer, in fact nothing binds them legally to disclose future product plans to anybody. That’s why they say ‘Caveat Emptor’.

Good news is that a company like TML will support all the phased out models with spare parts and service support. Resale definitely will be a falling rock from the sky.

Last edited by hydraulicsteer : 4th July 2019 at 18:37.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 18:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N33raj View Post
If the Hexa is going to be axed and there is going to be no future for the 2.2 D400 then i think its high time i put up my elephant for sale.

I presume you are talking of your Hexa here. Why take such an extreme stand? Is discontinuation of Hexa going to affect you in any way? No, not at least in the next 5 years, after which spares may be an issue.

Do not over think, and enjoy your car. Hexa is a very competent car, no point in getting all worked up on the discontinuation. Selling it will be a knee jerk reaction

Last edited by AkMar : 4th July 2019 at 18:37.
AkMar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 18:49   #20
BHPian

I think anyone who bought a hexa knew this would happen at some point of time and its no surprise. Unfortunately for Tata there are only 300 such folks every month. I for one was prepared to take a 50% hit as soon as the vehicle walked out of the showroom. But now I am pleasantly surprised that the depreciation is on par with all other cars.

In my view, nothing drastic is going to happen once the production stops. The service center I take my hexa to is excellent and have made personal friends with the staff there to such an extent they attend our family functions.

Don't sell the car in a hurry. And I don't think many hexa owners will, because majority are extremely satisfied with the performance. I haven't met once unhappy hexa owner. Mine's right now at 29k and the only issue I have had are 3 punctures.

If the 7 seater harrier is priced close to 25 lakh and has some niggles like the harrier, we never know how many potential customers might come shopping for more reliable used hexas. Keep calm and drive the hexa for now!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 19:51   #21
BHPian

Slightly off-topic, the article says that "The emission limits for BS-VI engines are more stringent for passenger vehicle applications."

Shouldn't the law be the other way around? Total distance covered by all commercial vehicles should be much higher than that of all private vehicles. Or am I missing something?
naikameya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 21:19   #22
BHPian

Thank God I changed my mind at last moment and didn't fell for the modified Aria(read: Hexa). My requirement was an automatic SUV and apart from the AT offered in Hexa I didn't like the shape and basic character of this vehicle as it is too similar to Aria. If Tata had put similar effort on Safari/Storme they could have fetched many more customers including me. I still love my Safari but hate the half heart-ed effort from Tata on Hexa.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa to be discontinued in 2020? EDIT: No, BS6 Hexa confirmed-img_20190619_122914.jpg  

Last edited by roby_dk : 4th July 2019 at 21:22. Reason: Added Picture
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 21:32   #23
BHPian

Looks like it's end of the road for Tata Hexa.
It will be replaced by tata harrier 7 seater ( BUZZARD) due to BS6 norms kicking in.

Source- https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ce-hexa-413331

Looks like I might be able to buy it with heavy discounts that could be offered in a few months

Note to mods - I am unaware of how to start a thread or do not have sufficient access as I am a newbie. Please do create a thread on this topic - End of the road for Tata Hexa.
Old 4th July 2019, 21:44   #24
BHPian

End of the road for Tata Hexa

Seems like Tata is going to pull the plug on the Tata Hexa.
Launched in 2017, a brilliant mpv, super comfortable!

Looks like with the BS6 norms kicking in, Tata may pull the plug on Hexa. However the Tata Buzzard ( 7 seater harrier) is likely to replace Hexa

Source - https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ce-hexa-413331

Please do share your views/news on this matter.

Looks like Hexa maybe offered with great discounts in the next few months.
Old 4th July 2019, 22:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I still love my Safari but hate the half heart-ed effort from Tata on Hexa.
By half hearted, do you mean the product was a half hearted attempt by TATA? Cause let me tell you, there's no car that offers the space, comfort and mature looks that Hexa does at the price that it sells.
If you meant TATA's half hearted attempt at saving the product and just going with an easier route (discontinuing the car), then i would have to agree.
Kudos on your choice, but going above the price ladder isn't a solution for all and you may even find the Endy to be 'half hearted' in your terms if you simply jump 10 lakhs higher!

To others, it depends how you view the scenario. For example, am now more excited at pitching this product as a no-brainer to a few colleagues and friends who are on the lookout, given the discounts that could be made available. As for the spare availability, there's absolutely no concern as TATA is one of those brands that supports models which are over a decade old. The royal treatment you get at TASS is another added plus.

However, honestly speaking, it would have been a delight to see this car through BS6 and as someone rightly mentioned, most of us bought a Hexa knowing the imminent risks BS6 could bring.

Cassini will have a really tough time to meet expectations and i have a feeling, if it becomes a sales dud, it would be the curse of the Hexa!
abhi7013 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 23:08   #26
BHPian

My brother is almost close to finalising a Hexa XTA (white+Black dual tone) and is likely to buy it in July.

It really does not matter if a car is discontinued immediately after your purchase if you plan to keep the car for a long period say 10 years at least. IMO if you love the car and take proper care of her she is going to love you back and reward you with its loyalty and fuss free running.

I faced a similar situation when i purchased my Santro Xing GLS in 2008. Hyundai sales rep's were trying to convince me to buy the recently launched i10 but my heart was set on the Santro. I went ahead and took Santro home and within a years time it was discontinued. However i drove the Santro for the next 11 years without any major problem apart from normal wear & tear.

There are so many cars on the road which have been discontinued or companies shut down (Chevrolet) but there is absolutely no problem with ASS. I am sure Tata will also continue to provide services as usual.
SaurabhB is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 07:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Hexa to be discontinued in 2020? EDIT: No, BS6 Hexa confirmed

Good opportunity to grab big discounts on what is a solidly engineered vehicle, if you’re not the sort that follows general perception. Especially the XTA with that brilliant autobox. It was a bargain at the listed price, it will get even better now.

I hope TML manufactures a few until the deadline. Permanent doubters be damned - this was a bloody good vehicle.
Steeroid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 07:53   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata Hexa to be discontinued in 2020? EDIT: No, BS6 Hexa confirmed

Quote:
I completely agree with AkMar! What difference does it make, as long as you are happy with your car?

Because I buy pre-worshipped cars & retain them for long, most of the cars in my driveway are usually discontinued. 2 of the 3 cars I currently own are discontinued, while the 3rd is on the brink of being so. Doesn't matter to me. I enjoy driving them & they serve the purpose they were bought for.

Please retain your car. Expensive cars anyway depreciate like stink and you'll lose a lot of money. The Hexa is a very competent MPV.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 07:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a separate note, i think i will have better luck with a real elephant to go around than a Tata one. So, goodbye Tata. I bought your Sierra once and regretted it later. This time, the joke is on me then.

PM me, please. May consider buying if you’re desperate to sell.
Steeroid is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 10:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post

There are so many cars on the road which have been discontinued or companies shut down (Chevrolet) but there is absolutely no problem with ASS. I am sure Tata will also continue to provide services as usual.
Having had a tough time getting an Optra serviced, because the dealer shutdown and the spares are hard to find, and then you get 12000 Rs as exchange value, then somehow you sold the vehicle to cut further losses. It was a fine running reliable car thought, Chevrolet left a bad taste overall with poor support even when the brand was alive.

Tata has better business ethics and I would guess the support would be good for a number of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
By half hearted, do you mean the product was a half hearted attempt by TATA? Cause let me tell you, there's no car that offers the space, comfort and mature looks that Hexa does at the price that it sells.
If you meant TATA's half hearted attempt at saving the product and just going with an easier route (discontinuing the car), then i would have to agree.
What if all this is just a rumour spread by the competition? Maybe there isn't a competition at the numbers Hexa sells!

The product was launched at a time where BS6 was already in the news, some plans should have been there to upgrade the vehicle to meet this requirement. Many Tata vehicles are designed and sold without any continuity in mind or just too slow to react to changing market conditions that the model line finally loses its sheen.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks