Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 08:35   #121
BHPian

re: Tata Hexa to be discontinued in 2020? EDIT: No, BS6 Hexa confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
So should we consider buying Hexa or not considering uncertainty over its future. I am interested in Hexa and the dealer I enquired told me he has to check into factory if the model I want is available or not. He has not got back to me yet. I wanted 7 seater XT or XTA depending upon what deal I get.
It depends on what is your outlook. If you are going to keep the car for a good 7/10 years and use it well, then BS6 or Hexa being discontinued doesn't really matter. If you are going to upgrade/change cars within the next 3/5 years, then stay away. Most BS4 cars will have poor resale value over the next 5 years with BS6 norms and especially with impending electric vehicle launches. As is the Hexa would fetch you approximately 50/60 percent of cost price (among the best in Tata cars btw) currently. In future a used Hexa may struggle to fetch you even 30% of buying price.

Last edited by AirbusCapt : 15th December 2019 at 08:37.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 08:56   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really. The management's words were not definitive. I am hearing that Tata might miss the April 2020 deadline and thus, the Hexa *might* be discontinued. Now whether it's temporary (until they get the BS6 engine) or permanent, only time will tell.
Hi GTO,
I don't think there can be anything more definitive than what Mr. Mayank Pareek tells us in this video, the part from 6:28 onwards.

He strongly disagrees with rumours about Hexa being discounted and as clear as possible, tells that it will be continued in BS6 as well. Only thing that would happen is that the car may not be available for some time while they work on it's repositioning.

Considering this, i feel like many others, that the title is not at all doing justice and needs to be changed slightly. Something on the lines of 'Hexa to be repositioned post BS6'. Definitely not a rumour and no questions of being discontinued if we go by all the statements given by TATA and Mr. Mayank in this video.

Am not sure if we can get anything more specific than this. While what you heard from management could be considered as rumours, such a public statement cannot be overlooked!

Ps: Hexa may not be available for a short duration. But discontinued even temporarily wouldn't be the right term is what i feel. The rest is upto the mods and forum policy!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 15th December 2019 at 08:59.
abhi7013 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 11:17   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Go ahead and buy those Hexas without fear or apprehension.

Have some good news from a very trusted birdie for all Hexa lovers, buyers & fans alike - the BS6 version of the Hexa is confirmed.

It will come with the same proven VariCor 2.2L unit which is doing duty under the present Hexa's hood, albeit in BS6 tune. Exact specs will be known in the near future.

Launch is most possibly chalked for the 4th quarter of 2020.

Maybe this is the reason why the other birdie couldn't see any Hexas ready for dispatch at the plant.
RavenAvi is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 11:40   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Have some good news from a very trusted birdie for all Hexa lovers, buyers & fans alike - the BS6 version of the Hexa is confirmed.

Yes oh indeed that a good news. It's definitely a good product which doesn't deserve to be axed so soon. The reason for delay can also be understood as TML has currently a lot on its plate. I only wish they give timely official updates on this to clear out all the apprehensions.
SpideyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 16:56   #125
BHPian

Hexa is an exceptional product from Tata's stable and this confirmation has come at a time when I have taken the delivery of my Hexa just last week. It has the potential to stay in competition and just needs some of the modern features with enthusiasm from Tata to sell it in a fiercely competitive market.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th January 2020 at 20:53. Reason: Fixed typos.
sandeepsc is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th January 2020, 17:25   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Launch is most possibly chalked for the 4th quarter of 2020. .
But that's a HUUGE gap ! As it is the numbers are not too good. A large gap like this can move it off the market radar. Like the saying goes - out of sight, out of mind.
condor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 19:22   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But that's a HUUGE gap ! As it is the numbers are not too good. A large gap like this can move it off the market radar. Like the saying goes - out of sight, out of mind.
If the news of the Hexa getting some time off the market is true, I believe it is a well planned move from Tata. They must be looking to help the Gravitas find its footing in the market and the Hexa + Gravitas + Harrier trifecta would just end up confusing customers a lot.

By quietly moving the Hexa off the table, the buying process becomes a lot easier. The Hexa can always come back later as it is well established as a competent product (maybe even at a readjusted price point?) and attempt to pick off where it stopped. Even if Tata loses some Hexa sales in the process, they will gain a lot more with the new Gravitas that needs to be a big success for them. Win - win for everyone except those who really are looking at a Hexa in 2020. Like me!
neil.jericho is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 19:39   #128
BHPian

Quote:

It will come with the same proven VariCor 2.2L unit which is doing duty under the present Hexa's hood, albeit in BS6 tune. Exact specs will be known in the near future.

Since Hexa currently isnt selling in decent numbers despite being the best product from Tata till date, i hope Tata uses this situation to relaunch Hexa BS6 by making it an extremely desirable product by adding, improving the following:
1. Tata has used good quality materials for the interiors but should bring the fit and finish levels to global standards, making those interiors rattle/squeak free and long lasting just like toyota innova/fortuners even after 5 years/1-1.5 Lakh km of usage
2. Hexa is a brilliant product for the price but where it lacks is desirability. It doesnt have clear looks of the SUV but its somewhere in between SUV and MPV. It is neither as feature rich as Seltos nor as bullet proof as a Toyota on reliability and after sales service. So Tata should bring a new top end variant which will have all the bells and whistles like Panoramic Sunroof, LED headlights, etc. and all the deleted features from the originally launched XTA because these features will make Hexa (which fundamentally is already brilliant) a very desirable car for a lot of buyers. Such a variant in BS6 may take the prices upto 25 lakh rupees on the road but making the product strongly desirable (something that happened with seltos) can trigger larger sales numbers.
3. If Tata can bring a 4x4 AT variant it will be icing on the cake!

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 13th January 2020 at 19:48.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 19:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

The decision to take the Hexa off the showroom floors for a few months is not at all any marketing move by Tata but it's rather due to complete lack of reading the market and understanding the pros and cons of your existing products and their respective positioning.

Tata indeed was of the opinion that they will discontinue the Hexa till the middle of 2019. They expected to position the Gravitas in the spot vacated by the Hexa and have only monocoque platforms going ahead. Just like the Zest and the Bolt, the Hexa was also supposed to be a stop gap product till the Omega platform launches.

But all this slowly started to change when they launched the Harrier and people started comparing the Harrier with the Hexa. The feedback that Tata received was that the Harrier doesn't ride as well or have the comfort levels as good as the Hexa. Once they began testing the Gravitas this belief that the Gravitas was also not turning out to be the better 7 seater was cemented. My sources tell me that when the first prototype of the Gravitas was made and the head honchos of Tata came to check it out there first reaction was that the access as well as the space in the 3rd row is not comparable to the Hexa. This really got them scratching their heads at Tata and they then decided to continue with the Hexa atleast till 2023.

Now since they started the development of BS6 engine late for the Hexa, they needed more time to test it and launch it. This is the sole reason why Hexa is going to be unavailable post April till diwali 2020. And as I had said earlier, this month and most likely next month too Tata is going to produce the Hexa. Infact a fellow bhpian has already booked a brand new Hexa with my help and will be taking delivery this month.
ram87pune is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 17:10   #130
BHPian

Quote:
In fact, in its current form, the BS4 Hexa may be better value than the upcoming BS6 one since the BS6 Hexa will either be a toned-down version (Maybe a loss of 4X4/loss of AT/No 6 airbags/No leather seats) of the existing model with a reduced pricing (more likely, considering their recent feature cuts and probably catering to taxi market in absence of Sumo) or it would be priced a bit higher with existing feature list (seems unlikely). But the opinion that Hexa is a better product in general value-for-money sense than Harrier is consistent with people around me who have checked out the vehicles in person.
Slightly off topic, but if they can make the BS6 Hexa with the 2.2 Varicor, Safari Storme deserved a better ending, and maybe an AT.
Researcher is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

Tata Hexa reaches the end of the road

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Tata Motors may not upgrade the Hexa to meet BS6 emission regulations and the model could be taken off the shelves.

Tata Hexa to be discontinued in 2020? EDIT: No, BS6 Hexa confirmed-tatahexa45.jpg

The Hexa is powered by a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine. The same engine was offered on the Safari Storme, which has already been discontinued. Therefore, Tata would be disinclined to update the 2.2-litre unit to meet BS6 norms only for the Hexa which is a poor seller.

Contrary to recent reports, there were rumours in the past suggesting that a BS6 compliant Hexa could be launched in Q4 2020.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd January 2020 at 12:16.
TusharK is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:54   #132
BHPian

I hope this news is not true. Estate, Seira, Indigo, Marina, Vista, Indica, Sumo, Manza, Safari, Nano, Aria and now Hexa. Well done Tata! So much to build consumer confidence. I was getting to warm up towards Gravitas and I probably look elsewhere now. The marketing team at Tata motors should really ask themself what was the need to rename Aria to Hexa for such a short lifecycle and burn crores of marketing money.

Last edited by sajanjohn : 23rd January 2020 at 13:55. Reason: added sumo to the list
sajanjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:03   #133
Senior - BHPian

I think this news needs verification. While multiple forum members and Mayank Pareek himself have confirmed this is not the case, how can we publish something from an anonymous source without proof?

Even I think they may discontinue Hexa, but since we have gone multiple iterations with this news item, we should not be publishing anything without verifiable sources now.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 23rd January 2020 at 14:04.
padmrajravi is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:08   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
Estate, Seira, Indigo, Marina, Vista, Indica, Sumo, Manza, Safari, Nano, Aria and now Hexa. Well done Tata! So much to build consumer confidence.
Seriously?

Is TATA the only company to move on to newer and better products? And even if it is - Is that a bad thing? Hexa, launched in 2016 - was a retake of the Aria which was launched in 2010. The product was essentially in the market for a decade.

I doubt there is enough space for the Gravitas and the Hexa to co-exist, and even if it does - TATA Motors might never be able to cover the investment into making the 2.2L engine BS6 capable.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:15   #135
BHPian

Completely agree with you about Hexa and Gravitas together in a showroom makes it tough for Tata. However, not sure why the brand name has to change for the product evolution cycle. A person who bought Aria struggles to sell it since the brand name is killed even though Hexa is pretty much the same car. I am all for Tata bringing better Car and Product value to market year on year. But it could have been better not at the cost of people who bought their first version of the product. Cheers.
sajanjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed