Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 10:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th July 2019 at 10:47.
Aditya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 10:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: June 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Last edited by Aditya : 9th July 2019 at 10:28.
Aditya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 10:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 10:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Aditya : 9th July 2019 at 10:28.
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 10:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th July 2019 at 10:33.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 11:30   #6

Harrier numbers are even lower than Fortuner, Really don't understand, where all those 10K + Bookings are gone and with this decline in just 6 months, the great product is also going the Aria & Hexa way. Creta still holding the forte with 8300+ nos, which is really a great job done, when MG Hector & KIA Seltos are around the corner & their own sibling Venue has 8500+ dispatches. I think, at least till December, Creta will continue to do 6000+ nos on month on month basis and the reason being, though we all know, its an overpriced product, you will hardly complain, once you own it. Maybe Tata Motors has to learn this trick from Maruti & Hyundai.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2019 at 08:50. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
lmilind is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th July 2019, 11:31   #7
BHPian

Looks like Indians have suddenly became poorer in the last couple of months and can't afford cars anymore. If this trend continues the automotive industry is heading for a disaster.

All companies except Maruti and Hyundai would have to shut shop and leave. Tata and Mahindra can go back to making UVs.

Last edited by civic-sense : 9th July 2019 at 11:33.
civic-sense is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 11:41   #8
BHPian

All I can say looking at Venue's numbers is Wow!
Hyundai knows the Indian market and what the Indian customers need really well. This is another hit from the Hyundai stable.

Sad to see such numbers for Harrier and Compass - but expected with MG Hector and Kia Seltos round the corner.

Overall the scene seems sombre, almost 43k less cars dispatched compared to June of last year. Wonder how long the slump will last! Car companies must be worried.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

The auto industry bleeding shows no signs of stopping & continues in June.

Few major observations:

Santro price has to be updated - the feature distribution has recently been updated, and only a price revision can sell the car in required numbers.

Jeep should note the dwindling sales of Compass, and understand that it is very risky for business to depend on an one trick pony, if that's the only pony in the stable, and with several competent adversaries lurking around.

D segment sedans - It's only a matter of time when the laggards in this segment shall be pulled off the shelf by the manufacturers. The pie is simply too small to be shared considering the investment required.

Overall portfolio rationalization required for quite a few manufacturers to reduce overheads & have a leaner , more focused range of cars for suitable target groups.
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Looks like Indians have suddenly became poorer in the last couple of months and can't afford cars anymore. If this trend continues the automotive industry is heading for a disaster.
I'd rather say that Indians have suddenly before more sensible , what with the ridiculous pricing - coupled with sub-standard quality - that most manufacturers are coming up with! Makes much more sense to go for pre-owned cars or hold on to your existing car for longer than you'd normally do till manufacturers start giving us good cars at sensible/realistic prices.

Last edited by cool_dube : 9th July 2019 at 11:53.
cool_dube is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

All companies except Maruti and Hyundai would have to shut shop and leave. Tata and Mahindra can go back to making UVs.
Indians have not become poorer, the cars have become expensive, roads are jammed and maybe buying a car does not make sense.
Just reached office after driving 1 hour 10 mins for 10 km distance. I counted how many times I engaged 3rd gear and it was zero
amit1agrawal is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 12:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Indians have not become poorer, the cars have become expensive, roads are jammed and maybe buying a car does not make sense.
Valid points, especially the last one - the new generation is all about renting things out - be it homes, cars, and heck, even furniture They do not want to be "bound" by these assets so as to not hamper their movement across cities/countries. Subscription will be the name of the game going forward!!
cool_dube is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 12:03   #13
BANNED

Those XUV 300 numbers surprise me.
I thought the sales would die when the inital hype comes to an end. Seems like thats not the case.

Just goes on to prove how the market has matured, and people will pay a significant premium for a good product. Outselling the much cheaper Nexon is a huge achievement.
simeonovitch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Just reached office after driving 1 hour 10 mins for 10 km distance. I counted how many times I engaged 3rd gear and it was zero

Just anecdote, I was looking to upgrade my car 3 years ago, with a budget of 13-15 lakhs, 3 years later, I am back in the market for upgrades but exactly with the same budget but the same cars which were falling in my bracket earlier have now moved beyond my budget
sandhyab is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 12:07   #15
BHPian

Venue breaks into the top 10 without a sweat...what a splendid performance. In such a competitive CSUV segment and overall falling market sentiments, this is remarkable. Only 108 behind Brezza I will be driving another segment topper soon!!

Ecosport, XUV 300, Nexon, WRV, TUV are all feeling the 'Venue' heat. Even Creta to some extent, since its numbers have fallen from May.

Tigor had a fabulous run this month together with Tiago and Zest. Tata gained some while lost on other cars.

Jeep's numbers have been dwindling and the launched Hector together with upcoming Seltos will make it much worse.

And Amaze's amazing run seems to have hit a speed breaker now. Dzire also has been hit. Sedans, compact or otherwise, seems to be witnessing a de-growth.

Kicks gained some traction this month...would it be the World Cup effect?

Mustang did not sell even 1...is this an indicator of this segment?

The charts and analysis are excellent. Thank you Aditya for posting these!

Last edited by CarStruck : 9th July 2019 at 12:10.
CarStruck is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed