Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:48   #196
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
Overall the vehicle looks good and I particularly like the all black interiors. Beige interiors on a people mover like Ertiga is a nightmare.

Also, is it only me that I feel the body to wheel size ratio too odd? Aren't the wheels appearing small for the vehicle size especially from the side profile? Or is it the ugly wheel arch cladding that is causing this oddity?
Exactly how I feel, the side profile looks so funny with such a huge body and puny tyres. MS Should have given bigger wheels and atleast a sunroof too on their so called "premium" offering.
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:02   #197
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

185/65 R15 tires look too small for that body . The body and wheels look terribly out of proportion . I bet a good 18 inch alloys with 235 width tires make this look much better.

Last edited by cijo : 22nd August 2019 at 02:07.
Old 22nd August 2019, 03:04   #198
Senior - BHPian

Aside from the private car buyer, something tells me that they skipped the diesel for pricing reasons. The top spec petrol automatic is going to push the price up to 15 lacs in some cities, and then, you will start to question why a Maruti luxury van costs so much. A BS6 diesel will add a couple more lacs. Let us say a conservative 17lac on road. At this sort of money, your options are plenty. In fact; I might ask Maruti the re start sales of the dated Kizashi. I can live with the gas guzzling 2.4l engine.

All said and done, it looks good and the interiors appear to be done well. A bit of Volvo going on at the back.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd August 2019 at 03:08.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:14   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Oh and those wheel arch claddings!
Whenever I see the photos, I see nothing but those ghastly misplaced wheel arch claddings! Just horrendous. They look like those on the Tata 207DI/Yoddha pick up trucks for god's sake!!!
I just wanted to see it physically before commenting and yesterday I did but from a distance, as I was passing by, no doubt the wheel specs are puny but these wheel arches make them visually look proportionate to its body, I think that's the reason they have not painted them.

Without them, I think XL6 will look worse, like an elephant riding on cycle tyres. I also noticed that the wheel arch is actually a two-piece assembly, first like the s-cross and then the oval arch on top of it, but need to give it a closer look to confirm.

Overall, I think its a good package for anyone looking for taller stance and family seater. One more thing, why have they showcased only blue color while the launch and showroom displayed XL6, I think the white and khaki green also suits it.

I am waiting for the specs of Triber, let's see how that pans out.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd August 2019 at 10:27. Reason: Typos
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:20   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
One more thing, why have they showcased only blue color while the launch and showroom displayed XL6, I think the white and khaki green also suits it.
Its the NEXA BLUE shade. Signature colour shade of the Nexa range of products from MSIL. So thats in line with their marketing strategy overall.

White would be a straight no from the bean counters since its the one most associated with the taxi segment Ertigas. After all the effort to project this as a different & premium product altogether, showcasing it in white would be a huge waste of money spent.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:02   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its the NEXA BLUE shade. Signature colour shade of the Nexa range of products from MSIL. So thats in line with their marketing strategy overall.

White would be a straight no from the bean counters since its the one most associated with the taxi segment Ertigas. After all the effort to project this as a different & premium product altogether, showcasing it in white would be a huge waste of money spent.
With that logic in mind, Maruti should not even spend the money on painting the car white. They will save a ton of money.

When a customer purchases white painted xl6 it will be adding to the taxi image by the bucket load.
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:05   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
With that logic in mind, Maruti should not even spend the money on painting the car white. They will save a ton of money.

When a customer purchases white painted xl6 it will be adding to the taxi image by the bucket load.
No - white sells alright. Its a favourite colour & practical colour for our conditions.

All cars sells the most in white now a days. But name one that does marketting in white or sets the signature colour as white. None.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:20   #203
Senior - BHPian

The bonnet looks a lot like S-cross now, which is a good thing. Wish the quality too would match it, but alas!
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:22   #204
BHPian

When I was selling my Swift, I got around 10k less because the colour was grey and not white. I checked with a couple of more buyers and it was the same with them as well.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:45   #205
Senior - BHPian

You guys can continue the color discussion in the following thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ey-silver.html (White was the most chosen car colour of 2018, followed by grey & silver)

The seats look quite thin, don't they? Especially the head rests and passenger seat's arm rests.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:48   #206
BHPian

Seems to be a good offering from MSIL.
Customers who cant afford Innova Crysta but needs Crysta like space and comfort would opt for XL6. MSIL could have considered taller/wider tyre spec for XL6. Wheels look Puny with this sidewall design.
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:27   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Seems to be a good offering from MSIL.
Customers who cant afford Innova Crysta but needs Crysta like space and comfort would opt for XL6. MSIL could have considered taller/wider tyre spec for XL6. Wheels look Puny with this sidewall design.
Doesn't the Mahindra Marazzo make a much better case in comparison but? Plus it has a powerful and efficient diesel engine.

I'm not getting why people are looking at the XL6 as an alternative to the Innova. It really isn't.

This is Suzuki's attempt at what Honda tried (and failed in) with the Mobilio (=Ertiga) and BR-V (=XL6).
Because its a Maruti - it won't fail. Thats about it.

Saying this is a cheaper alternative to the Innova is like saying Baleno is a cheaper alternative to Mercedes A Class IMHO.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:50   #208
BHPian

The bootspace of XL6 with the 2nd and third row seats folded is given as 692 litres on their official site, whereas the same specification for the Ertiga is 803 litres on it's official site.
Why so much difference? Are the 2nd row captain seats not fully foldable like the bench seat of the Ertiga?
Or am I missing something here?
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:22   #209
BHPian

Seems like a promising product from MSIL. I liked the product inside out minus those claddings, which Maruti might thought would give that butch look. In reality, looks like a guy wearing cowboy boots (sorry for the fans of those boots ). BTW those Volvo like tail lights are looking good.

Jokes apart, but they have priced it very well. Can't restrain me to compare this with the Hyundai Prince, The Venue. though from different segments and body types. Venue retails at INR 12.695L for manual petrol and XL6 retails at INR 12.5L both on-road, Hyderabad. Someone who wants more car per buck, can go and pick this van.
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:29   #210
BHPian

The frontal looks of the XL6 are good and looks premium as compared to the Ertiga. The rear is too similar though. MS should have done something to differentiate it. The huge wheel arches with the 16 inch wheels look disproportionate. Should have got 18 inch wheels. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Considering the pricing, majority of the buyers will find the Ertiga to be more value for money. The added features do not justify the premium especially for the Alpha trim.

Lack of a diesel engine will also hurt its prospects. For a car of this segment, many buyers will prefer an oil burner and the lack of it would push them towards the Ertiga.

In my opinion, MS should have given it 6 airbags and a sunroof. Since this is launched as a premium option to the Ertiga, these features are essential for the perceived premium image.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed