Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:34   #211
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
The bootspace of XL6 with the 2nd and third row seats folded is given as 692 litres on their official site, whereas the same specification for the Ertiga is 803 litres on it's official site.
Why so much difference? Are the 2nd row captain seats not fully foldable like the bench seat of the Ertiga?
Or am I missing something here?
It is because this comes with a captain seats and the loading area will not be the same like in the flat bench 2nd row. Also It would miss the full flat loading area as there will be a gap in the middle row

I think Maruti is doing all possible means to revive the slow down and bring people to the showrooms. I waiting what would they launch in the coming months of the festive season.
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:16   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
Venue retails at INR 12.695L for manual petrol and XL6 retails at INR 12.5L both on-road, Hyderabad. Someone who wants more car per buck, can go and pick this van.

Exactly. Seeing the big welcoming interior of Ertiga (and now XL6) at such a price is always a pleasant shock. I often wonder how can they give such a big car at comparable car's or even sub-4m car's prices.
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:02   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Doesn't the Mahindra Marazzo make a much better case in comparison but? Plus it has a powerful and efficient diesel engine.

I'm not getting why people are looking at the XL6 as an alternative to the Innova. It really isn't.

This is Suzuki's attempt at what Honda tried (and failed in) with the Mobilio (=Ertiga) and BR-V (=XL6).
Because it's a Maruti - it won't fail. That's about it.

Saying this is a cheaper alternative to the Innova is like saying Baleno is a cheaper alternative to Mercedes A-Class IMHO.
Definitely, XL6 is not a direct alternative to Crysta. No doubt that Marazzo has an efficient and powerful diesel engine but with the current trend where people are more opting for Petrol engines, XL6 would be on the user's list.
When the budget comes in to picture, Marazzo M2 (Base-Barebone variant) would cost roughly 13 lakhs on-road. In this case, XL6 would be a better choice. Also, Just because the brand is Maruti this would sell like a hot cake in India. Mahindra's after-sales service still remains a hit or miss in the market.
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:03   #214
BHPian

I didn't understand what the difference is between the XL6 and the Ertiga beyond the front design. Is there anything else?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:12   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Exactly. Seeing the big welcoming interior of Ertiga (and now XL6) at such a price is always a pleasant shock. I often wonder how can they give such a big car at comparable car's or even sub-4m car's prices.
Sub4M SUVs are currently priced higher because thats the segment in demand. Car makers are making significant profits on these cars & trading off with lower margins in the tigher segments.

Any lower price of the XL6 = Dzire & Brezza is overpriced
Any higher price of the XL6 = Nobody will buy it because then people will buy CSUV/Actual SUV like Creta etc since the petrol variant pricing overlap begins fairly soon & then people always think "I'll spend a lakh more as a 1 time jump up".

This is the only price bracket that was available for the XL6 to be sold in where it would not kill Maruti's own sales numbers (except some Ertigas maybe. Dhuh those don't count.).

Honestly speaking - CSUV still makes more sense than an XL6. Not all the time do we really take 6 people out. Certainly not in the numbers comparable to the CSUVs in today's smaller family era.
On the contrary - the Ertiga makes far more sense compared to a CSUV on practicality & value for money.

So the sales numbers of the XL6 will settle down fairly low after the initial hype I think. For daily use its bulkier, less fuel efficient and less practical (lower seating, lower GC, smaller wheel+tyre) when compared to good CSUVs.

It will make sense for those families who actually always travel together - more than just 1 weekend per month. And then of course - Ertiga gives 1 more seat instead at lower price . Such familes mostly will think of this economical side of things.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd August 2019 at 15:13.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:23   #216
BHPian

Decently priced and the naming seems to match Big[XL]6 seater. It has that XL size when looked from the rear three quarters. Petrol only to keep the cabbies away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Definitely an economical version for the wannabe Innova buyer. I would prefer this over the Toyota's over priced products. This is going to be a winner for sure. Looks are subjective and I like the contrasting blackened wheel design. A good buy for someone in the people mover market. I hope we see more private versions and hope it does
not get the taxi tag like the Innova gets.
Oh wait!! Toyota can get the copies of this XL6 and name it as CAN-JHA (Go in hindi) with their badging allover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Oh and those wheel arch claddings!
Whenever I see the photos, I see nothing but those ghastly misplaced wheel arch claddings! Just horrendous. They look like those on the Tata 207DI/Yoddha pick up trucks for god's sake!!!
Suzuki will say, its for breaking the monotony of the side profiles. Bet, you will see reviewers talking about the claddings and special mention on the rear cladding extending on to the doors.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:48   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I didn't understand what the difference is between the XL6 and the Ertiga beyond the front design. Is there anything else?
Its slightly bigger, interiors are different and key, has captain seats in middle row.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:02   #218
Senior - BHPian

Looks good and pleasant to some extent. Its wider than what Honda had with BRV. Putting bigger wheels/tyres should make it better.

If they could have given a cleaner headlight cluster, it would have removed the goofiness on the front and made it look more mature. It looks like fake jewellery adorning the front area. Toyota can make it better ! Its great that Maruti is trying to cover all possible configurations and address different needs and tastes.

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd August 2019 at 16:05.
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:05   #219
Senior - BHPian

It’s a bold step from Maruti to have launched when the length and breadth of auto industry is experiencing slowness. Nevertheless, it’s good boost to those who are on the fence to go for a car or to save money for a better one. I honestly didn’t like this XL6 model at all. Again, just my opinion
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:29   #220
Senior - BHPian

Of course! MSIL will project this model as a new car (which it ain't) and also as an 'SUV type' vehicle (which it definitely ain't). Would like to see our market evolve to a point where OEMs dare not abuse the definition of these terms

That said, an unusual nomenclature by Maruti, using just a character string rather than a word

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 22nd August 2019 at 18:39.
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:53   #221
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has pulled all stops to launch the XL6 like a new car! Press ads and even sponsoring the Lakme Fashion week in Mumbai this week! And Ranveer Singh as the brand ambassador as well!

I happened to be at the Lakme Fashion show and saw the XL6 on display! The front looks different for sure, but the rear lights are a big give away! Would be very surprised if someone who bought the XL6 did not know its nothing but an Ertiga. But I guess there are customers for this too! Some people like the body cladding and roof rails and may just want to flaunt it like a wannabe SUV. Suits then fine, without a big hole in their pocket.
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:57   #222
BHPian

Sweet. It's such a good option for families. I currently have to do the duty of a car pool ferrying three toddlers to and fro twice a week. I've had all sorts of things thrown at me and at the floor of the car including food, toys and projectiles. Some of them shout at me while I am driving for no reason. I should get this and plonk three child seats in the last row just to insulate my mind and my car.
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:28   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Just checked out the XL6, out of curiosity. Overall an acceptable package. Looks like it will have no problem of doing an average sales average of 1000-1300/ month.

The Nexa blue was the display car and many customers were enquiringly about the availability of the White car

Bangalore Pricing:

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_1856581.jpg
Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_171615.jpg

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_171040.jpg

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_171021.jpg

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_171300.jpg

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_171315.jpg

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_171540.jpg

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-img_20190822_171643.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 20:35   #224
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at XL6.

Good space overall. Front seats and second row seats are very comfortable for my heavy frame (around 100kg, broader than average shoulders). Second row armrest is at good height, increasing comfort. Under-thigh support was more than reasonable. Add those large windows giving an airy ambience, and this car becomes a good comfortable chauffeur driven chariot.
Everything else is more or less similar to Ertiga. With added cladding, the wheels appear further buried in the wheel-well towards hinting at its people mover roots than a companion for adventure in terrain sans tarmac. Hood is quite light, an doesn't give a solid impression when one lifts it for first time. S-cross occupying real estate on same showroom floor earned my respect for build, felt it had more robustness than a modified people mover now termed SUV. But happy to see Maruti responding to incoming threats in the market. Additional seats and a handsome front end will certainly find some buyers and may drive a few customers away from Ertiga in favor of XL6. Display car didn't have engine cover, looked odd for a car that costs more than a million rupees on road. Overall, a good package from Maruti for its price, doesn't touch heart but appeals well to head.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 20:50   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Does the boot appear to be larger than the regular ertiga? Is it the camera angle or my aging eyes playing the trick?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed