Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2019, 12:49   #286
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIMR View Post
2 Air Bags and puny tyres in a people mover is lack of disregard for passenger safety. I don't understand how this makes for a premium offering! For what it's worth I think it is a Innova competition on a budget and I guess that is all it takes to lure the buyers.
Sir, this is a standard practice of Maruti. None of their cars come with 6 airbags or may be top end Ciaz has, which I don’t know. Anyways, I don’t follow Maruti that closely. My first car was Alto. Drove for 60K kms for about 5 years. Wasn’t aware too much about safety aspects of car at that time. That car didn’t have a single airbag even. Things have slightly changed to single or dual front airbags.

You are correct in saying that it should not be called a premium car with missing safety features and small size alloy wheels. General saying is Itna paisa mein Itna heen milega. For MSIL, it is Kitna paisa mein bhi Itna heen milega. Cant complain them much when people stand in long queues to purchase their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Suzuki Ertiga Sports with 17" Alloys and low profile tyres. Only if #marutisuzuki could learn from their Thailand counterparts.

Attachment 1909210
Sir, for auto industry we Indians always get second class citizen treatment only. We have seen some cars in other countries, being priced lower than in India and having much better bells and whistles or having better safety features or additional 4WD for the same price. Company would blame on the Indian tax structure, which is not fully justifiable.

This is similar to the apparels made in India. Best quality ones are exported and the export rejected ones are sold within India for customers like us

Last edited by MukundanMK : 25th August 2019 at 12:51.
MukundanMK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 13:26   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

PowerDrift Video Review

Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 13:45   #288
BHPian

What is wrong with MS?
It's baffling that they're still using the 4 Speed Torque Converter in their premium offerings! Like why?
It's not like they don't have an auto box. It's available on the Baleno then why can't they use the same in Ciaz & Ertiga. For me, it shows Maruti Suzuki being the largest car maker in the country doesn't gives a damn about consumers and are all about cost cutting measures. Seeing such treatment, I would never want to put a single penny on such manufacturer irrespective of good the product is because when the competition can go that extra mile why can't you?
YashD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 15:28   #289
BHPian

Some reviews indicate that it has the same poor sound insulation like the regular Ertiga. So lot of sound boom, engine sound intrusion, road/wind noise at higher speed. For me a silent refined cabin is hallmark of a premium product. I think Maruti missed the mark here. The premium-ness of XL6 is just cosmetic and superficial. It is now also apparent how Maruti is able to price it so well. There is stuff missing underneath. Hidden from eyes.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 20:00   #290
BHPian

Had a good hard look at the xl6. Well there is nothing premium in the so called premium vehicle.

The plastics are the same just black in colour, steering the same, same body shell so same kerosene dabbaa sound.

The premium is purely for the captain seats, some no go only show LED lights, add on plastic that is low grade.

Disappointed...
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 20:56   #291
Senior - BHPian

Why so harsh? Going by S-cross example, LED lamps upgrade costs a pretty penny (difference between S cross alpha & zeta), also there is additional cruise control which you don't get in Ertiga. I couldn't fault the metal used, definitely not to the extent of Kerosene tin. Maybe you are comparing army fuel cans . The LED taillamps are great to look at.

XL6 clearly distinguishes Ertiga from its Taxi image, and would be a hit in families. At a length of Verna/ City/ even around Ecosport including its spare tire, one gets a nice looking Maruti service backed feature packed 6 seater vehicle. What to hate? Sure airbags would have been great, but Maruti simply doesn't have 6 airbags at all.

My only gripe is the usage of small tires. Hope they correct this soon.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 21:20   #292
BHPian

Maruti has never offered more than 2 airbags nor a sunroof or for the fact a wheel size higher than 16inches in any of their Maruti badged products. They could have easily borrowed it from Suzuki.

The XL6 is definitely a Ertiga and it definitely works to distinguish itself. It's a great car for six people but was alittle disappointed with the stance. The cladding is so heavily done that the wheels look lost. I have a feeling most owners will swap for aftermarket rims.

The only cars from Maruti that has perfect stance is the Baleno and the Ciaz.
Old 25th August 2019, 22:19   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Had a good hard look at the xl6. Well there is nothing premium in the so called premium vehicle.

The plastics are the same just black in colour, steering the same, same body shell so same kerosene dabbaa sound.

The premium is purely for the captain seats, some no go only show LED lights, add on plastic that is low grade.

Disappointed...
Its easy to rundown a vehicle without understanding it better. Have you even seen the LED lights in action at night? We had a chance to drive down the Nahargarh fort towards our hotel in Kukas post sunset and the LED headlamps were a life saver. Brilliant illumination!
BunnyPunia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 22:43   #294
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Have you posted a review yet?
Old 26th August 2019, 00:00   #295
Team-BHP Support

I know the Ertiga rides on 185/65-15 rubber and this is identical since same platform. But Maruti should have done something about the wheels and tyres. They have merely painted the Ertiga alloys black and put them on XL6.

Just as a comparison the Vitara Brezza and S-cross ride on 215/60-16!

This should have been that size. The exact same size as a S-cross and Brezza and would have changed the stance of the car with a day and night difference.

This should have been the first and foremost engineering effort into the XL6.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 07:45   #296
BHPian

Saw it in the flesh yesterday. I must say it looks really nice in the blue color. Pretty convincing on the seat comfort front also (all 3 rows) with third row headroom being a little less than wanted. The infotainment system is pretty decent also.

Overall, a great VFM product and differentiated from the Ertiga except the rear exterior & lights (ewww!) but 6 seats vs 7 is something our family still debates. Moreover, it needed a better AT and 6 airbags to show its seriousness as a lifestyle vehicle.

Overall a decent car at a good price.
Old 26th August 2019, 07:46   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
I believe the premium is because of all the features at this price point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

My only gripe is the usage of small tires. Hope they correct this soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I know the Ertiga rides on 185/65-15 rubber and this is identical since same platform. But Maruti should have done something about the wheels and tyres. They have merely painted the Ertiga alloys black and put them on XL6.

Just as a comparison the Vitara Brezza and S-cross ride on 215/60-16!
Now that the product is launched, i dont think they will do anything about it, but they should have given an option for 16inchers as an upgrade.

But all is not lost as you can still upsize to some extent
Old 26th August 2019, 09:13   #298
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

This should have been the first and foremost engineering effort into the XL6.
Unlike an enthusiast doing after market wheel upgrade, a manufacturer cannot increase wheel size without upgrading the suspension, power steering assist, etc. Not to mention the boring but costly effort to make new part numbers and service literature.

Unless the vehicle is developed from the beginning with different wheel sizes for different powertrain/variant, it is very rare to see a wheel size upgrade on an established platform.

Cheers
Old 26th August 2019, 10:12   #299
Team-BHP Support

I thought the current Ertiga really moved the needle forward on looks but this is even nicer looking. What is it with Maruti and underwhelming ATs though (since the beginning). The AT specs sound underwhelming - who gives a 4 speed AT in this day and age on any car, let alone in this segment.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th August 2019 at 10:14.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:29   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Unlike an enthusiast doing after market wheel upgrade, a manufacturer cannot increase wheel size without upgrading the suspension, power steering assist, etc. Not to mention the boring but costly effort to make new part numbers and service literature.

Unless the vehicle is developed from the beginning with different wheel sizes for different powertrain/variant, it is very rare to see a wheel size upgrade on an established platform.

Cheers
I won't agree with powertrain cause maruti is not using some different power train on the Ertiga. The 1.5L petrol is there on the Ciaz and earlier it had the 1.3L DDiS which was same in S-cross and Brezza.

As I mentioned in my post I understand it's on Ertiga platform but if they have spent engineering effort in redesigning the entire front structure of the car which would mean homologation is needed and crash certification, it is inexcusable not to spend some additional engineering effort on fitting 16inch wheels with 215 section tyres.

It would most likely require minimal component changes just different EPS calibration and probably just a wider alloy wheel.

The difference from 185/65-15 to 205/60-16 is overall ~5% which is not too far off and easily adjustable with suspension tweaks.

Honda did that with the W-RV vs Jazz wheels.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed