Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2019, 22:06   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Friend to his friends afterwards - Seems he bought some new pick-up truck.
And that is a bad thing?
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 22:39   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
And that is a bad thing?
Only because it isn't one!
A pick up truck in this price range! Amen
Old 29th August 2019, 19:56   #318
BANNED

Flat bottom steering wheel on a so called premium MPV??!! I think Maruti is standardising the new flat bottom steering wheel across all models starting from Swift so as to keep the tradition going on. Part sharing is an addiction for Maruti. Nexa models should have better quality power window switches at least as a differenciating factor from Arena models.

Last edited by pavi : 29th August 2019 at 20:04.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 20:02   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Only because it isn't one!
A pick up truck in this price range! Amen
Isuzu Dmax Hi-ride.

I got a quote of 11 lacs something with Pvt registration.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 20:21   #320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Flat bottom steering wheel on a so called SUV??!! I think Maruti is standardising the new flat bottom steering wheel across all models starting from Swift so as to keep the tradition going on. Part sharing is an addiction for Maruti.
I don't understand what's people's problem if a company do cost cutting through parts sharing. Are you saying that auto companies don't have to engage in cost cutting, and they have to sink in the present and fast-approaching tight financial conditions?

Cost cutting is not limited to sharing steering wheel / power switches. Using a modular platform, using the same engine even with different states of tune, using the same transmission in a variety of cars etc are all "cost cutting" in essence. It is not a problem for many. Is it because most of their favorite companies are doing this?

Automobile companies are not charity foundations. There are a lot of share holders who will be pushing for profits at any cost. Satisfying people from all corners is a huge task. Not satisfied in a company's ways? Leave aside and move on to find a better one.

Coming to your point: what exactly is the problem if an "SUV/MPV" has flat bottom steering?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th August 2019 at 20:37.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 21:11   #321
Senior - BHPian

The automatic mileage is a downer; the old 4 speed torque converter delivers 7 kmpl (urban) according to ACI. Biggest misses are the 1.5 DDiS and 6 airbags on this. Maruti is searching for lame excuses for not being smart and giving a BS 6 diesel when Hyundai can. It will be reluctantly handing it's diesel clients on a platter to Hyundai. How dumb can you be and develop a 1.5 DDiS and not make it future ready: pure shortsightedness of the market leader. If it doesn't do amends and deliver full blown hybrids delivering a great mileage by next year end it would have to relinquish it's market leader position to someone else.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 29th August 2019 at 21:13.
Durango Dude is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 21:37   #322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Coming to your point: what exactly is the problem if an "SUV/MPV" has flat bottom steering?
Flat bottom steering is usually associated with sportiness. But did not find any in XL6, but at the same time it suits a Swift or a Polo or a sporty sedan. How can cars be differentiated if a normal arena car and a premium Nexa car shares the same parts. Will you be saying the same statements if Honda uses Amaze steering, and power window switches in a Honda City or a Jazz.
Old 29th August 2019, 22:22   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Flat bottom steering is usually associated with sportiness.
Sportiness or not, I feel flat bottom steerings are quite useful in getting in and out of the car and doesn't hurt. I have this problem in my F30, I can't get out of the car without hurting my knee. I drove a friend's Octavia VRS and the flat-bottom steering was easy.
vivekshukla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 23:13   #324
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Quote:
Will you be saying the same statements if Honda uses Amaze steering, and power window switches in a Honda City or a Jazz.

IIRC, There is definitely some steering sharing in Jazz/Amaze/old gen City. Why should every car have different parts? In Nexa showroom, the old round steering in S cross felt older than flat bottom. One in XL6.

Parts sharing in different cars will ensure economies of scale, which will benefit end users. Swift/ Dezire/ Ignis/WagonR/Ertiga/ XL6 are all based on same Heartech platform, so I expect this part sharing to be far more than just visible parts.

Last edited by ani_meher : 29th August 2019 at 23:14.
ani_meher is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 23:41   #325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Swift/ Dezire/ Ignis/WagonR/Ertiga/ XL6 are all based on same Heartech platform, so I expect this part sharing to be far more than just visible parts.
Bolded the most important point in your comment (as per my opinion). There should be a limit to part sharing so as to differentiate between the different products in the portfolio. A difference in visible elements definitely helps in this differentiation. I think everybody here will agree with me that it won’t be a good idea to have the same shape for all the cars in the portfolio to maximise part sharing. If a company understands exterior differentiation between different models as a basic design element, why not differentiate the premium products with differentiating interior visible parts. Taking a higher segment steering wheel design in a lower segment car will always enhance the premiumness and not if it is done the other way.

Note: I am not against part sharing, but there should be differentiation between premium and non-premium cars at least at the main touch points. Maruti has also shown us the very extend one can do engine sharing (1.3l DDiS).

Last edited by pavi : 29th August 2019 at 23:46.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 23:58   #326
BHPian

The power window switches and some other levers were the same for the Swift (bought in 2009) as well the SX4 (bought in 2011). During that time, I felt that they should have been more premium for the SX4 considering the price points of both the cars. But after almost 10 years of flawless operation, I am not so bothered about the feel. The longevity and reliability is of much more importance to me.
adi.mariner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 00:14   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
differentiation between premium and non-premium
Premium is a relative word. The expectations should depend on price IMHO.

Here the XL6 top-end Alpha petrol manual, despite being 4.45m long and having a 1.5L petrol engine (ending up in the highest tax bracket) is priced at 10.36L ex-showroom. That is cheaper than the top-end Hyundai Venue petrol manual variant, top-end XUV 3OO petrol manual variant, top-end Ford Ecosport manual variant etc - all of which are sub-4m, <1.2L petrol-engined cars.

Moreover, XL6 isn't even commanding a big premium in pricing over the Ertiga. Zeta just costs 19k more than the Ertiga ZXi+, whereas the Alpha just costs 76k more!

You win some, you lose some!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th August 2019 at 00:28.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 07:12   #328
BANNED

Quote:
A difference in visible elements definitely helps in this differentiation.
Now, if the problem is changed from "cost cutting" to "differentiation", then it's the "family face" theory that has to be trounced. We don't know whether an incoming car is a Santro or i10 or Xcent or Verna or Elantra. We don't know whether the incoming car is a Polo or Ameo or Vento or Passat. We don't know how the egg-shaped SUVs of Honda (HR-V, CR-V) can be differentiated. And Suzuki is one company where a family face is not yet used.

Even the "family face" is a way of cost cutting - you don't need to advertise too much to convince the consumer that it is a product from certain manufacturer.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 30th August 2019 at 07:15.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 08:42   #329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Premium is a relative word. The expectations should depend on price IMHO.
I should learn to redefine the word ‘premium’ in Maruti terms is the outcome that I derived from these discussions. It’s almost like the thread we have ‘is SAIC fooling Indians’. Eventually I will have to agree whatever I feel or say, Maruti will be the one and only leader for ever in Indian market with what ever strategy they take. Most of the customers of Maruti that I have come across including my father thinks ‘Maruti cars are the best suited for Indian roads, they know India very well and service is very cheap’. This notion won’t change until they experience another manufacturer, which is not even a possibility.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 14:20   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

So in this "ALL BLACK" interior theme, Maruti has left the roof felt lining, pillars, roof grab handles all BEIGE. Its not looking too good IMO. Should have changed it to a greyish shade instead. Its taking away the claimed "all black" interiors theme idea and not in a good way! Look up from any seat and you just see ERTIGA!

Also - couldn't they have placed a couple of retractable sun-shades? a couple of cup holders, and perhaps a USB charger point instead of a 12V socket for the middle row? I mean okay I accept that Maruti has signed some bond with destiny that it will never give more than 2 airbags. But these things should have been offered at least? Quite cheap aren't they?

This is not really a premium product no matter how much we try to find premiumness. They have simply created another variant of the Ertiga like ZZXxi+. instead of selling through Arena, they are selling through NEXA. I'm not at all able to convince myself that this thing warrants an altogether distinect product badge like XL6. Its an Ertiga.

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th August 2019 at 14:32.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed