Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th September 2019, 21:22   #391
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

The XL6 is a great car with lots of space, features and comes at a reasonable price too but the lack of a Diesel engine option is a deal breaker for me. Maruti should have given the excellent 1.5L DDIS motor which is already on offer with the Ertiga.
Old 9th September 2019, 22:19   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs

Sharing this info which I got during my regular inspection of the XL6's parts manual. I was pretty curious about the addition which makes XL6 earn the Suzuki TECT badge which they advertise for all NEXA cars, but Ertiga doesn't get it.

While the number of "extra" reinforcements and members are very less compared to Ertiga, but the part numbers of almost 80% members and panels are different, even if their shape and dimensions are same as that of Ertiga. I was curious to know what the difference was, and I was told by a person involved in the development of XL6, the grade/tensile strength of steel used for such members/panels are different. And in some places, steel imported from Japan is also used(standard practice with Suzuki TECT labelled cars) which isn't the case with Ertiga. He also shared a sales document screenshot with me, which also confirms the presence of different steel.

Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs-20190909_222059.jpg

Hence I won't be surprised if the XL6 behaves differently compared to Ertiga in crash tests.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th September 2019 at 22:22.
Leoshashi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 22:27   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sharing this info which I got during my regular inspection of the XL6's parts manual. I was pretty curious about the addition which makes XL6 earn the Suzuki TECT badge which they advertise for all NEXA cars, but Ertiga doesn't get it.

He also shared a sales document screenshot with me, which also confirms the presence of different steel.

Regards,
Shashi
This might explain the weight gain! There is no way just a couple of plastic cladding and captain seats can bump the weight up significantly when compared with Ertiga. Difference was close 50Kg if I remember right.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 22:54   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Hence I won't be surprised if the XL6 behaves differently compared to Ertiga in crash tests.
Many thanks for sharing this useful information.
I have always felt that the Ignis and Baleno feels better built than the New Swift. Could be because of this Suzuki TECT body.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 02:01   #395
BHPian

Quote:
I have always felt that the Ignis and Baleno feels better built than the New Swift. Could be because of this Suzuki TECT body.
Even I feel the same but all the three cars scored 3 stars in euro ncap (without safety pack) so I really don't think there is any difference in their structures.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10th September 2019, 04:18   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Even I feel the same but all the three cars scored 3 stars in euro ncap (without safety pack) so I really don't think there is any difference in their structures.
That's applicable for the cars sold in European market. In India, there is a lot of circus going on in the name of cost cutting, and hence, even the shell construction is doubtful.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 04:32   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
I am not sure, but I would presume that in Europe all the 3 cars would have TECT body.

In india, only the nexa models have TECT body.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 14:34   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohin4110 View Post

That said, nothing matches a shining black when just cleaned and tyres dressed, and with a lighter body shade on the car adds to the contrast. However in India, the shine doesn't last long enough, when you start driving around on dusty roads
Have you started your ownership thread, pls do if not done already.
Old 11th September 2019, 14:39   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Hence I won't be surprised if the XL6 behaves differently compared to Ertiga in crash tests....
I got some information on this from my birdies. As per them safety wise there is no difference between Ertiga and XL6. Both of them comply to the current and near future Indian safety norms. Both of them much better than the outgoing Eritga.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 08:40   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I got some information on this from my birdies. As per them safety wise there is no difference between Ertiga and XL6. Both of them comply to the current and near future Indian safety norms. Both of them much better than the outgoing Eritga.
Looks like Maruti took its sweet time to understand that safety does matter! I wouldn't have choose another brand had their cars been safer! I do miss driving my Swift

They still have long way to go, at this phase they might need half a decade more for a car with 6 airbags.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:38   #401
BHPian

This XL6 looks more macho than any other car made by Maruti these days. It is more pleasing to look than the current Ertiga. They have got the front-end of the car right.
However, the rear is less hideous than Ertiga, with tail lamp design inspired from Volvo and a hint of Ciaz's boot into it.
Now that Maruti has cemented the partnership with Toyota, I think it should pull a few strings to procure the 1.8L petrol from Corolla and plonk it into XL6. It will work wonders, if they also put wider tyres.
Old 14th September 2019, 13:45   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohin4110 View Post

Another look at the clean side profile of the XL6, with nice crease lines along the body...
Attachment 1912668
Are you planning to put the Nexa official rear spoiler, that would change the side profile for better, IMO. A higher top stance.
Old 14th September 2019, 14:52   #403
BHPian

Any chance to expect 6 airbags in XL6 in the near future along with a change in the 4 speed TC AT to a better one. Thanks.
Old 16th September 2019, 16:12   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki XL6 Now Looks Premium With New 16 Alloy Wheels.

Quote:
Now, Maruti Suzuki has gone one step further by replacing the 15 alloy wheels with 16 alloy wheels and a blackened roof to give it a premium appearance.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th September 2019 at 16:16.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 17:22   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki XL6 Now Looks Premium With New 16” Alloy Wheels.

Link
Thanks for this information. Checked with a dealer in Chennai and they still do not have information on this change. Autoportal site do not indicate if this is applicable to both variants (Zeta and Alpha).

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th September 2019 at 17:26. Reason: trimmed quoted post
ranjish is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed