Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd August 2019, 18:53   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Top Gear magazine (India) winding down

Tbh, I am not too sad. They are over-priced for what they provide, which is essentially just about half of the content you already get in team BHP, printed in soft quality paper.

Ever since I came across team bhp, I never had to purchase expensive mags like TG to keep myself updated about the car scene.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yup, got a call few weeks ago saying that the pending subscription stands cancelled and the balance shall be sent via cheque through post.
It was an okay magazine. I got it at a massive discount.
Frankly, printed magazines are not what they used to be. Actual readable content is limited and the rest of the pages are full of random ads and car specifications.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 15:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Top Gear Magazine is going to be back soon. Saw this post on their Facebook page.

Top Gear magazine (India) winding down-top-gear.png
ChiragM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 09:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

And first issue after rebirth is out on stands now.

Source: Insta feed of Abhay Verma

Top Gear magazine (India) winding down-topgearindiamarch2020.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 09:01   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
And first issue after rebirth is out on stands now.
Yawn. Seems like more of the same thing. Among the magazines, nothing touches Autocar India.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 12:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion unless the print media tackles the issue of dwindling subscriptions (competing with free online content), it will die its natural death.

Just like Sports channels, Automobile Magazines are now a days full of advertisements. Though ads may pay for costs, viewers/readers are pretty irritated when two thirds of content is ads.

It is high time that they realised that we are paying a steep price for the content and not ads. As they continue milking us with high costs, all we can do is consumer resistance - stop buying, and that hurts.

In my opinion if the print media is to resurrect itself, they should pull up the act :
. Have better editorial content.
. Have better and faster news.
. Reduce the ads to a bare minimum.
. Give free access to paid online content bundled up with print subscription.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 19:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yawn. Seems like more of the same thing. Among the magazines, nothing touches Autocar India.
Any particular reason why? To me they all look the same and appear just as sold out
Old 15th March 2020, 08:30   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
To me they all look the same and appear just as sold out
Oh yeah, definitely sold out & biased too. But among all the mags, ACI is a bit more informative & fun, with a better writing style. Let me put it another way = the other mags, I can complete from front to back in 30 - 45 minutes. ACI = I can read for 2 hours.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 09:03   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh yeah, definitely sold out & biased too. But among all the mags, ACI is a bit more informative & fun, with a better writing style. Let me put it another way = the other mags, I can complete from front to back in 30 - 45 minutes. ACI = I can read for 2 hours.
Autocar India is simply a superior product - it's not just about content. When compared to its peers, Autocar India has -

- Better paper quality (brighter and thicker)
- Nicer fonts and spacing
- Significantly better quality photos.
- Overall presentation of content and reviews

This is probably because of its Autocar UK/Haymarket connection.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 09:32   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Recollecting the earlier decades, I would reach the newsstand ever since 1986, when the Indian Auto Journal issue was due to arrive. It used to come very late every month, but the joy and 'cloud nine' feel every time I laid my hands on the latest, was so perceptible. There would be a road test feature, only once every few months as new launches were not so frequent.

Car and Bike International and later Overdrive magazines would also be bought ocassionally by me.

Soon came Auto India by 1991, and it almost fully dominated the scene during the 1990's.

Come Autocar India during the turn of the millennium , all others were reduced to pygmies, with some nearly decimated and while some fled. Autocar became the darling of auto buffs and can be aptly called the then Big A of the automobile media.

Top Gear was never my favourite, though I had subscribed to it for a full two years. Very few will mourn its demise, as it was just pulling on with nothing very outstanding done.

Come the age of the electronic media and teambhp, every unbiased information is available at the click of the mouse from anywhere in the world on a 24X7 basis. So only the fittest in the magazine world will survive. Autocar needs to prune its big fat anniversary issues, taxing its buyers with an unwanted premium.

But sadly, none of these magazines covered vintages as comprehensively as the Indian Auto Journal did. Teambhp covers everything in automobiles and vintage lovers always look ahead here for anything new from the vintage world.

Now, suppose some teambhpian is based in Siberia and his Mausi in Puttuparthy wants to buy a new car. The bhpian can give his dear Mausi tons of advise to get one suited to the Lady Mausi's likings.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th March 2020 at 09:35.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed