Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 20:45   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Vellfire luxury MPV coming to India Edit: Launched at Rs. 79.5 lakhs

Imagine a stealth blacked out version of this with big wheels and all the chrome stripped out.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 20:51   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Vellfire luxury MPV coming to India Edit: Launched at Rs. 79.5 lakhs

Of course there is no comparison at all since the target audience, segments, purpose & capabilities of both cars are totally different.

But a Toyota MPV priced higher than the all conquering Land Rover Defender launched on same day in India. Just sounds so wicked .
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 23:56   #108
BHPian

Well even though the primary use of this vehicle may not be concerned with the power figures but for more than 85L on road, and for such a heavy vehicle, isn't 115 BHP a tad too underkill? I mean it will take forever to overtake in highways with that power to weight ratio. In comparison, the V class has a fair ~170BHP on the tap and the brand value will be the cherry on top. Despite the quality on offer, this doesn't seem to be a very good placement IMHO.
aenkay91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 00:02   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenkay91 View Post
Well even though the primary use of this vehicle may not be concerned with the power figures but for more than 85L on road, and for such a heavy vehicle, isn't 115 BHP a tad too underkill? I mean it will take forever to overtake in highways with that power to weight ratio. In comparison, the V class has a fair ~170BHP on the tap and the brand value will be the cherry on top. Despite the quality on offer, this doesn't seem to be a very good placement IMHO.
Vellfire is a hybrid. In addition to the 115 BHP engine, it has a 105 kW front motor and 50 kW rear motor.

So yes, Vellfire is an AWD van!
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 00:33   #110
BHPian

Scoop! Toyota Vellfire luxury MPV coming to India Edit: Launched at Rs. 79.5 ...

To me the Vellfire looks yuck. I don't know why would anyone prefer it over the Carnival which is available at less than half price and looks better and more premium!
Old 27th February 2020, 08:45   #111
BHPian

I live in Kuala Lumpur and these are common sight over here. I am sure its not cheap here either, but I can't fathom why should it cost too much. I'm really trying hard. The body looks like a poorly designed body kit tacked on by a corner accessory shop at best.
sreeharipv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 08:52   #112
BHPian

Reminds me of a horrid hotwheels van from my childhood. Though tastes may be subjective the ask is just too much. I wouldn't mind have two carnivals at home than one of these or actually buy a carnival and save the rest for something else? The merc van just in terms of vanity and brand makes a lot more sense now that the Verfire' here!
TejasV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:05   #113
BHPian

Are we finally ready to host luxury MPVs in India? Looks to be case with the first 3 shipments already sold-out (180 cars?). The targeted audience here is completely different. I see this MPV gaining success (700-1000 units a year). One thing that stood out for me is the claimed FE for this thing. Clearly shows what proper hybrids are capable of and our government is busy pushing premature EVs on us.
Old 27th February 2020, 16:06   #114
BHPian

After the stupendous success of Qualis and then the Innova, Toyota will be counting on this 'mass mover' to take away some of the pain from its abysmal passenger car sales.

Tarik, on your point on hybrids versus proper EVs, I think the idea was that supporting hybrids would actually prevent manufacturers from pushing hard to develop full fledged EVs. It is only a matter of time. I suppose India became a full hybrid market, I would imagine it would be very difficult for it to then transition to EVs.
Old 27th February 2020, 17:09   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhejit View Post
After the stupendous success of Qualis and then the Innova, Toyota will be counting on this 'mass mover' to take away some of the pain from its abysmal passenger car sales.
Nope, they don't want this to be mass market car or fleet car for 5 star hotels. They are mainly targeting this to celebrities, politicians and individuals. Hotels can actually buy this at half price under EPCG scheme, but Toyota doesn't want to sell it to them. This is a branding exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhejit View Post
Tarik, on your point on hybrids versus proper EVs, I think the idea was that supporting hybrids would actually prevent manufacturers from pushing hard to develop full fledged EVs.
Toyota has extensive studies and reasoning on why Hybrid is better than BEV. We will address it in the official report.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 18:01   #116
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hotels can actually buy this at half price under EPCG scheme, but Toyota doesn't want to sell it to them.
Under the EPCG scheme, the import duty is only about 8% i believe! Hotels & travel agencies can still perhaps order through some private importer i guess.
Old 27th February 2020, 18:37   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Under the EPCG scheme, the import duty is only about 8% i believe! Hotels & travel agencies can still perhaps order through some private importer i guess.
It's complicated if at all it's even an option currently after so many misuses in the last decade. I am expecting a lot of State Governments to order. They don't have to pay Customs nor GST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nope, they don't want this to be mass market car or fleet car for 5 star hotels. They are mainly targeting this to celebrities, politicians and individuals.
They can say whatever they want but most of the Hotels are good with Innova's and smaller cars. Some of the other premium ones will pick a 7 series over a Van.

Quote:
This is a branding exercise.
To achieve what? Everyone knows they produce good quality reliable cars mostly devoid of features available on other in a particular segment

Quote:
Toyota has extensive studies and reasoning on why Hybrid is better than BEV.
Hybrids help in an increase of mileage but not much beyond that. They spent a lot of time developing hybrids and Tesla came out of nowhere and instead of catching up, they are trying to defend Hybrids over EV. UK has recently advanced the plans to discontinue IC engines and has included Hybrids as well. Others will also probably follow them. Yes, Hybrids have their own advantages but you are essentially having 2 power sources which, commercially and technically is not the most viable solution.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th February 2020 at 18:45.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 18:45   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

I am surprised even at this price there is no air suspension. For a car built purely for comfort their ought to be.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 19:05   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I am surprised even at this price there is no air suspension. For a car built purely for comfort their ought to be.
You will be even more surprised when you find there is no USB or 12V charging point to charge your mobile phone at the back.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 20:23   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I don’t think there are any Vans with Air Suspension and frankly it will be an overkill given the road conditions in most developed countries where these are seen. For developing countries like ours SUV’s works well.

Air suspension have their own challenges, we have to get these replaced on two of our BMW’s recently - 7 series from 2015 MY and X5 from 2016 MY. Since these were under warranty we were not bothered but if not than it can cost a lot of money.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th February 2020 at 20:24.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed