Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2007, 18:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

WagonR getting a new Auto?

Today I saw an automatic WagonR undergoing testing.I am not sure if this is a new transmission or the same old 3 speed one. The shifter looked new to me ( I am assuming that the old shifter looked exactly like in the auto Zen, I took dippy's old car for reference). The car carried no badges whatsoever. IMHO, its high time the WagonR got a 4speed unit.
As usual, my apologies for the poor quality of the pic. From that, you can barely make out its an auto.

(I had to wait for half an hour before the coast was clear enough to click a pic ).
Old 6th February 2007, 19:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

too good sajo. where did u catch this? there is also Auto Santro in market. but still waiting for buyers.
Old 6th February 2007, 20:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Maruti did show Solio at last Auto-Expo, which apart from Auto box had rotating seats for comfort of disabled.

I sincerely hope its a 4 speed. The gear stick in the pic looks very ugly.

BTW, Why is Maruti fiddling around with wagonR these days.. first the DUO, now the Auto. Lets hope they bring in Diesel as well.

Last edited by DCEite : 6th February 2007 at 20:15.
Old 6th February 2007, 20:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

The gear stick of the earlier car looked a lot uglier.
Old 6th February 2007, 21:51   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
BTW, Why is Maruti fiddling around with wagonR these days.. first the DUO, now the Auto. Lets hope they bring in Diesel as well.
Is there anyway our prayers could be answered???

An Auto WagonR is very much necessary in my opinion. It should be kept as an option atleast. Or please!! make it On Order!!!
I know many buy WagonR just to commute in the city. Some people who owns expensive cars like Mercs, Accords etc.. also has a WagonR for their in-city use. They don't mind the FE etc... They will be very happy if provided with an Auto Option.

The only time I wanted Maruti to follow Hyundai was when the latter launched Santro AT!! And I still wish so!!
Old 6th February 2007, 22:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
too good sajo. where did u catch this? there is also Auto Santro in market. but still waiting for buyers.
I found it parked near ARAI.
Old 6th February 2007, 22:10   #7
BHPian

That's a great news. An auto model will serve a so-far-ignored market of older people, who often shrink from the idea of driving only because they find the gears too complicated. At least, my mom and dad would sure have ventured to take the car out, if I had an auto.

>> Lets hope they bring in Diesel as well.
Diesel engine for smaller cars like Alto/WagonR is unlikely. The car has to be strong and heavy enough to withstand diesel vibrations.
Old 6th February 2007, 22:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good pic sajo

Yes the shifter is indeed a new one. I hope this isa four speed tranny and yes before they get the car into the Indian market they need to train the guys at the service stations on how to repair or work on the auto boxes. The panic look you get from those guy when you take an AT to them is ridiculous
Old 6th February 2007, 22:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a new auto Wagon R. Well advised not to get excited - it aint gonna be. They might simply bring in to give the auto Santro lonely company. A diesel + auto Wagon R in the same car simply aint happening.

@dceite: I dont think the 1.3 Multijet diesel will fit into the Wagon R's engine bay elegantly. If indeed they're looking to release a D Wagon R, it'll be a shoehorn effort - like on the old D Zen, and in the process ruin what little driving dynamics the Wagon R has.
Old 6th February 2007, 22:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

The shifter had a chromed out button as against the black one earlier (again...Dippy's Zen referred). What surprised me that the car had absolutely no badges on it. Not even registration numbers of any kind (unusual for ARAI test cars). It was as if it was just unloaded from a truck.
Old 6th February 2007, 23:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

One thing is for sure.... Maruti has matured into the most energetic car maker here... Too good for a car-maker that thrived on decade old models...

As of december 2006, (source ACI)
WagonR sold 9807 units
Santro sold 9663 units
Zen estilo sold 5838 units... (There is a month waiting period here)

WagonR sells more cause of the LPg version DUO... Now, if wagonR gets the autobox, Zen estilo will also get it (as they share almost all mechanicals)... Tougher times for the competition...

Good too see that Indian car market is growing at a decent pace...
Old 7th February 2007, 09:39   #12
BHPian

An auto on Wagon-R/Estilo would certainly be nice, but seriously doubt its success in India.

Santro has been having this option for years, and still there are only a handful of Santro ATs on the roads. The higher price and lower FE scares the cost-conscious small car buyer away.

OT: How about giving it on the Swift ?
Old 8th February 2007, 16:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Today I saw an automatic WagonR undergoing testing.I am not sure if this is a new transmission or the same old 3 speed one. The shifter looked new to me ( I am assuming that the old shifter looked exactly like in the auto Zen, I took dippy's old car for reference). The car carried no badges whatsoever. IMHO, its high time the WagonR got a 4speed unit.
As usual, my apologies for the poor quality of the pic. From that, you can barely make out its an auto.

(I had to wait for half an hour before the coast was clear enough to click a pic ).
Mail de pics to ACI, u'll win 1 yr subscription
Old 8th February 2007, 17:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malteshashrit View Post
Mail de pics to ACI, u'll win 1 yr subscription
Nothing of that sort happens. Have tried twice before.
Old 8th February 2007, 20:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice find there sajo.

Quote:
BTW, Why is Maruti fiddling around with wagonR these days.. first the DUO, now the Auto.
Have the same question actually.I thought we would get a auto box first for the estilo especially considering women are a major target market for the estilo

Most Viewed