Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass diesel AT to be offered in lower trims

According to a media report, the diesel automatic version of the Jeep Compass could be offered in lower and mid-spec trims. It could be launched around Diwali.

Jeep Compass diesel AT to be offered in lower trims-2017jeepcompass03.jpg

At present, the only diesel automatic variant in the Compass line up is the Trailhawk. It is positioned at the top of the Compass range and is priced at Rs. 26.80 lakh.

Reports suggest that Jeep could offer the combination of the BS-VI compliant 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine and 9-speed automatic in lower and mid-spec variants of the standard Compass. It may not be offered in Limited Plus trim and is rumoured to miss out on a four-wheel drive system.

The Trailhawk is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder engine produces 170 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 350 Nm of torque @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. It is paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission. It gets all-wheel drive as well.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2019 at 09:42.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Jeep Compass diesel AT to be offered in lower trims

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
9-speed automatic in lower and mid-spec variants of the standard Compass.
Another car without 6 airbags on the diesel automatic

So just like the Innova Crysta, you get a bare bones automatic or an overpriced automatic. No variant at a decent price.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:07   #3
BHPian

This seems more like a forced reaction to the competition, they cannot step back and reduce prices, instead just offering what they can. I'm neutral towards this move, people who cannot go for the top variant can atleast find a fun to drive car with an automatic option in the mid spec variant (although it will still be pricey). Had Jeep compass been more affordable, it would've swept the charts right away.

Last edited by SpideyBoy : 22nd July 2019 at 18:09.
SpideyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 19:23   #4
BHPian

Hector Effect? I thought they may do this when Harrier was launched, but Harrier was launched as a work in progress. But, a welcome move to give everyone the choice withing their budget.
.HEM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 19:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Assuming they offer it on sport plus variant, there is some hope of getting a decently equipped mid-size Diesel Automatic SUV close to 20 lacs on-road. The sport plus diesel retails at 16.99 lac ex-showroom, so it is entirely possible for Jeep to offer the Auto version of Sport Plus at say, 18 lacs, if they go a bit aggressive to capture share. Which would translate to around 21 lacs on-road. At that price point, it would be an attractive proposition compared to say a Seltos, it would have a much more powerful engine and better driving dynamics and a much superior auto transmission with 9 cogs!
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Trust FCA India to botch up a fantastic product. When the Diesel AT came earlier this year, they launched it only in the Trailhawk trim & tried to do a Mercedes (i.e. premium pricing for a small package). The Trailhawk fell flat on its own face, with a prominent dealer telling me no one is interested in it.

Now, the Diesel AT will come, but way too late. The Compass was originally launched TWO YEARS ago, and Jeep took this long to give the market what it wants. SUV owners love their diesel automatics. Talk about being slow & complacent .

That said, I'm glad to finally see that a more reasonably priced Diesel AT is planned. This remains one of my favourite cars on sale in India . Looking forward to test-driving it.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:59   #7
BHPian

The issue is there are rumours about a facelift in 2020. This puts me and a lot of people interested in a diesel AT in a conundrum.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:26   #8
BHPian

A welcome move, although a little late!

Also been hearing about the facelift in 2020 with the BSVI engines and refreshed interiors and a new 1.3L petrol engine with a 9 speed automatic! Jeep better not be late for those as well - they have a killer product in hand, they just need a better go-to-market strategy.
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:39   #9
BHPian

Jeep had lost a golden chance... had they launched Diesel automatic about an year back, that would have been a different ball game. Now with new market players coming in (read as MG and Kia), the offerings from Jeep looks a bit downsized from a normal buyers outlook. Car enthusiasts still know that the car dynamics in Jeep Compass is much better than that in Hector, Seltos and Harrier, but those people are very less in number. If Jeep brings in lower end variant of Jeep Compass Diesel Automatic, that would still be priced higher than that of MG Hector and Kia Seltos's high end variant. Jeep needs to package the newer diesel automatics better. Spending more than 20L for a car, which has only 2 airbags wouldn't be my cup of team. At least the should bring in 6 air bags along with Diesel Auto from the mid Variant Longitude(O).
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to a media report, the diesel automatic version of the Jeep Compass could be offered in lower and mid-spec trims
Why did they have to do things in reverse order? First they launch the exorbitantly priced Trailhawk with a diesel auto and when they realized that it is a dud, they are trying to tap the diesel/auto/SUV segment by introducing it on lower variants. Did they think that they will be able to sell Trailhawk at that unreasonable price only by virtue of the diesel-auto? Too little too late FCA!! Whoever made this strategy should be fired right away

Quote:
... and a low-ratio gearbox as well.
There you go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This remains one of my favourite cars on sale in India
Despite broken axles and leaking seals?

Last edited by cool_dube : 23rd July 2019 at 14:02.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

From what I understand, Compass facelift will come sometime in late 2020 or 2021 after the Jeep Low D (7-seat SUV) hits the market.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:28   #12
BHPian

It's better late than never! I am on the lookout for a good AT, diesel or petrol does not make a difference in terms of mileage, but driveability and fun factor plays a major part. Did drive the compass petrol and the diesel did feel the part anyday with the good torque range. Same was the case with the Creta. However, paying 19.25L (SX AT CRDI) OTR in Bangalore for the Creta Diesel Auto makes absolutely no sense and offers just 2 airbags for the price!
This news sounds good to me! However, that said, I've always longed for variants that can provide at least 4 airbags. Even lower end segments with Marutis and Hyundai's are providing 2 airbags as standard and plonking big bucks for the same number of airbags hurts.
advenk999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 08:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

The variant spread in India has just driven us up the pole.

Hyundai are the masters and now everyone seems to be following the winning formula.

Let us just say everyone is Hyundied.

FCA has been stupidly late in the diesel automatic. There was no necessity to wait for their BS VI engines to offer this gearbox and it still is not the best gearbox out there.

However I still think it will offer great value, convenience of an auto, a super ride and handling suv at just over 23 lakhs OTR for the Sport Plus. I will also age well and will remain rugged and last a life time. The Compass is built like a tank.

However, less than 1% of the market will even look at it now with the Hector and Seltos around. The market will just go out and buy the top spec of these cars for similar money or less.

I honestly feel that even with 2 airbags the Compass will come out better than a 6 airbag Creta in a crash.

The rating system in NCAPs has changed with scores being awarded for equipment which can prevent crashes(autonomous braking etc). I just think the rating should purely be in a crash. They could have another assessment for the prevention. This is purely a subjective view and open to debate.

FCA has now outpriced the Compass over competition. They now need a model below the Compass to bring in the footfalls and not the 7 seater at the moment.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:01   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Despite broken axles and leaking seals?
Over the years, I've come to accept that there is no such thing as a "perfect car" (or perfect anything ). Am willing to let go of a little bit of the Creta / Tucson's peace-of-the-mind ownership for the driving pleasure of the Compass. I guess many owners think this way, else the Camry would be the only sedan people buy for 40 lakhs.

As long as the reliability is "acceptable", I'm okay with a European / Indian / American car.

Posted similarly in the D1 segment thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For myself, it would be the Octavia without a doubt. I hate Skoda's dealerships and I know it won't be painless to own in the longer-term (compared to the Japanese & Koreans), but it is the best driving machine in the segment. The 1.8L TSI is of course a stonker, even the 2.0L TDI is the segment best. Will get that 6-year extended warranty package for reducing hassles.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
However, less than 1% of the market will even look at it now with the Hector and Seltos around. The market will just go out and buy the top spec of these cars for similar money or less.
If they are sensible that might mean that they further reduce the price. Wishful thinking maybe

Most Viewed