Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 00:54   #1
BHPian

State-wise Car Sales Data - April 2018 to March 2019 (FY19)

Statewise Car Sales India – FY19

State-wise Car Sales Data - April 2018 to March 2019 (FY19)-2.jpg

State-wise Car Sales Data - April 2018 to March 2019 (FY19)-screenshot_20190724004833__01.jpg

1. 17,41,234 cars have been sold in the first six months of FY19; and 16,30,997 were sold in last six months of FY19

2. West Zone has emerged as the Top Zone and is significantly ahead than the North & South Zone which have been placed No.2 & No.3 respectively.

3. The Zonewise Toppers are as mentioned: Maharashtra tops West Zone; Kerala for South; Uttar Pradesh for North & West Bengal for East.

4. Top 5 states contribute to 42.1% of national sales and Top 10 states contribute 69%

Source: AutoPunditz
SpideyBoy is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 08:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: State-wise Car Sales Data - April 2018 to March 2019 (FY19)

Thanks for sharing, SpideyBoy! Moving your very useful post into a new thread .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 10:09   #3
BHPian

What is surprising though is how Assam with poor road infrastructure, lower population, lesser road network or even lower number of actual business/industry is out numbering Bihar/Jharkhand/Orissa?

Infact Assam isn't far from beating West Bengal with just a gap or around 20%?

I wonder if these numbers are based on how many cars are despatched to a Assam based showroom or actual cars registered with Assam state RTO?

I guess somehow people from other North Eastern states are buying vehicles from Assam based dealership? Because numbers just fall from a cliff when you see Tripura / Nagaland / Meghalaya / Arunachal.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:39   #4
BHPian

I find it curious that Kerala is ahead of Karnataka, TN, and AP+Telangana. Kerala is smaller than others in both area and population, and I thought economically too! Looks otherwise. Other states definitely have more number of dealerships each, so..??!!
2cents is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 12:55   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I find it curious that Kerala is ahead of Karnataka, TN, and AP+Telangana. Kerala is smaller than others in both area and population, and I thought economically too! Looks otherwise. Other states definitely have more number of dealerships each, so..??!!

1. Kerala is having the highest Human development Index (HDI) among Indian states. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index ). "HDI is composite index that takes into consideration (1) Life expectancy, (2) Education and (3) Per capita income."

2. In Kerala, the population is around 3.3 Crores which is lesser compared to other states, but the population density is high.
3. The development is more evenly distributed compared to some other states.
4. In some other states, money is mainly with some limited number of people.
5. Eventhough the roads are a chaos most of the time, most of the people are connected with roads.
6. Even though there are not much big industries, people go outside the state and country for earning. Gulf countries are their favorite destination.
7. House and cars are considered as a prestige symbol there.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th July 2019 at 13:07.
romeomidhun is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 13:17   #6
BHPian

Delhi sells more car per 1000 people than Kerala. Maybe because it is the capital city. Haryana is a close third.

Name:  carsales.PNG
Views: 7985
Size:  16.0 KB
civic-sense is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 13:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Also, Few other notable points from Wiki

- Traffic in Kerala has been increasing at a rate of 10-11% every year, resulting in high traffic and pressure on the roads. Traffic density is nearly four times the national average, reflecting the state's high population.

- National Highways in Kerala are among the narrowest in the country and will remain so for the foreseeable future, as the state government has received an exemption that allows narrow national highways.

What shocks me the most is somehow despite of the recent floods, Kerala still managed huge sales
SpideyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 13:59   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
What shocks me the most is somehow despite of the recent floods, Kerala still managed huge sales
Many flooded cars may be "total loss" and replacement sales itself can bring a lot of numbers!
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 14:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Another point to note:

"Kerala has 145,704 kilometres (90,536 mi) of roads, which accounts for 4.2% of India's total. This translates to about 4.62 kilometres (2.87 mi) of road per thousand population, compared to an average of 2.59 kilometres (1.61 mi) in the country"

source: wikipedia
Latheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 14:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
1. Kerala is having the highest Human development Index (HDI) among Indian ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
- Traffic in Kerala has been increasing at a rate of 10-11% every year, resulting in high traffic and pressure on the roads. Traffic density is nearly four times the national average, reflecting the state's high population....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
"Kerala has 145,704 kilometres (90,536 mi) of roads, which accounts for 4.2% of India's total....
Perhaps it's the optics of it. I am familiar with traffic in B'lore, Chennai and other cities in TN. The traffic congestion in Kerala is not even a fraction of those cities, inspite of much narrower roads. Besides, if it is indeed true, then why are there lesser number dealerships in Kerala? Or, did I get that wrong!

Ps: I presently live and drive in Kerala.
2cents is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 14:39   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Perhaps it's the optics of it. I am familiar with traffic in B'lore, Chennai and other cities in TN. The traffic congestion in Kerala is not even a fraction of those cities, inspite of much narrower roads.
Agree, but get out of the Bangalore / Chennai city and you can travel freely through their highways. But that is almost impossible in Kerala, as there are not much good highways. Kerala can be considered as a huge city scattered across the entire state. Such is the population and vehicle spread.

Quote:
Besides, if it is indeed true, then why are there lesser number dealerships in Kerala? Or, did I get that wrong!.
Even though main dealerships are less in number, there are a lot of "satellite sub-showrooms" at various small towns. Some of those can barely accommodate 2 cars, but doing decent business for their main showrooms located in the bigger cities.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th July 2019 at 14:46.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 14:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps it's the optics of it. I am familiar with traffic in B'lore, Chennai and other cities in TN. The traffic congestion in Kerala is not even a fraction of those cities, inspite of much narrower roads. Besides, if it is indeed true, then why are there lesser number dealerships in Kerala? Or, did I get that wrong!

Ps: I presently live and drive in Kerala.
You want to experience Kerala traffic? Try driving from TVM to Kannur/Kasaragode during the day time!

Kerala is different comparing to other states when it comes to urbanization. It is almost uniform from north to south. I am from Tier 2 city in Kerala and we have almost all car dealerships except big 3 Germans. Many have multiple dealerships as well. In other states number of dealerships are concentrated in big cities and rest of the cities have few. It is evenly distributed in Kerala, and you may even find some dealerships in Tier 2 city but not in Tier 1.

I just did a quick check:

New MG Motors showrooms - Available in Kochi, Kozhikode, Thrissur. Not available in Thiruvananthapuram yet.
KIA Motors - Significant percentage of dealers are already in Kerala (comparing to other states) - Kochi (2), Thiruvananthapuram, Kozhikode, Palakkad, Kannur, and Malappuram

Above list is based on google search, I could be wrong.

Last edited by Latheesh : 25th July 2019 at 15:07.
Latheesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
What is surprising though is how Assam with poor road infrastructure, lower population, lesser road network or even lower number of actual business/industry is out numbering Bihar/Jharkhand/Orissa?

Infact Assam isn't far from beating West Bengal with just a gap or around 20%?
Have you been to Assam in person to see the road conditions/infrastructure?

It might not be on the same level as developed states of Punjab/Gujarat etc. But roads/connectivity in Assam aren't that bad. BTW I know the perception of Assam is of HILLY Terrain, which is far from reality. The states that surround are hilly, not Assam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
I wonder if these numbers are based on how many cars are despatched to a Assam based showroom or actual cars registered with Assam state RTO?

I guess somehow people from other North Eastern states are buying vehicles from Assam based dealership? Because numbers just fall from a cliff when you see Tripura / Nagaland / Meghalaya / Arunachal.

Don't think people from other states would buy from Assam because the taxes/duties are lower in those states than in Assam.

But yes, the Numbers (and national market share) do surprise even someone who us originally from Assam (myself). But being an expat who occasionally visits Assam, I do see the visible changes.

People now have trouble find parking spaces in the Small Towns. The Assamese have also begun to indulge in Luxury 4 Wheelers like Merc, Audi, Toyota Fortuner. Around 2 decades back, it was unthinkable as people used to be terrified in displaying their wealth for the fear of extortion. Clearly not now.

Last edited by payeng : 25th July 2019 at 15:22.
payeng is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 10:22   #14

With regards to Kerala, what I have observed is the sheer number of "small" cars on the roads, especially in the tier-2 towns. That could be a factor when analyzing how Kerala beat the heavy-weights like Karnataka.
kuriancjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 12:17   #15
BHPian

Kerala is really surprising. I would assume that Kerala would do even better if the data also had a break up of luxury car numbers
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed