Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2019, 10:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Im sure there have been quite a number of pre-orders already. At least 3 of my friends are getting one.
As per my info. about 40 units in Petrol were arranged via CBU and all of these are sold out, how much this is correct needs to be seen as they have not even listed specs and features of Petrol at the website. Diesel deliveries will start from around October. Maybe BMW just wants to have a firm order list and that's the reason they have launched earlier. Dealerships are asking to book in case firm delivery is required in 2019. Maybe they have taken the cue from smart Koreans, launch the car and then gather bookings

In any case, GLS is still away so, BMW gets the advantage. So if any guys are waiting for Discounts on this car, not going to happen in 2019.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 10:58   #17
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Im happy with the x7 pricing, just irritated with the fact that a cheaper car is priced almost 30% more in India.
I guess BMW is trying to cross subsidize the 40i with the 30d just to achieve a ex showroom price below 1Cr mark. 30d will still be the volume puller (if I may call that) and pricing it higher than what it should've been and bringing the price of the 40i lower and selling both at the same price. Just my thought, may or may not be true.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 12:07   #18
BHPian

Pound for pound, I don't think that there is much difference between X7 and 7 series. Yet, look at the price difference. I don't think that 7 series has 30-40 lac worth or extra cost of manufacturing or BOQ to justify such a gap!

Considering, BMW is already being hammered abroad for charging USD80 for apple carplay per year, they need to sort out pricing.

The German Trio has have us believed that these S classes n all are worthy only above 1 cr. price tag, But IMHO, the price gap between international mkt and india is way too high inspite of the taxes. Moreover, these cars are mostly imported at undervalued pricing or the "stock" pricing, which is way less than even the MRP abroad.
sidharthg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 12:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A Maybe BMW just wants to have a firm order list and that's the reason they have launched earlier. Dealerships are asking to book in case firm delivery is required in 2019. Maybe they have taken the cue from smart Koreans, launch the car and then gather bookings
The horror of discounted inventory coupled with a lack of a competitive alternative means BMW can afford to do this until the next GLS rolls in. Will also help plan the CKD packs as they need to come in from the US.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 14:04   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I thought this is probably the first time that an SUV (X7) is priced cheaper than the equivalent sedan (7-Series), but I just checked the price of the GLS and it starts even lower ((88 lakhs, ex-showroom in Mumbai). Q7 also has a range of 74 - 86 lakhs. So in that sense, the X7 isn't that terrifically priced.

Looking forward to hearing from owners on how comfortable that 6-seat variant is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
They have clearly shadowed out the 'Exciting, modern and ever growing Kidney'.
Indeed. Car makers almost always highlight some design touches in their marketing material. This is the FIRST time I'm seeing someone trying to intentionally conceal one .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 14:44   #21
BHPian

The i6 petrol engine is a gem.But, in my opinion it has always been a better fit in GTesque cars as opposed to a Crossover/SUV.The x7 would have been a hoot to drive if it came with a 400bhp/550nm state of tune for the i6 engine.
Old 26th July 2019, 14:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I thought this is probably the first time that an SUV (X7) is priced cheaper than the equivalent sedan (7-Series), but I just checked the price of the GLS and it starts even lower ((88 lakhs, ex-showroom in Mumbai). Q7 also has a range of 74 - 86 lakhs. So in that sense, the X7 isn't that terrifically priced.

Looking forward to hearing from owners on how comfortable that 6-seat variant is.

Indeed. Car makers almost always highlight some design touches in their marketing material. This is the FIRST time I'm seeing someone trying to intentionally conceal one .
But the X7 isn’t a real 7 series equivalent . It’s just a stretched X5 isn’t it? The 7 series also has carbon core or something or the other in it’s chassis. I still see the big full size sedans(sclass, a8 , 7 series) as the flagship of their companies.
These seven seater SUVs come below them in my opinion
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 15:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I can imagine your predicament. So, how they usually work is by committing some numbers on CBU models to HQ and a road map for converting CBU to CKD, in such cases they get support & keep the CIF value limited under 40-K USD, Petrol engines with less than 3000 ccs qualify for lower Custom. Such vehicles do lose some features also as in this case of X7.

On M4 or M3 this is not possible as there are no firm buyers and CKD is ruled out. They did the same on M2 and recently with Z4, but I don't think M4 and M5 can get them any significant numbers even of they drop prices by 20-30%.
True, but if the M3/4 is priced right (like how they did the effort in the x7 pricing) they will manage better numbers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
I guess BMW is trying to cross subsidize the 40i with the 30d just to achieve a ex showroom price below 1Cr mark. 30d will still be the volume puller (if I may call that) and pricing it higher than what it should've been and bringing the price of the 40i lower and selling both at the same price. Just my thought, may or may not be true.
Yes.

Overall my post was to create a quick awareness about the USA v/s India price of these imported models and how their priced in India.

karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
What's wrong with BMW India's pricing strategy ?

The X7 in the USA starts at aprox U$ 74k & in India it is priced @ 98.90L.

Where as the M4 in the USA starts at aprox U$ 69k & in India it was launched @ 1.3x cr.

Hope no one here starts discussing about how the cars are specced in india v/s USA etc. & all such small talk in support of BMW India.

Both are CBU's (atleast one of the X7 variant is & also the M3/4 are imports). Whatever happened lets hope the next gen M3/4 is priced similarly to the x7 pricing.

BMW have been pretty good with their pricing in the past few launches. What you've mentioned above could be simply this:

M3/4/5 etc don't qualify for under $40k bracket. They pay more import duty. The only car which comes within is the M2C and that is brilliantly priced.

X7 is meant to be a CKD and the pricing reflects that. We're just getting a few pieces of the CBU 40i till the local production begins. It is very likely BMW are taking a revenue hit to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
But the X7 isn’t a real 7 series equivalent . It’s just a stretched X5 isn’t it? The 7 series also has carbon core or something or the other in it’s chassis. I still see the big full size sedans(sclass, a8 , 7 series) as the flagship of their companies.
These seven seater SUVs come below them in my opinion

I heard in a few reviews (including Carfection) that is it based on the 7 series platform but without the carbon core. Definitely not a stretched X5.

When I drove the Cullinan and Phantom back to back the Cullinan drove as beautifully as the Phatom. And as luxurious. It's much cheaper though and I think that's the best deal out of all the cars they sell. Same way I believe the X7 is a really well made discount 7 series.

There should be an M50d version coming later as well

Last edited by goingout : 26th July 2019 at 16:37.
goingout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 17:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Rode one sometime back in NY. This is a very impressive SUV.

It ticks all the right boxes and the third row seats are actually usable for anyone other than the globetrotters. It is very well knitted out and BMW's technology and entertainment packages are first class. Loaded to the gills. it also felt very car like in terms of ambiance and noise. Ride was supple and space was ample. The quality was right up there matching the bar. All in all BMW has done a great job with this.

I dint like the fact that to get to the third row seats you had to electronically move the second row. It is slow and could get frustrating waiting for the seat to move. One of those rare occasions where a manual seat lever would have been more helpful and quick.
Also, that front grill is very very ugly. Thankfully you will not be looking at it while driving but BMW would have gotten a clear message now that the over sized grill theme has not taken off.
I was told that with options this thing could get expensive though I am not sure what all are they offering as standard equipment here in India.

Last edited by bigron : 26th July 2019 at 17:35.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 21:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
What's wrong with BMW India's pricing strategy ?

The X7 in the USA starts at aprox U$ 74k & in India it is priced @ 98.90L.

Where as the M4 in the USA starts at aprox U$ 69k & in India it was launched @ 1.3x cr.

Hope no one here starts discussing about how the cars are specced in india v/s USA etc. & all such small talk in support of BMW India.

Both are CBU's (atleast one of the X7 variant is & also the M3/4 are imports). Whatever happened lets hope the next gen M3/4 is priced similarly to the x7 pricing.

But specs are important. USD 74k will get you nothing on the X7. There will be literally no cars on the dealer lot priced at 74k. I would suggest you try speccing a X7 on bmwusa.com, similar to the one they will sell in India. I will be very surprised if you get it for anything under 90k.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 23:00   #27
BANNED

Carfection review on X7 is out:

Last edited by manson : 12th June 2020 at 15:36.
pavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 11:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

Checked the seating here in Canada today in Details

Legroom and the overall support/ width/ feel on the Rear Single seats is not something that guys planning to sit in the rear will appreciate. They have made this to chair seven guys in relative comfort but in my opinion, failed. Though headroom is more than enough, overall the rear seats feel tiny and with hardly any support.

Here are some pictures with Driver and passenger seat set for a normal guy 5-11.

So, if anyone is considering this to pick for travelling long distances on the rear seat, better check one in person before committing.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh-whatsapp-image-20190727-8.47.06-am.jpeg  

BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh-whatsapp-image-20190727-8.47.06-am-1.jpeg  

BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh-whatsapp-image-20190727-8.47.06-am-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th July 2019 at 11:32.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 19:42   #29
BHPian

BMW X7 India review, test drive - Autocar India

Quote:

Clambering onto the last row of seats isn’t the easiest exercise; and that’s despite the large rear doors and even the option to remotely (via the display key) drop suspension height by 40mm for easy access. What’s also a bit frustrating is how long the fully-electric middle-row seats take to whirr forward and out of the way. As for the third row itself, the news is good. Where the last-gen X5’s optional third row felt like a punishment posting, the X7’s seating is well-suited to human-sized adults. Sure, you sit a touch low, but it’s easy to reach a legroom compromise with the middle-row passenger, the large windows and third-row moon roof let in plenty of light, and the five-zone climate control system means you can adjust temperature at the very back too.

The all-important middle row also makes a strong first impression. Our test car features the six-seat configuration with individual captain’s chairs, in place of the bench on seven-seat versions. The chunky seats are generously cushioned and the powered controls for recline and fore/aft movement make it real easy to find the ideal seating position.
Quote:
Floor the throttle on an empty tarmac and you’ll immediately experience the full might of the engine. The X7 takes off like an angry gorilla, and the full-bodied exhaust note sure makes it sound like one too. You can feel the thrust in the small of your back, and what will leave you awestruck is the sustained pull; it feels like a free-revving petrol and is happy to race past 5,000rpm before the sublime 8-speed auto snaps in with an upshift. The transmission is also supremely indulgent to high rpm downshifts effected at the paddles and gear lever. BMW claims a 0-100kph time of 5.4sec. Just think about it – 5.4sec to 100kph for a 2,460kg SUV.

The X7 also backs up the performance with impressive handling. It’s not lithe or agile like a smaller SUV but is nevertheless happy to change direction, and it also turns in tighter and sharper than, say, a GLS ever could. On twisty roads, the X7 feels like a plus-sized X5, but on the brakes you can’t escape the feeling of commanding a huge and heavy SUV. The X7’s dimensions can be overwhelming in town, and when parking, you’d be wise to consult the readout from the multiple cameras onboard. Or you could even leave the job of parking to the electronics entirely.
Source

0-100kph figure is brilliant for a vehicle of this size and weight. Those 4 turbo chargers are definitely proving to be worthy
SpideyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 23:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

I had a chance to experience the X7 in person at the launch and was pretty impressed (not at all an SUV guy). The grill doesn't look as bad in person, I'm not saying I liked it but it did add to the imposing butch look they're going after.

I'm not totally sold on the modern BMW design language for interiors and shapes they are using but the quality of materials is top notch. I believe this car will sell like hot cakes and definitely want to see it in more interesting shades.

The new 7 series LCI looked stunning in the M760i variant. The grill did seem oversize on the regular (not V12) variant and unlike the X7 does look like they went a bit overboard. But that's just personal opinion you might feel differently about it.

BMW threw a splendid party for the launch. I would go as far as saying it was the best car launch I've ever been to. With such a downward spiral in the luxury car market I'm glad they are still committed to India and launch more enthusiast focused cars in future. Can't wait to get hands on Z4 and will report once I've driven these two models.

Some pictures I took.
BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh-img_20190725_232618.jpg

BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh-img_20190725_232439.jpg

BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh-img_20190725_223620.jpg
quickdraw is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks