Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 16:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh

BMW has launched the X7 in India. It is positioned above the X5 in the company's SUV model line-up and is available in two variants - xDrive40i and xDrive30d Design Pure Excellence Signature, both priced at Rs. 98.90 lakh (ex-showroom, India). The petrol version will be imported as a completely built unit (CBU), while the diesel version will be assembled locally.

BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh-image-01.jpeg

The BMW X7 measures 5,151 mm in length, 2,000 mm in width and 1,805 mm in height with a wheelbase of 3,105 mm. Its luggage capacity ranges from 326 to 2,120 litres.

The X7 features a large twin-kidney grille finished in chrome and has slim twin-pod LED headlamps on either side. The front bumper has chrome inserts and houses a dual-slat air dam with vents on either side and a silver skid plate. It has wraparound tail lights and twin chrome exhaust tips.

On the inside, the new X7 gets a dual-tone dashboard with a 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and gesture control, 4-zone automatic climate control, wireless charging, ambient lighting and a panoramic sunroof. It has a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel and a digital instrument cluster. The diesel variant gets a 5-zone climate control system and BMW Laserlight headlamps.

The X7 is available in 6 or 7-seater configurations. All three rows of seats get reclining function. Rear seat passengers get 10.2-inch screens as part of the Rear-seat Entertainment Professional package.

The X7 xDrive40i is powered by a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 335 BHP and 450 Nm @ 1,500-5,200 rpm, while the xDrive30d comes with a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder diesel engine that makes 261 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 620 Nm @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. Both engines are mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel drive system. The SUV is equipped with air-suspension that can be raised or lowered.

Safety features offered in the X7 include 6 airbags, Attentiveness Assistance, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) including Cornering Brake Control (CBC), electronically controlled ‘Automatic Differential Brakes/Locks’ (ADB-X), traction control, Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control, 360-degree camera and Reversing Assistant among others.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 16:45   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh

They have clearly shadowed out the 'Exciting, modern and ever growing Kidney'.

Btw, was this the one which had mood lighting for the Kidney?
racer_ash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 17:07   #3
BHPian

Finally a good competitor for the aging GLS (new one coming up in an year) and the superb XC90 from the stable of BMW. Good to have another option in the SUV segment for true 7 seater and not the ersatz 7 seaters that we have in the market today.

Hope they have some good discounts coming up at the end of the year

That kidney grill though , hope they town it down with the mid year refresh.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:07. Reason: Typo.
GS-R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 17:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the last chances to acquire the famed BMW in-line 6 petrol engine! It is a dying breed - even the 5-series available in India has switched to an i4 on the 530i - even though that is a superb turbocharged 4 cylinder that outperforms the NA i6s of the last generation in every way.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 17:49   #5
BHPian

This thing is so big that an entire Maruti 800 could fit within the wheelbase and the width! It is probably as big as an LCV like a 407!

How does one find space on today's crowded roads to drive one? Does it need a "cleaner" to help guide the driver in traffic? Wow! Wow!
Motard_Blr is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 21:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

What's wrong with BMW India's pricing strategy ?

The X7 in the USA starts at aprox U$ 74k & in India it is priced @ 98.90L.

Where as the M4 in the USA starts at aprox U$ 69k & in India it was launched @ 1.3x cr.

Hope no one here starts discussing about how the cars are specced in india v/s USA etc. & all such small talk in support of BMW India.

Both are CBU's (atleast one of the X7 variant is & also the M3/4 are imports). Whatever happened lets hope the next gen M3/4 is priced similarly to the x7 pricing.
karan561 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 21:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Where as the M4 in the USA starts at aprox U$ 69k & in India it was launched @ 1.3x cr.
What pricing were you expecting Karan? I'm surprised it's not above 1 cr . Considering the fact that India is moving towards electric and no sops given for ICE sales which are lagging since last few months I think buying a ICE car is going to keep increasing. The government is going to keep increasing taxes on ICE cars and petrol diesel products and indirectly force consumers to shift to electric. Trust me that's what they've thought of and are implementing.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:09. Reason: Typo.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 21:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
What pricing were you expecting Karan ?
Im happy with the x7 pricing, just irritated with the fact that a cheaper car is priced almost 30% more in India.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:09. Reason: Typo.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 21:54   #9
BHPian

BMW X7 launched at Rs. 98.90 lakh

Quote:
Im happy with the x7 pricing, just irritated with the fact that an cheaper car is priced almost 30% more in India.
Definitely agree with you there. I sat in the x7 and even drove it a little bit almost 2-3 months back in Mumbai. It's a huge car. Feels so large I felt I was driving a large truck which was beautifully done on the inside. Dont know how the drivers are going to acclimatise themselves to the dimensions.

I wish the cars were cheaper like abroad in India and we could buy better quality cars for a change.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:10.
M00M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 21:57   #10
BHPian

This pricing and the Six Seat option make it ultra tempting. Initially I read about pricing in the region on 1.3 to 1.5 cr ex showroom. So it was never in contention. But at 20% premium over X5 on road it should enter the fray

I sent the brochure to my dad. I should check out the Car as soon as it is available.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 22:02   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
This thing is so big that an entire Maruti 800 could fit within the wheelbase and the width! It is probably as big as an LCV like a 407!

How does one find space on today's crowded roads to drive one? Does it need a "cleaner" to help guide the driver in traffic? Wow! Wow!
Rest assured this will find immense love in 2 places, one being Mumbai. The sole movie-star arriving to a party or event entering a narrow, broken cobblestone road in a BMW lorry will get him/her maximum coverage and flashbulbs, after all. This might just be the one to topple the current bolly favorite Audi Q7, heck this looks like it'll eat a Q7 for breakfast, but fear not, the Q8/Q9 might well be on the way.

The second will be Punjab/NCR.. this will look a bit less ridiculous there since the roads aren't as crowded and we all know their love affair with the vaddi gaddi. People who pull up to a highway-side dhaba in that will have the patrons dropping their lassi glass staring at that behemoth.

Big and SUV seems to be the way to go globally, but in India I'm shivering to see how the future X9/11/13 will look like, the grill might be human sized on its own.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:11. Reason: Typo.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 22:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Both are CBU's (atleast one of the X7 variant is & also the M3/4 are imports). Whatever happened lets hope the next gen M3/4 is priced similarly to the x7 pricing.
I can imagine your predicament. So, how they usually work is by committing some numbers on CBU models to HQ and a road map for converting CBU to CKD, in such cases they get support & keep the CIF value limited under 40-K USD, Petrol engines with less than 3000 ccs qualify for lower Custom. Such vehicles do lose some features also as in this case of X7.

On M4 or M3 this is not possible as there are no firm buyers and CKD is ruled out. They did the same on M2 and recently with Z4, but I don't think M4 and M5 can get them any significant numbers even of they drop prices by 20-30%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
This pricing and the Six Seat option make it ultra tempting. Initially I read about pricing in the region on 1.3 to 1.5 cr ex showroom. So it was never in contention. But at 20% premium over X5 on road it should enter the fray
Yes, It's indeed competitive. Except for the ventilated seats, this ticks almost everything else. Really hard to find anything wrong and yes this thing is huge. Larger than anything else and still drives like a BMW. Rear captain seats will be very useful for the chauffer driven vehicles and this will be one of the most comfortable Cars for the rear passengers.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:12. Reason: Typos.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 23:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Rest assured this will find immense love in 2 places, one being Mumbai. The sole movie-star arriving to a party or event entering a narrow, broken cobblestone road in a BMW lorry will get him/her maximum coverage and flashbulbs, after all. This might just be the one to topple the current bolly favorite Audi Q7, heck this looks like it'll eat a Q7 for breakfast, but fear not, the Q8/Q9 might well be on the way.

The second will be Punjab/NCR.. this will look a bit less ridiculous there since the roads aren't as crowded and we all know their love affair with the vaddi gaddi. People who pull up to a highway-side dhaba in that will have the patrons dropping their lassi glass staring at that behemoth.

Big and SUV seems to be the way to go globally, but in India I'm shivering to see how the future X9/11/13 will look like, the grille might be human sized on its own.
For the price that it has been launched it will sell well. Heck Im sure there have been quite a number of pre-orders already. At least 3 of my friends are getting one.

As far as Bollywood is concerned, yes it will find quite a few takers. But the Q7 has long been toppled as the Bolly favourite. That place has now been taken by the Range Rover LWB. In fact I see more LWB Range Rovers than the standard Vogue or Sport on the road, Bollywood or otherwise.
Dippy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 04:20   #14
BHPian

Is it just me or is that grill looking out of place? Would have liked the classic grill better. This is looking outlandish.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 08:45. Reason: Typo.
Old 26th July 2019, 08:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Btw, was this the one which had mood lighting for the Kidney?
No mate that was the upcoming X6
docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed