Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2019, 20:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Behind the scenes: Toyota demonstrates its customer service initiatives (including Express Servi

Never owned a Toyota yet. However, i had reasonably pleasant experiences at Tata, Fiat, Ford, Chevrolet Authorised Service Centres across locations over 80k, 40k, 40k, 15k kms ownership periods respectively. Ford had been a little pushy about unwarranted brake pad, discs replacement once. Even Landmark Fiat tried to coerce me into replacing barely 20k kms run tyres because they couldn't fix a alignment problem. But, once they come to know that you know your car better they give up. Barring these one odd experiences never really had much issues. The service costs are also reasonable i feel.

Look forward to owning a Toyota for it's ownership and service experience.

Last edited by bharatbits : 27th July 2019 at 20:57.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 09:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Behind the scenes: Toyota demonstrates its customer service initiatives (including Express Servi

I have seen 'driver lounges' in other service centers and could perceive a difference in the way the staff greets/treats owners vs drivers. I assume a relatively higher percentage of Toyota cars to be driver driven (in India at least), hope the drivers also echo the positive experience at a Toyota service center.
Old 28th July 2019, 10:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I have seen 'driver lounges' in other service centers and could perceive a difference in the way the staff greets/treats owners vs drivers. I assume a relatively higher percentage of Toyota cars to be driver driven (in India at least), hope the drivers also echo the positive experience at a Toyota service center.
At the Nippon Toyota service center i visit for my Toyota's service in Trivandrum I have not seen a separate for owners only or for drivers only lounge. Everyone including drivers sits in the same lounge and everyone gets served refreshments with light snacks at a fixed intervals or they can go and have some from the counter (for free) whenever they wants to. From what i have seen with my eyes there is no owner/driver discrimination in how the people are treated at the common lounge.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 11:19   #19
BHPian

The Toyota service is one of the better amongst others but it is not as Toyota India has demonstrated in their documented procedure. Reason – The implementation is the responsibility of the service centers and they are not owned by Toyota.

It might be on paper, but practically the implementation is only 60-70 percent effective, e.g., the quick service is good only for cars less than one year old or the ones which are still under warranty. On cars older than that or out of warranty period, the quick service will point out troubles, which can be addressed only in the main service section for which an appointment has to be taken which normally, will be given on another day.

The time of delivery shown on the screen in the customer lounge is the expected time at which the car will come out of the service bay, and not the actual time of delivery. After coming out of the service bay, the car will be in queue for cleaning and washing and this time will depend on the number of cars in queue, depending on the city/location where the service center is.

Finally for the below quote,

"The cars are covered while waiting for delivery. In the morning, this bay is used to park cars waiting for service"

That will never happen at the service center, and as per my experience with Toyota, if you come for the delivery the next day, the car will usually be having a lot of dust on it. If you ask the service guys, they say it was cleaned yesterday

This is practically not possible in Metro cities where the volume of cars visiting the service center is high to an extent that the service centers do not even have enough parking spaces for all cars. After service, the cars are parked on the public roads during the day and in the evening remaining cars are shifted to the service premises where they are jam-packed in such a way that in case of an emergency there isn’t much that can be done.

The above is from my experience with Toyota for over a decade.

The best part is that every complaint sent to Toyota India is addressed to, dealers sometimes may ignore customers complaints and warranty claims, but if a complaint is registered with Toyota India, you will definitely get a solution to it and more often than not, it will be in customer's favour unlike some others like Maruti Suzuki India.

MSIL will never take charge or of an issue or intervene if a solution cannot be provided by the service center, and their various levels of escalation matrix are just show and no go.

Surprisingly Toyota has maintained the quality of service all these years and still kept the costs low. Did annual service of my Innova and Swift last month and was really surprised to see that the service cost was almost the same. to make matter worse MSIL people leave no stones unturned to escalate the service costs.

Owning a Toyota is a much of a peaceful experience and the Toyota India team is much easier to approach in case the need be.

My only grudge with carmakers’ in India, they do not take the responsibility of our cars while the care is under their care for service and other issues.
I don’t know if it’s the same in other countries, but would like to know from the members settled abroad.

Cheers
Brumby is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 12:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I don’t know if it’s the same in other countries, but would like to know from the members settled abroad.
First of all thanks for sharing this. Wonderful thread, showing how Toyota takes it after sales services very seriously indeed. Nice to see these training programs for their mechanics!.

Let me share some experiences from the Western world when it comes to after sales services. Like in India, there are the manufacturer dealerships and the independent service garages. I will concentrate on the manufacturer dealerships only.

By and large these days the basics on how they operate are very similar. You make an appointment, either you call or you do it online. At the appointed day you drive over there. Unless it is something really small and you have agreed it up front, most people will leave their car for the day. You are seen/received at a proper service reception facility. They will have the records of your car, they will talk you through the items you want servicing and give a price. These days most will quote fixed prices on everything.

The service reception is always well maintained, they might have a separate waiting lounge. There will be free coffee/tea/water, free magazines/newspapers and free wifi.

In the Netherlands, many will offer free bicycles for you to peddle back home/work. Quite a few offer a drop of service. One of the mechanics will take you and your car and drop you off somewhere. High end brands might even lend you a car for the day for free. (As did my Jaguar dealership in Kansas City).

Everything is completely digitised/computerized. If you booked your car for a particular job, the parts would have been ordered and are already in the workshop. All workshops have separate bays. There are usually a couple of special bays where specific jobs are carried out that require special tooling.

Parts are ordered ahead of you showing up. All regular service components and parts are stocked by all local dealerships as well. Anything else will get ordered and they will make sure to check everything they need early on in the day. In countries such as the Netherlands and Germany the automotive parts supply and logistics is phenomenally well organised. A dealership will get 2-3 deliveries per day. Deliveries are usually within 2-3 hours after ordering (all online).

It is extremely rare for your car not to be ready by the end of the afternoon. The service centre will call you when your car is ready for delivery, or when they find something that needs attention too and is outside what you had agreed.

Being a car mechanic is considered a good job / career. It earns decent money and these days good car mechanics are in high demand. There are several special type of college degrees as an entry level and just about all brands offer continuous schooling throughout your career.

There is no separate quality control on the work performed. Each mechanics will have a checklist for the type of work he/she (yes there are female car mechanics too) does. You are responsible for your own work. There might be special kind of jobs that need (sometimes for legal reasons) sign off by a dedicated person. Usually the chief mechanic. (E.g. MOT inspection)

When you come to pick up your car, it will be outside in the dealership courtyard. Depending on your dealership they might have thrown in a car wash and a valet. Our Ford dealership has it’s own car wash, so every car no matter what kind of service it comes in for, will get a car wash, free of charge. My Jaguar dealer always valets the car too, no charge.

One thing is common for all, you will need to settle the invoice in full before they release the car to you. Most people will pay by debit/credit card. To give some conext. A regular service on my wife’s Ford Fiesta costs (labour and parts) around Euro 350 (INR 27000). If you get charged by the hour it will be around Euro 70 (INR 5500) per hour, excluding parts (but included are all the facilities and tooling).

The next day, sometimes the same day, you will receive either a telephone call or an email with a customer satisfaction survey. Anything you flag as not good enough is likely to be followed up with you. They will check and come back to you.

So what Toyota is aspiring to implement in India is pretty much how things are done and have been done for quite some time in (most parts) of the Western world.

A very consistent, customer centric, professional service. Fixed pricing, same day turn around, no surprises.

Many dealers will have something like a quick-service. You can just drop in without an appointment. They will check and if the job can be done, they will do it on the spot. Same treatment/proces as your regular service.

I have read many posts on the forum of members complaining being taken for a ride by the dealerships on after sales services. I would say that is more or less unheard of in the western world. It does happen though (I have experienced it too). But by and large you will get a very fair treatment, fixed prices, all done in one day. No hassle.

There are a few downsides too. As they quote standard prices, this implies they have standard procedures and working methods. Which often means they will replace rather than check the part. Often parts can be repaired. This is one of the differences with independent workshops. They might charge by the hour, but they tend to be more flexible in their approach.

One more thing: If you like to hang around whilst they work on your car, obviously there is the nice customer lounge. But nearly all will offer you the opportunity to wander into the workshop and see your car being serviced. In some countries there could be some restrictions due to legal reasons. But usually it’s not a problem and many mechanics quite like it, being able to talk to the customer, showing/explaining etc.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 28th July 2019 at 12:33.
Jeroen is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 17:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Having owned a Toyota before and a Toyota car now, i can really tell you that its quite a satisfying experience with their service centre. From my experience ( with my older Innova that i sold and my current Crysta that i service regularly)

1. Service appointment is a breeze, using their App ( Toyota Connect ). This App also has maps of different states, the details of Service, the past history and invoices of services done. Quite a handy app
2. I get just one confirmation call, and that is also to ensure that i tell them ahead of time if i am not able to make it on the date / time of appointment
3. I always visit on a weekday and with an appointment, and my particular details are already available with a SA assigned already
4. The EQ60 is a boon, especially, with the 5K services
5. The Lounge / Waiting facility is clean, with an LCD and Newspapers and Car Magazines. The Lounge is common for Drivers and Owners alike, and refreshments are provided even without asking
6. They have a Snack machine - the one where you pop currency and choose your cholocates or chips or biscuits
7. I did notice in my previous visit of last month, that they now have SA's who are women. That was a good indicator of their 'Inclusivity/diversity'. I did get a lady SA assigned last time
8. They do try to 'Sell' something beyond the work for that particular service interval, for example, they always try and sell the AC Cleaning or they gently nudge you for under body coating etc..A polite 'No' and they back off.
9. The Feedback calls are always pleasant and its always quick. I am yet to think of any service that i hadn't received a call. They always call and seek feedback
10. What gives me pleasure at the time of exit is when the Security hands over a small Tissue Paper box upon handing the 'Gate Pass' back. Not a big deal, but its nice to have a box of tissues
11. When you visit for the 'FIRST' Service, they make you feel special with a welcome message on their board for you

I havent serviced my car anywhere else, other than Nandi Toyota at Kanakpura Main road and it'll be really hard for me to look elsewhere. Hope they sustain this client centric services.
jkrishnakj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:05   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great thread, thanks for sharing Chirag!

If there ever was a poll, Toyota owners in India would probably emerge as the most satisfied. In fact, I can't remember the last time I met an unhappy Toyota owner. Their customer service & famed reliability are top class. Sure, some models are old (Etios), many overpriced (Yaris), and most boring to drive (Corolla), but they hit the bull's eye in terms of functionality.

Kudos not just to Toyota, but also its dealerships for maintaining a stellar experience.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Having owned a Toyota before and a Toyota car now, i can really tell you that its quite a satisfying experience with their service centre. From my experience ( with my older Innova that i sold and my current Crysta that i service regularly)
Completely agree on this. I had a Etios for about 4+ years and had serviced it only at Harsha Toyota @ Hitech City. In fact when I planned to move to buy an XUV, Harsha Toyota offered the best price for my 4+ year old Etios and I had happily sold it to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If there ever was a poll, Toyota owners in India would probably emerge as the most satisfied. In fact, I can't remember the last time I met an unhappy Toyota owner. Their customer service & famed reliability are top class. Sure, some models are old (Etios), many overpriced (Yaris), and most boring to drive (Corolla), but they hit the bull's eye in terms of functionality.
Just imagining a day when Toyota brings in a connected car with all fancy bells and whistles, being sold at a very competitive price and backed up by the same Toyota Service assurance. I am ready to pre-book that vehicle, even before it is displayed in some Auto Expo.
Old 29th July 2019, 12:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for sharing. I badly wanted to buy the Crysta, but simply couldn't justify buying such a big vehicle since it would be just two of us (me and wifey) traveling, the rear seats are hardly occupied, hence settled for the Scross. Since I was upgrading from a Swift, I didn't want to settle with the Etios. Moreover, I simply didn't like the center-mounted speedometer (no offense to existing owners). Nowadays I dread visiting Maruti service centers for a simple reason, they are overcrowded like crazy. Service costs are higher and lack of quality workmanship is non existent. I did visit one of the Toyota Service centers to get my friend's Crysta serviced, was very much impressed with the workmanship quality and service. My next vehicle would be a Toyota for sure.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 29th July 2019 at 13:03.
Old 29th July 2019, 14:21   #25
BHPian

Having experienced first hand the servicing of Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Fiat, Mahindra & Audi, I can definitively say Toyota is the best. Going through the thread, it is now obvious why they are the best.

The sheer effort they put into ensuring the best service quality coupled with very reliable vehicles to start with is what makes them the best!
Old 30th July 2019, 14:51   #26
BHPian

I learned so much at work about Toyota Production System. Its so simple, cost effective and error proof. Kudos
Old 3rd August 2019, 16:28   #27
BHPian

I'm a happy owner of a 2007 Innova that just clocked 150000km. Still feels like new - except that engine noise is slightly more than before. In last 3 years, it has done 60K km due to increased highway driving. I give it to Anaamalais Toyota in Coimbatore for 10k service and don't do 5k service. Been looking to buy a new car, but every time family and I use this car, feels like why take a chance and let this one go.
Old 4th August 2019, 16:00   #28
BHPian

The Liva is 5 years old this year. Been there done that with Toyota. I’ll not be goodie good about them. They did not change my suspension under warranty simply because I missed it by a day. Reason being my kid(doge) passed away. They didn’t give any extension even on humanitarian grounds.

Very recently I have been at it with the HO & my dealer. Asked them a simple question: Why don’t you guys allow a customer who is out of warranty to fill his choice of fluids when he comes for service? I spent the entire July yet no affirmative response from anyone. On the contrary I had to lodge a complaint for no response. Their social media teams have no clue to what’s being communicated on email! And vice versa. World no 1 in arrogance, YES!

The last reply I received from my dealer was that one has to seek management approval for filling engine oil, brake fluid or any such thing. Bull!

In the end, they’re all the same. There maybe a few exceptions which touch the heart and make the experience effortless. In my Livas lifespan, it’s been anything but that.
Old 4th August 2019, 16:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is yet to do anything constructive on spiral cable issues on Fortuner (so called premium SUVs).

The cost for that cable in parts is outrageous. If not for FREE atleast they should fix it at a reasonable cost. Same parts are available on AliExpress for 500 bucks, Toyota wants 12k for that.
tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 17:03   #30
BHPian

In my case, I found their express service quite useless! Meaning, in spite of making an appointment and reaching there ahead of time, I have never come out of the service center before 2-1/2 hrs. All services I have required so far have only been the regular maintenance kind.

Couple of times they have inflated the bills by adding some wash component. Didn't bother much with it though.

One difference I see between the western (US) Toyota service center and that in India - In India, you get the option to have them pickup the car from home/office. I have used that service only once. In the US, I have never seen them offer that service.

Additionally, in the US, they will provide an option to drop you off at your home/office and occasionally provide a car for the same.

Also, in the US I could go to the work area and interact with the mechanic. They'll typically have you wear a hard hat before entering the work area. In India, you only get to watch the work through those glass walls.

I do like the fact that there is seemingly no discrimination at the toyota service service centers - everyone shares the same waiting lounge, whether I take the camry or the liva, it's the same experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks