Team-BHP - Maruti plans to roll out new compact car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti plans to roll out new compact car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/21154-maruti-plans-roll-out-new-compact-car.html)

Buoyed by the growing market for compact cars globally, Maruti Udyog Limited (MUL) plans to roll-out its fourth compact car in India by 2008-09. The new car will be manufactured in association with Nissan at MUL's fourth plant set up at Manesar, Haryana and will cater to the domestic as well as international market.

Source : Maruti plans to roll out new compact car-India Business-NEWS-The Times of India

Yet another compact car? Come on Maruti....lets have a great C segment sedan first!

I dont think this news is correct. Maruti had plans to develop a small car jointly with Nissan but that agreement fell thru once Nissan opted to be part of the Renault Mahindra tie-up.

Maruti sure believes in putting all its eggs in the same basket. The difference being the eggs are unbreakable this time and reproduce by themselves. From a prestige PoV at least, Maruti should look outside across the fence once awhile and try to prove that they also have the mettle to succeed in sedans, cross-overs, performance editions and SUVs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 369647)
I dont think this news is correct. Maruti had plans to develop a small car jointly with Nissan but that agreement fell thru once Nissan opted to be part of the Renault Mahindra tie-up.

agree:

The news has no basis... The Nissan story is history, and i dont think these guys came to know of it...

how many small cars are then gonna introduce? 800, alto, wagon-r, estilo, swift. a 6th?

mods - please delete the above post. my internet disconnected and i refreshed the page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 369705)
agree:

The news has no basis... The Nissan story is history, and i dont think these guys came to know of it...

I believe a paper like TOI won't carry such news without making a background check. This was a prominent piece in the business news section

Maruti always believed in the funda that as long as the customer sticks with them, anything is fine. Overcrowding the small car portfolio is probably the way they foresee to provide the customer a greater variety within their own stable, rather than looking elsewhere.

However, Maruti should bring in their C segment entrant rather than risk losing customers from this segment.

Quote:

However, Maruti should bring in their C segment entrant rather than risk losing customers from this segment.
Very true. Where is the logical upgrade within the Suzuki family for say.....a Swift owner who wants to buy a C segment sedan.

Overcrowding. Maruti seems to have the wrong priorities - they're more worried about holding on to their share in existing segments than in creating a presence in other segments. Too defensive for a market leader.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 369647)

The news is partly correct as the agreement with Nissan to produce 50K cars exclusively for export still holds good and the cars are going to be based on the Splash concept (with Swift Underpinnings ) . The feasibility of collaborating on entering indian market is what fell through

Maruti is planning a new compact car because the 1.3 multijet will not fit the alto,wagonr or the zen

The next car will be either similar in size to Swift, powered by a 1.3 litre engine, or bigger. It will be difficult to install diesel engines on the smaller cars — Wagon R, Zen or Alto — since their weight and size warrant a bigger car, at least a compact.
The next diesel car from Maruti will most certainly have the same engine that drives that diesel Swift.

Domestic car market leader Maruti Udyog, which had till recently refrained from making a serious foray into the diesel-powered segment, foresees 20 per cent of its sales coming from such cars by 2010.

Source:
http://www.business-standard.com/com...o=276820&tab=r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 370111)
Too defensive for a market leader.

I'd rather say they are getting too aggressive / bullish on the segment.

From the marketing point of view, yes....the maruti small car strategy would have to be clearly defined to create a specific image for each car.

As for the customer, what could be better? The Alto and Wagon R are aging and the new generation of small cars starting with the Swift would be safer, more efficient and hopefully better designed.

please: Not again Marutiiiiiiiiiiiiii...... Even after being leading company, cant Maruti get a fine sedan which will compete with Corolla, Octavia n likes???

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport