Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2007, 11:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

It's funny, sad and insulting (for Fiat) all at the same time. Imagine, Maruti is going to manufacture Fiat engined Maruti-Suzuki cars under licence from them and outsell Fiat's month after month for years. Fiat has had the technology for years and couldn't leverage it to their advantage. Sad part is by the time the Grande Punto's and Linea's will be out with the muti-jet's and JTD's, the engines will not amaze anyone because there will be a number of Maruti's running about with those engines for years. Most Indians are not car lovers and most, probably, don't even know that currently the Swift DDis has a Fiat patented engine.

Fiat needs to remember this: Doesn't matter what technology you have, what matters is who brought it in first.

Last edited by amit : 8th February 2007 at 11:49.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This is turning out to be an era for diesels!
And sure enough Maruti has made sure they are ahead in that too.
Old 8th February 2007, 12:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Doesn't matter what technology you have, what matters is who brought it in first.
Very Rightly Said. Right on Dot !!!
Old 8th February 2007, 12:24   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Most Indians are not car lovers and most, probably, don't even know that currently the Swift DDis has a Fiat patented engine.
Absolutely right! Who knows that its Fiat technology? And since it is introduced by "Maruti" some time later if Fiat happens to come out with the same engine, it would be called a Maruti engine in a Fiat shell!
Old 8th February 2007, 12:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's funny, sad and insulting (for Fiat) all at the same time. Imagine, Maruti is going to manufacture Fiat engined Maruti-Suzuki cars under licence from them and outsell Fiat's month after month for years. Most Indians are not car lovers and most, probably, don't even know that currently the Swift DDis has a Fiat patented engine.

Fiat needs to remember this: Doesn't matter what technology you have, what matters is who brought it in first.
Well put Amit but look at it this way. Fiat will atleast make some money from the royalty that MUL will give it, if they sell their products on their own all they manage to do is lose money

They seriously need to redo everything in their company from top to bottom to make their current venture into anything resembling a successful organisation. And sort out the Service & Spares network big time.
Old 8th February 2007, 15:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

By the time Fiat brings out cars with diesel engines, we might get the next generation Honda diesels. Volkswagen too might have some great diesels. Fiat will be the same. Good potential no results. (Well Fiat, prove it wrong, we will be very happy)
Old 8th February 2007, 15:55   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well put Amit but look at it this way. Fiat will atleast make some money from the royalty that MUL will give it, if they sell their products on their own all they manage to do is lose money

They seriously need to redo everything in their company from top to bottom to make their current venture into anything resembling a successful organisation. And sort out the Service & Spares network big time.
I dont mean to question you..

But, As far as my humble knowledge goes, the engine was co-developed by FIAT and GM... And Suzuki also came in the deal then...

So, do they need to pay royalty???
Old 8th February 2007, 16:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I dont mean to question you..

But, As far as my humble knowledge goes, the engine was co-developed by FIAT and GM... And Suzuki also came in the deal then...

So, do they need to pay royalty???
Rights in the JTD series are held by FIAT and GM, not Suzuki.

Check this link:

JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Maruti/Suzuki have to pay royalty/license fees.

Suzuki's contribution to the failed alliance was the co-development of the Sedici/SX 4 platform in collaboration with FIAT.

Last edited by directinjection : 8th February 2007 at 16:15.
Old 9th February 2007, 01:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Fiats engines in Maruti's is indeed good news, to some extent better than, (dont murder me, I dont live in calcutta) Fiats engines in Fiats cars. Why?In this way you can enjoy the beauty of Fiat engines without even having to bother about finding a Fiat service station on your long drive to Ladakh.

Yeah you do miss the rest of the body though (this I said to save my skin on this forum).
Old 9th February 2007, 02:18   #25
BANNED

Oh. No!
Now it seems that Fiat is loosing their Fans too.
Old 17th October 2007, 13:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki's diesel engine plans seem to have undergone some modification.

According to original plans, the Manesar plant was to be Suzuki's sole diesel engine plant in the world but now they have decided to make diesel engines in Japan too. Also, they seem to have decided to make only JTD 1.3 in India while the bigger engines will be made in Japan.
So Maruti loses on exports and foreign exchange earnings.

Suzuki continues to treat its most important subsidiary in a step-motherly manner.

Check this:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2464972.cms
Old 17th October 2007, 14:13   #27
BHPian

cant we source this diesel engines from maruti and try with our local mechanics to fit into our Palios/Sienas (atleast the local mechanics seems to have better knowledge then FIAT India people)
Old 17th October 2007, 15:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

That my friend is the mechanism by which suzuki "extracts value" out of Maruti. Like how maruti paid so much for baleno back in late 90s.
Old 17th October 2007, 15:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Let every one move on to what they are best at. Eagerly waiting for a day when i can have the option of buying a car with suspension and engine by FIAT, interiors by Ford and GM and Service by Hyundai and Maruti.
Old 17th October 2007, 19:26   #30
BHPian

Everyone are now talking of FIAT multijet engine. AFAIK, it is a 2nd generation common-rail, where as FORD TDCI is a 3rd generation common-rail engine and the fact is that it FORD engine is one gem of a drivable, refined engine that is what I hear from everyone in this forum.

What is so fuss about this FIAT multijet engine which every one wants in there cars ?

Is it because, FORD does not license its engine to others or is the smallest common-rail (efficient, performance). The difference between FIAT and FORD engines are only 100 cc (FIAT - 1278cc or something, FORD - 1368CC) and BHP figures (75BHP to 68 BHP).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks