Team-BHP - Widest Range of FIAT Diesels - From Maruti-Suzuki
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Widest Range of FIAT Diesels - From Maruti-Suzuki (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/21157-widest-range-fiat-diesels-maruti-suzuki.html)

Maruti-Suzuki's diesel engine plans are quite ambitious and don't stop at 1.3 JTD that equips the just-launched Swift Diesel.

Much more is in store.

Next in line is the new Baleno whose diesel version will be equipped with the newest member of the JTD family - the 1.6.

Apart from that, through an agreement with FIAT signed in February 2006, Suzuki also has rights for license manufacture of 2.0 JTD (is it different from 1.9 JTD?). However, it seems its production will take place only by 2010.

The Manesar diesel engine plant which was formally inaugurated yesterday is going to be Suzuki's sole diesel engine plant in the world and the source of supply to Suzuki's plants worldwide including the vital one in Hungary where Suzuki cars for Europe (such an important diesel car market) are made.

JTD 1.3, 1.6 and 2.0. That's quite a range!

In contrast, Tata and FIAT have only announced plans for 1.3 JTD. The other engines they are planning to jointly manufacture at Ranjangaon are petrol ones from the FIRE family - the 1.2 and 1.4. No plans announced yet for JTD 1.6/1.9/2.0.

Exhibiting great foresight, Maruti-Suzuki, with no prior experience in diesels seem to have stolen the march over Tata-FIAT. What say?

Here are the various links:

GLOBAL SUZUKI
:: ITALIASPEED.COM ::
GLOBAL SUZUKI
Maruti to follow up Baleno’s exit with A3 platform recast -The Economic Times
Tata Motors - Media Centre

All I can say is - SHAME ON YOU FIAT! Maruti is stealing the march on Fiat with Fiat's engines- they have engineered the swift for the JTD and also set up the plant in record time. All this while Fiat cant even shift their plant from Mumbai to Ranjangaon.

With an attitude like this, I dont see any hope for Fiat in India- sad but true! As it is, Tata is the dominant partner in this relationship

When you're ahead of the class, it shows. It must be nice being Maruti just now

Time will tell. But as a Fiat lover, it is truly disappointing. But a big up for the Indian customer - he/she gets to access some world class engines.

Honestly, I think its very good news. Maruti has improved a lot in terms of build quality and finish and it shows in swift. If one can have a FIAT heart in the new Maruti cars, why not? Anyway, FIAT seems to be in a loop in trying to figure out what to do..
Ultimately the cars will be powered by one of the best and most advanced engines...so we stand to win!

New Baleno with 2.0 JTD? :Shockked: that would be awesome!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvish (Post 369687)
New Baleno with 2.0 JTD? :Shockked: that would be awesome!!

Actually, it's coming with 1.6 JTD. But with peak power at 120 BHP, it's more than adequate.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 369701)
Actually, it's coming with 1.6 JTD. But with peak power at 120 BHP, it's more than adequate.
Cheers!

:Cheering:

That'll blow the competition... Including Verna VGT and Fiesta TDCi...

Since Maruti builds the engines compared to the Verna engines that are brought in (Accent CRDi is built here, but Verna engines not yet localised)... They'll hopefully be able to meet the pricing...

Man! Diesel, or no diesel... 120 bhp is awesome... Any idea of the torque??? (Interested since Swift has 190Nm of tyre smoking torque)

120 BHP is impressive no doubt. There is no doubt that the Maruti pricing will be 'impressive' too. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 369701)

Cheers!

i wonder if tht would fit into a swift....plus if pete comes out with a chip for tht.....:Shockked::Shockked:

Hey guys,

Got this from a FIAT PDF file...

Quote:

Powertrain- 1.6 JTD
  • Build with focus on low-end torque output and fuel consumption...
  • 105 bhp with turbo
  • 120 bhp with VGT

Even if Maruti does cost cutting by offering a non- VGT, it could have 105bhp...
And a VGT top- end version would be even more welcome... lol:

Thoroughly disapointing .

As a Fiat (Enthusiast not Obsession-ist) lover Its very disheartening to see that others are walking away with glory when they are watching the game . Fiat always played like a substitute .

Have anyone driven the 1.4 Dicor of Indigo XL ? I drove it and its really great apart from the shoddy gearbox its quite resposive except for topend .

What am trying to say is that Diesel Engine standards of Manufacturer's are improving my leaps . In such a market 3 years down the lane say in 2010 we are going to drive the finest diesels around the world .

When they bring in JTD at that time (1.9/2.0...1.3 is already brought by Maruti ) its not going to stand out from the crowd like how Crdi/Cdi did in 2001 . When they had access to such marvellous technology in such early years (JTD 98 ? not sure) they should have brought it earlier .

I own a 1.7TD Sienna and its quite a performer , When I went and test drove the later model Petra 1.9D it outright sucks !!!!! compared to 1.7TD its a trash , not something any one would expect after 1,7TD .

Any way my respect for Fiat has come down to such a drastic level that I have started appreciating Hyundai ????... I just hope they change their gameplan and dump their Lethargic system of Management . After having a terrific small car lineup they should have no problem cracking the indian market provided they play it right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxbhp (Post 369939)
As a Fiat (Enthusiast not Obsession-ist) lover Its very disheartening to see that others are walking away with glory when they are watching the game .

Chill out max and all FIAT lovers!. Multi-jet is patented technology by FIAT. So, be sure that FIAT is still making money behind the scene

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 369707)
Since Maruti builds the engines compared to the Verna engines that are brought in (Accent CRDi is built here, but Verna engines not yet localised)... They'll hopefully be able to meet the pricing...

agree: . Also, let's not call these FIAT engines. Thease are manufactured by Suzuki/Maruti.

It's a shame Fiat is still struggling to launch the restyled Palio. I mailed their help desk but the standard reply of no comment. I wonder when will they learn.

A 2.0 JTD in the Baleno will be an absolute scorcher. I would love to see this happen.

This is turning out to be an era for diesels!

the coming years would belong to the diesel cars.. i read somewhere that for the first time ever, diesels outsold petrols in Europe in 2006... (dont remember the source..)