Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 15:36   #16
MMV
BHPian

Re: What is the future of the Toyota Etios / Liva?

I believe Etios and Liva, both can have an extended run. Etios (in current form and shape) has lot of takers in cab/taxi market across India. In fact it has all desired qualities, safety , space and reliability for mainstream taxi market. TASS is an added bonus.

A facelift version (interior specifically, along with AT options) can make it popular in family market. Especially considering the price differential with Yaris.
As far as Liva is concerned it needs facelift (interior and AT) with pricing. The tricky part is pricing vs Glanza, IMO it should be priced below Glanza.

The other key aspect is engine, current engine in Etios and Liva is dated, refinement and better tuning at least should be done.

Hope Toyota keeps these products relevant and not just solely rely on product sharing with MSIL
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 20:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Slightly , happened to notice a new Etios Liva pass by equipped with three (!) adjustable headrests for rear passengers with the rear middle passenger having a (pull down) 3 point seatbelt.
What is the future of the Toyota Etios / Liva?-img_20190809_210722.jpg

I cannot really think of any hatchback (barring the new XUV3OO) having this feature.It enrages and saddens me that such a feature is conveniently ignored by cars which sell by the thousands and get away with it

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 10th August 2019 at 21:13.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 23:43   #18
BHPian

Looks apart, the Etios twins are a reliable bunch, no nonsense, get it done type. If there aren't any major issues, you might want to keep them.

I have a Figo which has done 1.46 lakh kms, absolutely no problems, I have no plans to replace it till it becomes unreliable, remapped it as well to makes things better.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 01:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Looks apart, the Etios twins are a reliable bunch, no nonsense, get it done type. If there aren't any major issues, you might want to keep them.

I have a Figo which has done 1.46 lakh kms, absolutely no problems, I have no plans to replace it till it becomes unreliable, remapped it as well to makes things better.
My car has no issues, excepting that the tyres need retirement. But that my car doesn't have the front airbags bugs me and that's the main reason for seeking a replacement.
Old 11th August 2019, 10:37   #20
BHPian

The Taxi segment in India don't have a good sedan like Etios. Dzire Tour is there. When it comes to comfort, boot space, safety and reliability, then Etios is the king. Although few niggles reported about the oil levels in diesel Etios, there was not much noise around it.

I would gladly take the 1.5 Petrol Etios if they put the Glanza interiors to it. Top end Petrol model is under 10 lakhs and it is as spacious as a Honda city if not more. Ride and handling is neutral but the engine is so smooth. To a certain extent, I prefer function over form. But not with the current interiors.
Old 11th August 2019, 11:01   #21
BHPian

Any idea whether Toyota is working on upgrading the current engines to BSVI? They may scrap quoting these engines are not BSVI ready.

If your concern is only on maintenance then there are no worries. But if your concern is about safety (which should be high on cards) then replace it with the same new car.

IMO Etios and Liva are capable cars and they have ~2500 combined copies of sales every month. When introduced Etios was a competition for City, SX4 and Verna. It sent shivers during its first year of introduction. Toyota quoted it as a India specific car and never gave the required exterior and interior updates.
Old 13th August 2019, 19:31   #22
BHPian

The Liva GX at about 6.3 lakhs, on-road Delhi offers:
1. Great service and reliability.
2. A very spacious and comfortable cabin.
3. A decently sized boot.
4. Neutral ride and handling.
5. Reasonably good performance and high fuel efficiency.
6. Most importantly, a stable body structure, loads of safety kit and a 4 star global NCAP rating.
Almost no car offers such a comprehensive package at this price.
It would have been the perfect car at this price, if it also had some bling features and a newer design, which Toyota can easily incorporate, So I see no reason why they should discontinue it.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

They modified Brazil variant in 2016 with better looking dashboard and interior but decided not to do the same for Indian market. They also offer automatic variant there.

Pic source: IAB
Attached Thumbnails
What is the future of the Toyota Etios / Liva?-etios1.jpg  

What is the future of the Toyota Etios / Liva?-etios2.jpg  

Latheesh is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 12:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
They modified Brazil variant in 2016 with better looking dashboard and interior but decided not to do the same for Indian market. They also offer automatic variant there.

Pic source: IAB
Still the AC controls are so hopeless and ugly. Why they don't just fix the Yaris one to the Etios twins?
Old 29th September 2019, 01:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Still the AC controls are so hopeless and ugly. Why they don't just fix the Yaris one to the Etios twins?
Do you want a AC or a lovely LOOK?
Etios/Liva AC works beautifully, and there's no loss of power. Isn't that a delight?

As they said, LOOK is in the eyes of the beholder. :P

Last edited by subratasenn : 29th September 2019 at 01:09.
Old 29th September 2019, 02:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

The 1.5P engine might see a BS6 upgrade, since its also doing duty in Yaris. Its unlikely Toyota would get the 1.4D upgraded the same way, its doing measly volumes by Toyota's standards.

Given this Etios twins would likely sunset in 2020. For the disastrous start it had, its surprising the twins have sustained a decade. What they did in 2014 is what should have been done in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
I have no complaints. But it's time to go for a new car
Why do you want to change? Toyota sunsetting the model isn't an excuse, there will be support for sometime to come (I still see Qualis from time to time). If you wanted to change you should go ahead anyway, not worry about Toyota's business decisions.
Old 29th September 2019, 07:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Do you want a AC or a lovely LOOK?
Etios/Liva AC works beautifully, and there's no loss of power. Isn't that a delight?

As they said, LOOK is in the eyes of the beholder. :P
It is an eye sore to most unless one is a Toyota Fan Boy.

Spending 10+ lakhs and you get the base variants like features is not to anyone's liking. Probably Toyota should keep their arrogance aside and find a mid way to where others are functioning.
Old 29th September 2019, 11:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Why do you want to change? Toyota sunsetting the model isn't an excuse, there will be support for sometime to come (I still see Qualis from time to time). If you wanted to change you should go ahead anyway, not worry about Toyota's business decisions.
If it had airbags I would have gladly retained my car.
Old 17th November 2019, 19:03   #29
BHPian

Hi,
I called up couple of Toyota dealers recently to inquire about Etios Petrol. In a nutshell, its not available. They don’t take a booking for it either. Wonder what could be the reason.
This has forced me to start looking for a pre-owned “Platinum” Etios. No luck in that either as most listed cars are either Diesel or 2011-12 make.

Could be the BSVI upgrade, cannot say for sure.
Old 17th November 2019, 19:48   #30
BHPian

These may not be the best looking cars in the market, but behind those dated looks lie a very safe, sensible and practical car.
I wish the Toyota designers were a little aware when they were designing this car, or it could've been a runaway success.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks