Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 12:06   #1
BHPian

What is the future of the Toyota Etios / Liva?

My Toyota Liva GD is seven years old now. Runs perfectly at 90k+ and frankly speaking I have no complaints. But it's time to go for a new car and with Toyota experience for seven years, I would prefer to stick to Toyota. I would prefer a no-nonsense hatch like Liva, because that suits my budget.

Have seen the launch of Glanza, a rebadged Baleno for sure, and right now that's my only option right now from Toyota if I want to future-proof my new car.

But whatever is happening to Etios/Liva? Will it continue with an updated model, or will it be discontinued? There seems to be contradictory reports.

In February, there were reports that Etios/Liva are getting major upgrades.

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...ch-027513.html

With the Glanza launched, there are reports that while Toyota will be launching 12 cars in various segments in the next five years, it's end of life for Etios/Liva in April 2020.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/69834697.cms

Anyone having any idea about what is happening?
subratasenn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 13:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: What is the future of the Toyota Etios / Liva?

From the looks of it, seems that Toyota will completely quit making their own smaller cars, and instead, use Maruti Suzuki rebadged one's.
They would rather prefer to concentrate on the more lucrative MPV segment.

So it does seem to be end of road for the Etios twins, as Toyota, as I read somewhere but cannot find the link now, has shelved its plans to upgrade its small petrol engines to BS VI.

But you shouldn't worry. There are enough on the road already to warrant adequate supply of spares for few years to come, at the very least.
vinit.merchant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 13:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Liva is a difficult car to replace if you have gotten used to its quirks.

The combination of Space, Fuel efficiency, reliability, low service cost and decent safety is rare. I actually cant think of any car except the i20 which offers most of the above (which is priced very very premium).

I would say upgrade the car for interiors, like a good HU, lighting, etc and stay entertained as a replacement will cost a LOT of money.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 14:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
My Toyota Liva GD is seven years old now. Runs perfectly at 90k+ and frankly speaking I have no complaints. But it's time to go for a new car and with Toyota experience for seven years, I would prefer to stick to Toyota. I would prefer a no-nonsense hatch like Liva, because that suits my budget.
I am exactly in the same situation as you! Mine completed 7.5 years and has clocked 105000kms on odo. This car meets all my requirements (diesel, space, FE, Toyota service, etc) and the only thing I am missing in my car is airbags. I was stupid at that time not to buy an airbag variant. If I had done that, i would not have faced the current situation that I am in!

Somehow, I do not want to move away from Toyota (having experienced their service) and I don't like Sedan.

So, looking at the current options (and also considering the absurd price of some of the cars, considering that I had paid 6.83l for my car in 2012), I may as well replace my car with Liva again (with airbag variant)!
kavensri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 14:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post

So, looking at the current options (and also considering the absurd price of some of the cars, considering that I had paid 6.83l for my car in 2012), I may as well replace my car with Liva again (with airbag variant)!
That's exactly my plan, provided Toyota does not discontinue the Etios twins.
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 18:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Things are not yet clear. The cab market do look for the Etios diesel. Plus a similar petrol engine is doing it's duty in the Yaris. So if Toyota want, they can definitely tweak it for BSVI.

If your car is running fuss free, then I will suggest you to hold on your next purchase for one more year and then go for a new car. 7 years and 90k is nothing for a Liva. My Etios petrol is now 8 years old with 92k on the odo. It's running as good as new. So am not even contemplating to change the car.

By next one year, you can get a clear picture on what Toyota is planning to do. Till now there is no official statement from Toyota whether they will bring the updated Etios/Liva or they will put an end to the production of the Etios twins.

My hunch is Toyota may continue with the Etios as the Yaris is a market flop. Innova was an instant hit, so without a second thought they stopped the production of Qualis but here the case is different.

If you are looking to buy one right now, I will suggest you the Glanza, instead of the Liva.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 18:54   #7
BHPian

Going by Yaris sales, Toyota should think of the future of Yaris

Etios continues to sell decent numbers, probably better than a few small and sub 4m compact sedans. So i believe they won't want to lose the cab market where they have a presence.

But going by their "take India market for granted attitude" you never know what lies in the box.

Last edited by GTO : 30th July 2019 at 08:38. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
peus017 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th July 2019, 08:47   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What is the future of the Toyota Etios / Liva?

If we were to look at the situation pragmatically:

1. The Liva & Etios felt old at the time of launch and feel terribly outdated today.

2. The Liva has been a flop and sells just 600 - 1100 units / month. The Etios has just enough volumes to justify keeping the model alive @ ~1,600 sales / month.

3. These outdated cars really don't suit brand Toyota's image.

On the one hand, I'd say it makes sense to let them RIP. On the other, they do add sales & market-share to Toyota India as the Yaris has flopped and all their other cars (except Glanza) are expensive.

IMHO, the twins as we know it will be replaced in a year or two. Toyota will either heavily upgrade the existing cars design-wise (as their fundamentals are strong) or bring in a more modern line-up from its international portfolio (less likely as it'll take a lot of willpower for Toyota to bring a modern hatchback here).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
By next one year, you can get a clear picture on what Toyota is planning to do. Till now there is no official statement from Toyota whether they will bring the updated Etios/Liva or they will put an end to the production of the Etios twins.

My hunch is Toyota may continue with the Etios as the Yaris is a market flop. Innova was an instant hit, so without a second thought they stopped the production of Qualis but here the case is different.
There was an official word from Toyota (TKM MD) Masakazu Yoshimura in February this year. In an interview to Economic Times, he said:

"We have many options — Daihatsu, Suzuki, Subaru, Toyota… We will be able to offer something very unique. We want to explore how we leverage all the four global brands and offer something unique for the Indian market, a solution that can also have a global potential. We are looking at upgrading the Etios and Liva along with a smaller car solution.

The future of India is its young people. We have to be very active, we are looking (for a presence) at 70% of the market (cars costing less than ?10 lakh), and we are thinking what we can do. The aim is not just on selling, but delivering on what our consumers want and what is good for them. Our current products are highly priced; our focus is to reduce the cost. In Japan, we like to say we are squeezing a very dry towel. That is the only way we can be more accessible."

Here is the link to the interview, where Yoshimura spells out Toyota's other small car options:

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...imura/67749204

I hope Toyota still stands by this. If they continue with Etios twins they'll have to do it by April 2020. I am prepared to wait till then.
subratasenn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 08:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Etios maybe a very reliable machine but the template is a couple of decades old and it maybe good for Toyota brand to get rid of them. Ideal scenario would have been to have the Yaris sedan/hatchback to fill that space but with Yaris sedan a dud and Glanza in the hatchback space, I don’t expect to see Toyota playing with their own models in that space.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 08:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Toyota knows that the Etios/Liva cars are selling solely on the reliability and great ASS notion. The products themselves have little to offer in 2019.
If the understanding with Maruti works, they might as-well brand small Maruti as Toyotas and do well with it rather than investing in their own small car.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Toyota knows that the Etios/Liva cars are selling solely on the reliability and great ASS notion. The products themselves have little to offer in 2019.
If the understanding with Maruti works, they might as-well brand small Maruti as Toyotas and do well with it rather than investing in their own small car.
Toyota ASS is not a notion, it is a reality.

Toyota doesn't have any understanding with Maruti, it's with Suzuki. The understanding is worldwide, not India-centric.
subratasenn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 21:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly my plan, provided Toyota does not discontinue the Etios twins.
Even if Toyota discontinues Liva you shouldn't be worried. Even Qualis owners are not dissatisfied with spares and service in this age and time. Fret not about discontinuation if you like the car buy it.

Last edited by gauravanekar : 9th August 2019 at 21:32.
gauravanekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 23:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But whatever is happening to Etios/Liva? Will it continue with an updated model, or will it be discontinued? There seems to be contradictory reports.
I doubt that Liva and Etios are going to get a new generation considering their lack luster sales performance. A lesson Toyota learnt the hard way. Your best bet is Glanza if you want to stick to the Toyota brand. It is a good car, though not a Toyota in design.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 09:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I doubt that Liva and Etios are going to get a new generation considering their lack luster sales performance. A lesson Toyota learnt the hard way. Your best bet is Glanza if you want to stick to the Toyota brand. It is a good car, though not a Toyota in design.
Probably that's what I'll be doing if they don't upgrade the cars. What I miss in my first generation Liva is absence of airbags, nothing else.

Regarding lack-lustre sales performance, only Toyota can take a decision. But looking at figures through 2019, I am a bit surprised. Liva sells more than the total car sales of Datsun and Nissan (leaving aside Fiat altogether). Liva sells more than Ford Figo, Tata Bolt, Tigor and Zest. Etios+Liva sell more than Ameo+Polo every month.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks