Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 12:44   #1
BHPian

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh

The new 2019 @Porsche_India #Macan has been launched in India at Rs 69.98 lakh (ex-showroom).

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-screenshot_20190729130814_twitter.jpg

It's here. The new Porsche Macan - adventure, adrenaline and class.

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-screenshot_20190729132426_twitter.jpg
#ChooseThrilling
#Porsche #PorscheIndia
https://t.co/5jfWZWEFIx

The 2019 Macan is vailable in two variants in India -- Macan and Macan S.
The Macan S comes with a 3.0-litre twin turbo V6 unit while the standard Macan will come with a 2.0-litre turbocharged 4-cylinder unit.
Both engines come mated to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission and AWD

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-screenshot_20190729131545_twitter.jpg

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-screenshot_20190729131636_twitter.jpg

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-screenshot_20190729131620_twitter.jpg

Tweets
https://t.co/OfUaOIfB5J
https://t.co/evEWqxW0Le

Last edited by JS Kwt : 29th July 2019 at 12:56.
JS Kwt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh

I recently got a chance to drive and sort of help my friend here in Canada to choose one for his teenage son. The earlier generation was available at around 15 % off just like India. Even though Dealers say both the cars have same engine and suspension, I found newer one is more supple and even more responsive. Interiors on the new one are better too and it gets LED, Car play and some other features standard which were optional before.

However, 4 Cylinder does not do justice even with Sports exhausts/ Chrono package especially given the high prices here, Six cylinder is the one to pick if someone is sold out on the Porsche badge. For some reasons, I never got any excited with Macan, neither new nor the old one, even the new Cayenne feels so normal. I think, others like BMW, LR, MB have upped the game and Porsche cannot sell just because of exclusivity, which In our country comes with additional baggage as well. Despite being in India for over 10 Years, they still have around 4-5 Dealers across the country and you are heavily dependent on the local dealer. If I need a Porsche, I will stick with Boxter range or sell some organ and pick new 911

Some worthy competitors at that price range can be the New Evoque, Velar or even X5.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Note that the pricing was lowered by removing many features. I think the current / just launched Macan facelift is devoid of air suspension and sunroof. The price does not come down by generosity, especially with Porsche. It is at the cost of something - always some features get removed and then this magic happens.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

What a hideous looking car. And now, a complimenting color to go with that unsightly body.
It is very well engineered though and has superb quality inside out. Have also heard it to be very competent on the bends. The 4 cylinder Golf GTi derived engine is a bummer and oh the way it looks or lack of it.
Old 4th August 2019, 08:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Note that the pricing was lowered by removing many features. I think the current / just launched Macan facelift is devoid of air suspension and sunroof. The price does not come down by generosity, especially with Porsche. It is at the cost of something - always some features get removed and then this magic happens.
This information was bang on!

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-0.jpg

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 09:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh

Reverse camera optioned in a car costing 1cr on road.:

First aid kit as an option?:

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 4th August 2019 at 09:22.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 13:50   #7
BHPian

The “optionals” in Porsche are a known fact but reading through the list can only say they have reached notorious levels. One gets pretty much a basic vehicle even at 82L.
Old 4th August 2019, 14:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

90,000 bucks for logistics. Additional 10 lakhs for the optional packages. So the 69.98 lakhs is more like a hogwash.

Manufacturers find innovative ways to price the products to create perception.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 12:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

Folks, a lot of stick has been given about the Macan. Yes, it looks boring in basic spec. The right combination of colours, wheels and engine, can make it from real frumpy to a true flapper! Most UK cars are specced more tastefully compared to what we get here.

I managed to spend a dirty weekend with one, so here goes!

What You Will Like
  • Brilliant Chassis
  • Driving Position is spot on
  • Well Finished
  • Clear Instruments
  • Lovely Stereo
  • PDK Box is flawless
  • Ideal size

What You Will Not
  • 2.0 engine barely scratches the surface of the chassis’s ability
  • Bit of a button fest inside
  • All driving aid related buttons are on the wrong side
  • Ride is a bit sharp on 21 inchers despite Air Suspension

For my recent trip to the UK starting in Manchester, I was planning to

1: Hire a car for the duration
2: Borrow my nephews VW UP to do a couple of trips into the Midlands and Yorkshire, then hire a car to go to London
3: Something else?

A quick WhatsApp to my cousin, a few weeks ahead!

Quote:
“Can I borrow the UP while I’m there? Otherwise, I will book a car?”

“Sure, the UP is there but if you are off to the Midlands, (300 miles roundtrip!) take the other car”

“Ok, I’ll take the other car”, (the other “other car” was a Tesla S!)

“Cool, please give me your UK DL licence in order to sort out the insurance” (old man + clean UK licence )”
Had been expecting a 3 year old Cayenne when I landed on a midsummers day and found myself with its recent replacement - The Macan!!
2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-img_5025.jpg

So down to business. Sorry, few pics as my hands were full visiting old flames and old friends, so here’s my dirty weekend with a Macan in a nutshell! This is a quick, shoot from the hip review, not a workshop manual!
2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-img_5051.jpg

In dark colours, I loved the stealth with just the right curves without any unnecessary piercings! Add a bit of mud wrestling and it has that sinister air of mystery about it.

Yes, it has the old Q5 silhouette, but it looks almost the same as the new Q5. However, this ain’t an Audi in a tight leather skirt. The engine sits much lower and longitudinally. It’s something more than a silicone addition!

The size is ideal, it’s easy to place, can be sporty without trying hard. Found the electric tailgate a bit unnecessary though.

Interiors

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-img_5023.jpg

Four sit in comfort, enough to take 5 out for a night on the town in Manchester. Never got to sit in the back. I set a low driving position and did not feel as if I was “on top” of the Macan, instead, felt as if we were side by side getting to know each other without anyone domineering. Settle in, her optional comfort pack meant that I could tickle the knobs and her leather (vegans, look away!) embrace will mould you into her from tailbone to upper thigh.

The instruments are spot-on, you don’t have to sense or listen to any moans, watch the instrument faces and you know where you are. You have all the information you need. Simply scroll the steering thumbwheel and you get a choice of the Map, direction, tyre pressure, additional engine parameters, all at a glance and flick.

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-img_5049.jpg

Navigation is easy to set, and the Bose DAB stereo is spot on. Am not the usual domineering Bose guy, but the bass was firm to a slap and the mid-range was adequately stacked.

As your eyes move lower down, (actually, a little lower, at the console!), you note that like many of god’s blessed creations, the right and the left are not always in symmetry. Normally, one would celebrate the difference, but all the driver aid buttons were quite a fumble away (shortchanged RHD conversion!). Would take a couple of years of marriage to master the buttons by mere feel!

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-img_5062.jpg

If you look up, more buttons are staring at you, however, the sunroof with is in a pretty intutive place

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-img_5058.jpg

As my travel was planned over a mixture of fast country roads, the motorway and a little bit of town driving, I would be getting unfamiliarly familiar as we get going.

On the Road

Fire her up. Like most overendowed turbo engines, the note is a bit flat. Switch off Stop/Start device. Always on, full on action for me!

Slip her into Drive and off we go. The Macan was easy to get on with, it was bit like as if we had met at a wild party 10 years ago and were picking up from where we left.

The journey stated on the speed camera infested A56 Road. Darned speed cameras spoil the fun. I made up for this with braking late into roundabouts and pulling out hard into the curve and then hitting the exit. Also do this when entering motorways. The Macan overcomes fast corners were overcome with a slight roll, while her leather midriff merely firm on my kidney. Alas, that 242bhp engine, which does wonders in the Golf R, is not that suited for an SUV, I get into the curve and then find the power to pull through is just about adequate.

As I hit the M6 motorway, the air-suspension felt slightly floaty, this was amplified by the 21” wheels. I fumbled a button, the Macan hunkers down as the suspension lowers itself. (I don’t think my cousin knew about this!), stab the Sport button and “now we are talking”. It feels tight and composed and cruises well. The PDK makes up for the power deficit and ensures you can accelerate and overtake when required.

We hum away towards the upper tolerance of the speed limit but some horrible slowdowns due to the road works come up. Speeds need to reduce to 50mph. They used average speed cameras on these stretches, so we need to be careful. These slowdowns are boring and monotonous. Sometimes, you are tempted to accelerate for the heck of it!

I fumble below and find the tiny cruise control. Like many small sensitive things below, it seems to do a lot. Set it to active cruise and the radars kick in. I don’t have to worry about the varying speeds due to road works. I just need to keep hands on the wheel. Most sensitive machinry prefer that!

The lane departure warning also activates, it did not take control, it merely warns you. Cross the line without indicating and the car makes a weird faint gagging or rather a gargling sound, as if trying to tell, don’t like it but I’ll do it with you!

From the M6, I switched to the M5, the curves are fast, no roadworks, empty road and you can go fast, stab Sport Plus and hoo boy, the Macan just takes them with consummate ease, the 242BHP engine merely powers you. A Turbo or even a Macan S would make you feel rather consummated. A few junctions later, it’s time to get of the M5 onto the A456

The A456 passes through some small towns but has some unbeatable roads. I used to thrash my Peugeot on these roads. Alas, to castrate some of us keen drivers, the authorities have made some of these roads into a single lane to deter overtaking. Luckily, the road was empty. Driving legally in Sport Plus, the steering is aggressive to inputs, the gears change hard but it’s a bit of an anticlimax, the car merely steers through with flat torque curve and lacked the “on the edge” sensation. The Macan just does it. More power would at least allow one to push harder within legal limits.

However, with a smaller lump up front, you are amazed how direct and accurate the steering was for an SUV. All you needed to do was think and the Macan was in position. All that was lacking was some raw power to properly throttle steer! The Macan handles challenging roads with ease. The PASM is an astounding piece of kit. Compared to other SUV’s, the older Cayenne does well but with a lot of disguised effort. Having used an X5 on the same route, it performs well but, you feel the tri-war between Continental, Bilstein and gravity.

The transmission was faultless, delivered the right ratios just like how Swiggy delivers, on time while keeping the Macan in awarm and tasty spot.

Reached my destination - Driving up to my old “Uru” in a Macan was quite an entrance. My own sister could barely manage a Corsa. The Macan in rural UK stood out unlike the rich cities.

The journey back was more of the same. The next day, I took it into the Yorkshire Dales to meet an old classmate. I did not really push it as my idea of fun was with a warm Macan and not with a wayward sheep. However, while driving it on the M62 on top of the Pennines, downhill at the highest point with strong crosswinds and heavy rain, the Macan remained unfazed!

300 miles and 80 quid of fuel later, it was time to say bye. I liked her a lot but if she had two more cylinders and a bit more deeper breathing, I would love her forever!

Last edited by ajmat : 21st December 2019 at 01:25. Reason: typos
ajmat is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 15:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

Well, Porsche always sells options as standalone or a part of a package world over. In the Indian market, given the fact that it's a new launch, they have not yet offered anything with optional packs which would have made it little competitive. Expect corrections in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What You Will Like
[*]Ideal size
Even though the size is nice and gives you a sportier feel, Rear Seat is Very - Very Upright. Not at all comfortable for Adult to travel more than an hour perhaps.

Quote:
What You Will Not

[*]2.0 engine barely scratches the surface of the chassis’s ability
[*]Ride is a bit sharp on 21 inchers despite Air Suspension
Correct, 6 cylinder is what one should order. Even with 20 inches, I found Air-Suspension hardly helping as there is virtually no body roll on the standard. But in India, Air Suspension might help in soaking the bumps and potholes

Quote:
For my recent trip to the UK. After landing in Manchester, I was planning to

1: Hire a car for the duration

“Ok, I’ll take the other car”, (the other “other car” was a Tesla S!)
Please don't tell me that you sacrificed Tesla S for this Macan
From my recent experience with Macan, Etron, Tesla on back to back days, I strongly believe, Tesla is something at a different level. Everyone else is a couple of Years behind.

Quote:
it has the old Q5 silhouette, but it looks almost the same as the new Q5.

Wait until you see the new Etron. I am expecting newer Q5 to have interiors similar and these are absolutely gorgeous.

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-whatsapp-image-20190805-3.31.34-pm.jpeg

Quote:
The lane departure warning also activates, it did not take control, it merely warns you.
I think they also offer the Lane Assist feature, which will keep the car in the lanes. Either way, pointless for us.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th August 2019 at 15:39.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 17:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Please don't tell me that you sacrificed Tesla S for this Macan
From my recent experience with Macan, Etron, Tesla on back to back days, I strongly believe, Tesla is something at a different level. Everyone else is a couple of Years behind.

Wait until you see the new Etron. I am expecting newer Q5 to have interiors similar and these are absolutely gorgeous.

I think they also offer the Lane Assist feature, which will keep the car in the lanes. Either way, pointless for us.
Glad that your findings concurred.

The Macan is based on the older pre MQB platform so most of the fancy electronic architecture will not make it until the next Macan due maybe in a couple of years, I guess. Too much attention now on the Taycan and hybridising the rest.

I did not have the option of the Tesla, I merely took what was given.

Last edited by ajmat : 5th August 2019 at 21:12.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 10:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I managed to spend a dirty weekend with one, so here goes!
Throughout the review, I'd to keep reminding myself that we're talking about a car here.
superbad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 18:53   #13
BHPian

Enjoyed the crisp write-up of your experience with the Macan. Having lived with the car for 9,000 kms now and counting, I would tend to agree with most of your observations.

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-whatsapp-image-20190806-18.31.302.jpeg

I find the car to be a looker, probably the best compact SUV available this side of Levante, and the 2.0L just perfectly adequate for the Indian roads. Of course, having the sports chrono package helps, in the times when you have the adrenaline rush. When I want crazy stuff, there's the Scrambler to fall back upon. As for the buttons, I have made great peace with them and find it to be far more convenient than the finicky controls of Lexus NX300 that I used to drive before this.

2019 Porsche Macan facelift launched at Rs 69.98 lakh-whatsapp-image-20190806-18.31.30.jpeg

The car's a pocket rocket, pleasantly unique in India, can blow off most cars in this league with its dynamics and PDK transmission, sound sweet and have a few party tricks up its sleeve like the air suspension, etc.

A review is long due, and is WIP. Hopefully, soon!
mathranik is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 11:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

When Porsche offered me the Macan for a drive, I politely declined for three reasons. Firstly it was a SUV, secondly it had a relatively underpowered engine and thirdly I had the choice of the 718 and a 911.

On their repeated insistence I gave it a go. My drive confirmed the weak engine bit especially after a drive with the other Porsche's but the non resemblance to standard SUV behaviour was a breath of fresh air. However there was no denying that you sat on the Macan rather than in it. Surprisingly it handled almost car like except for that seating position.

When compared with the rest of the Porsche gang, the Macan 2.0 is probably the most tame. I am politely omitting the equivalent rhyme.

I guess Porsche had to make a car that would appeal to the not-so-skilled driver who could floor the accelerator without worrying too much about his ability to control the car at V Max levels.

The Macan is a very forgiving car. And it will never scare you. Porsche did need at least one car that fell into this category.

It almost makes you wonder if they got the formula wrong. It's been targeted at those who would lust for an A4 with a 1.4 TSI engine.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th February 2020 at 04:23. Reason: Corrected typo -> Breadth to breath
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 12:37   #15

Hi everyone! Need some advice on a strange behaviour I’ve been observing with my Macan. It’s 2017 R4 and has done about 23000 kms. All tires have some wear but the front ones show uneven wear. I was driving on the Mumbai-Pune expressway a couple of weeks ago in moderate rains, and almost every time the car went over a patch of water, it pulled in one direction and lost control. It happened some 6-7 times through the entire trip and at speeds above 90 kmph. On one occasion, the loss of control was so severe that the steering locked up completely, but thankfully the car regained control.

I took it to the service Center where they did some alignment and suspension normalisation. I drove the car to Pune yesterday and experienced a similar behaviour again - only this time the intensity was lower but I could clearly feel the car losing composure.

Now, some bit of aquaplaning is understandable, but losing control the way it did seems quite odd to me and I‘ve been really struggling with Porsche service through 3 years of ownership.

Welcome any thoughts on what I could possibly look into. Tires is one area I can think of but not sure if replacing them will solve the problem.

Most Viewed