Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 14:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK the only difference between biodiesel and normal diesel is its corrosive nature for Rubber. Hence for bio diesel one needs to strengthen the fuel lines and other such robber hoses that come in contact with the fuel.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:40   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The article say that running on Jatropha Bio Diesel would cost An addtional Rs. 2 per litre over normal diesel cars"? That would make bio diesel expensive, so people do this just for the environment?

Or is that a misquote.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The article say that running on Jatropha Bio Diesel would cost An addtional Rs. 2 per litre over normal diesel cars"? That would make bio diesel expensive, so people do this just for the environment?

Or is that a misquote.
hmmm! I think the price comparison is with the retail cost of the normal diesel. If our government passes on the subsidy to bio-diesel as well, the price would be lower than the normal diesel(can any one please mention the subsidy on normal diesel??). Also not to forget the saved $$ due to reduction in import of petroleum(??). Oh! I forgot about the price fluctuations of the crude!!
Old 9th October 2009, 15:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

The problem with plant based bio fuels is that they create an additional burden on the agricultural system and sourcing the fuel is more expensive than petroleum based fuels.
The bio fuel plants can be cultivated on barren land, but this alone is not enough to feed the demand. Our agricultural sector is aldready lagging behind to fulfill the needs of the food industry, and its basic structure is light years behind.
Farmers are struggling to make ends meet and if bio fuel crops prove to be more lucrative, it will easily take away focus from food crops which is what the nation desperately needs.
Even from an environmental perspective the energy, manpower and processing costs required to make bio fuel are far greater than petroleum based fuels.
Mahindra should be congratulated on engineering their diesel engine to run on bio diesel, but I think the focus should be on other alternatives like Hybrids or Fuel Cells.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:25   #35
sandeep sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Great initiative but the statement India's first commercial car to run on 100% Bio-Diesel may not be true.

Mercedes Benz did that few years ago here.

Well I would not say that your wrong at this part but i think you need to read the main article once more coz it says (INDIA's FIRST COMMERCIAL CAR) and merc is not an Indian Car maker.

Old 9th October 2009, 16:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hold on, I have seen a Safari in Chennai running around Anna nagar with a sticker at back saying - Running on Bio-Diesel.

Ofcourse, I did not confirm with him if he really meant that. Any guys in chennai seen this? Remember seeing it around a year back.
Old 9th October 2009, 17:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Hold on, I have seen a Safari in Chennai running around Anna nagar with a sticker at back saying - Running on Bio-Diesel....
I have a seen a Tata Indigo in 2007 running on 100% bio-diesel. Infact it had huge vinyl stickers on it claiming the same and some phone number to get more info.
Old 9th October 2009, 17:53   #38
BHPian

BIO diesels could be the future of auto-fuels worldover.
I have seen many school buses / water tankers running on bio-diesel in Pune(anybody in Pimpri could confirm). Govt. needs to support such initiatives by making available the necessary infrastructure and funding for such projects to be viable and commercial success. Kuodos to the Ratees. Lets hppe for a Greener tomorrow.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:52   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
hmmm! I think the price comparison is with the retail cost of the normal diesel. If our government passes on the subsidy to bio-diesel as well, the price would be lower than the normal diesel(can any one please mention the subsidy on normal diesel??). Also not to forget the saved $$ due to reduction in import of petroleum(??). Oh! I forgot about the price fluctuations of the crude!!
got the point, well while the imbalance exists the India can forget about bio diesel. All alternative fuels that sell necessarily need to be cheaper as well in a market like ours.

Most Viewed