Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2007, 18:50   #1
BHPian

M&M flags off biodiesel / hybrid Scorpio, Bolero DI

Pioneering the user of alternate fuels in India, Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) today unveiled the bio-diesel Scorpio and Bolero DI vehicles for 100% real world usage trials.

The Scorpio with indigenously developed CRDE technology is the first Asian vehicle in its class to run on 100% bio-diesel. M&M also unveiled a 5% bio-diesel tractor.

Source : http://business-standard.com/common/...N&autono=20399
Old 7th February 2007, 20:12   #2
BHPian

Good News...How fast do you reckon we can see these on the road?
Old 7th February 2007, 23:45   #3
BHPian

Mahindra seems to be quite involved in the alternative fuels development, with their Scorpio hybrid, and now this, the bio-diesel Scorpio.

It is nice to see an Indian Manufacturer take concrete steps to bring such vehicles into the market place....hopefully our govt will lend them a helping hand by way of tax cuts/exemptions on such initiatives.
Old 8th February 2007, 00:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

100% BD?!! Hmmm... now that sounds like some serious business. Best of them run on 40%. What is "real world trials"? Hope they are not trying to make guinea pigs out of their customers.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:58   #5
BHPian

Wow! THis is great from M&M. When do these come on the road. I am waiting for the new Scorpio. Does anyone have news when its out?
The hybrid Scorpio sounds interesting. Hope they launch it soon too.
Old 8th February 2007, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Haven't they launched the Scorpio bio-diesel for regular sales? Which fuel pumps sell bio-diesels? And what happened to the Mercedes bio-diesel project. They have had a C class running on bio-diesel for years now.
Old 8th February 2007, 12:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Haven't they launched the Scorpio bio-diesel for regular sales? Which fuel pumps sell bio-diesels? And what happened to the Mercedes bio-diesel project. They have had a C class running on bio-diesel for years now.
may be they run the car for a million kms for testing purposes
Old 8th February 2007, 12:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

We really should applaud M&M for taking the initiative to develop such projects. Looks like the success of the Scorpio has done for them what the Pulsar has done for Bajaj..... the drive towards innovation.
Old 8th February 2007, 13:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And what happened to the Mercedes bio-diesel project. They have had a C class running on bio-diesel for years now
Good job but not the first in India.
Mercedes has been running Biodiesel C class in India for quite some time.
Only difference between that and normal C class.. Some plastic bits in the fuel system are changed so that they don't get corroded. Recently this merc went on a golden GQ trip along with almost the entire Mercedes range with some Auto Journalists, autocar has the details.
Old 8th February 2007, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its nothing new, since Tata has been running several biodiesel buses in Pune for its employees for a long time now. I also regularly see the biodiesel C-class in my area.
Old 8th February 2007, 15:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Its nothing new, since Tata has been running several biodiesel buses in Pune for its employees for a long time now. I also regularly see the biodiesel C-class in my area.
Around a year ago, i have seen a tata indigo, which had vinyls all around it, displaying proudly that it runs on bio-deisel. It also had a phone number to call for further details, I took the number in a pocket book and forgot about it till today. I will try to find that book and them, what its all about.
Old 8th February 2007, 15:29   #12
BHPian

what I remember reading some news papper sometime ago, is you can use bio-diesel with little or no modification to existing diesel engines. (not sure about bio - fossil mix percentage)

does that hold good still?. If then why there is a Bio-Diesel version ?.
Old 8th February 2007, 15:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Good initiative. Altho I honestly doubt, behind the PR hype, oil companies will allow such a thing to take off
Old 8th February 2007, 15:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
what I remember reading some news papper sometime ago, is you can use bio-diesel with little or no modification to existing diesel engines. (not sure about bio - fossil mix percentage)

does that hold good still?. If then why there is a Bio-Diesel version ?.
Thats correct, no engine mods needed, but you need to use corossion resistant plastics in the fuel system as biodiesel is not rubber/plastic/O-ring friendly as far as the current crop of plastics in engines is concerned.
These are minor modifications, and can hardly be termed as mods.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:18   #15
BHPian

Thanks tsk1979.

Wonder when will the bio-Diesel available to public. I know some of the depots of KSRTC already runs on Bio-Diesel. Also I have seen a plant between Hosur and Krishnagiri.

As theMag said, they will be some resistance from OIL companies. They have excess money to (distribute in politics) stop / delay alternate fuels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks