Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 12:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

The all-black Tata Harrier

According to a media report, Tata Motors is likely to introduce an all-black colour theme on the Harrier in August 2019.

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrierblack3.jpg

The all-black version of the Tata Harrier was reportedly showcased at Tata Motors' annual general meeting. The images suggest that the SUV is likely to get a black exterior with black plastic cladding around the wheel arches, doors sills and bumpers. The grille, fog lamp surrounds and ORVMs are also finished in black. It also has black 5-spoke alloy wheels. On the inside, the Harrier gets black interiors with silver trim and gloss black details. The seats get black leather upholstery.

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrierblack4.jpg

While no mechanical changes are expected, it has been reported that Tata is working on an automatic variant. A factory-fitted sunroof option is also likely to be introduced in the near future.

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrierblack1.jpg

The Harrier is offered with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 138 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 350 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm and comes paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

The all-black Tata Harrier-harrierblack2.jpg

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 31st July 2019 at 12:51.
TusharK is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:53   #2
BHPian

re: The all-black Tata Harrier

Just a new shade when the competition is going with all guns blazing ? IMO this is too little too late. Hector and soon to be launched Seltos are taking the game away from Harrier.

Where is the more powerful BS-VI version with the Auto box ? Jeep compass has one !

At least they should include Factory fit sunroof and ventilated seats in the top grade to make a reasonable impact.
vaasscit is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 15:54   #3
BHPian

It is definitely looking nice in this Black edition but merely some cosmetic changes is not going help unless they introduce an automatic variant with some more features.
I wonder why do they hold-back the automatic option when the market is already shifting towards Automatics?
Aafaq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 16:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Where is the more powerful BS-VI version with the Auto box ? Jeep compass has one !.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aafaq View Post
It is definitely looking nice in this Black edition but merely some cosmetic changes is not going help unless they introduce an automatic variant with some more features.
I wonder why do they hold-back the automatic option when the market is already shifting towards Automatics?
I think the auto-box is in testing together with the 170PS BS6 engine.
Unlike MG Hector (manual Fiat gearbox) & Jeep Compass, Tata has chosen to mate the engine with a Hyundai sourced auto-box (and Tata's own manual box). So it is being separately tested and isn't just a plug and play job.

Its a smart move IMHO to keep the product distinguished - especially now that there are really negative review comments about the FCA autobox on the Compass. The anticipation is that the Hyundai sourced box is going to be a real differentiator for the Harrier. Its better that they are taking the time now to release a fully baked product rather than another WIP release. Yet the Harrier is surely clocking respectable numbers in sales with what it already has to offer. So its not suddenly all lost. In fact its quite on the contrary.
Reinhard is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 18:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a new shade when the competition is going with all guns blazing ? IMO this is too little too late. Hector and soon to be launched Seltos are taking the game away from Harrier.

Where is the more powerful BS-VI version with the Auto box ? Jeep compass has one !

At least they should include Factory fit sunroof and ventilated seats in the top grade to make a reasonable impact.
Completely agree, should we even pay attention to such news???

We should ask them to wake up and take a walk, competiton is already choking them...
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 19:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just looking at the Tata Harrier website and Tata is advertising the fact that they have delivered over 10,000 Harriers so far. Not bad but certainly I feel these are disappointing numbers given the hype behind the launch.

The all-black Tata Harrier-capture.png

A quick glance over at our June dispatches thread and summing up the dispatches so far brings the total to 9,433 units. So by adding up the figures for July dispatches (say 1,500 units) and subtracting test drive vehicles, we should have over 10,000 owners in just 7 months of dispatches. I cant help but think that if only Tata had given us a better finished product on day 1, they would have been doing such numbers in 2-3 months like with the Nexon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I do hope that Tata pulls its socks up and gives us a much improved Harrier soon that can be the true game changer that it was probably destined to be. And then in a few years when I look to upgrade from my current hatchback, I can go for an Arizona Blue or a black (does Tata even have black cars anymore?) Harrier with all the safety bells and whistles.
Good move to launch this all black Harrier. On the official review thread, I had written about exactly this.

That said, I'm surprised to see Tata launch this special edition so unusually early in the product life cycle. Is this a sign that Tata Motors is worried about the success of the Harrier?
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 20:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Harrier is such a striking looking vehicle. I mentioned this earlier the road presence of this is immense and in my local club parking lot parked next to the previous Gen M class, it held its own.
An all black should only enhance its appeal. To bad, that when it comes to automobiles mere beauty is only going to get you that far.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 20:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Would you prefer a half baked product like the initial batch of harriers or a refined one with little to no niggles at all and a smooth shifting, high quality autobox that provides a seamless driving experience? I know what I'd pick.

The competition either doesn't have a diesel auto or has one that isn't good enough ( obviously referring to the hector and the compass ).

Besides, imo, Jeep has pretty much killed the compass with their pricing strategies, when the thing costs over 26 lacs on road, most of the people wouldn't care if it had a diesel auto, they will not part with that kind of money.

Tata still has a chance to capitalise on the voids left by the competition.

Last edited by SaiSW : 31st July 2019 at 20:37.
SaiSW is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 21:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

We need to wait for this launch - since someone in the know told me that these images are photoshopped. Black is indeed coming, but not this one. I'm guessing it to be a 'stealthy' matte black. Let's wait and watch.
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 21:04   #10
BHPian

What next? The red modified one (R-edition) we came across? We can understand if Auto box is not ready, but coming up with a new color just within months after launching the product is a whole new strategy. Sure, it keeps the buzz alive but aren't the first customers missing something? Same thing was done with Nexon, the sun burst orange was not introduced at the launch but at some point later. Is it really that hard for Tata motors to get the color options right at the time of launch?
Old 31st July 2019, 21:10   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
Sure, it keeps the buzz alive but aren't the first customers missing something? Same thing was done with Nexon, the sun burst orange was not introduced at the launch but at some point later. Is it really that hard for Tata motors to get the color options right at the time of launch?
When I bought my Honda City, black colour was available. It was discontinued two months after I bought my car, reason being ‘feedback from customers’. Does that mean the new customers are missing something? If that is actually the case, then new customers of Harriers will be gaining something right. As we say, a coin has two faces.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st July 2019 at 22:00. Reason: Edited as requested.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 21:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We need to wait for this launch - since someone in the know told me that these images are photoshopped. Black is indeed coming, but not this one. I'm guessing it to be a 'stealthy' matte black. Let's wait and watch.
Someone I know was present at the Tata Motors AGM where this car was displayed. So, it surely isnt photoshopped. Also, how can you photoshop an all-black interior?
fx45 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:24   #13
BHPian

A new shade. That’s a giant leap, TATA? I presume this is supposed to make up for the big side view mirrors and dud steering.

Last edited by maven : 31st July 2019 at 22:25. Reason: Grammar
maven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Would you prefer a half baked product like the initial batch of harriers or a refined one with little to no niggles at all and a smooth shifting, high quality autobox that provides a seamless driving experience? I know what I'd pick.

The competition either doesn't have a diesel auto or has one that isn't good enough ( obviously referring to the hector and the compass ).

Besides, imo, Jeep has pretty much killed the compass with their pricing strategies, when the thing costs over 26 lacs on road, most of the people wouldn't care if it had a diesel auto, they will not part with that kind of money.

Tata still has a chance to capitalise on the voids left by the competition.
I agree! Especially with the seamless autobox part. If they can re-create the Hexa powertrain refinement and tuning on the Harrier it'll be an ideal car to get. However, I'm not very hopeful of Tata being able to create that magic twice. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Also, with the autobox and BS 6 compliance the Harrier will get pretty close to that Compass 26lac mark and it'll even harder to justify a Tata at that price than a Jeep. A fully loaded Harrier Auto at ~20-21lacs is the sweet spot I think.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 08:56   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks deadly, gangster, badass .

But looks were hardly the Harrier's problem. IMHO, it's already among the best looking SUVs on our roads. The real issues are the niggles, unfinished product (sensitive steering etc.) and lack of options (diesel AT, petrol which is making a comeback).

It seems like the pain is on the left hand, but Tata is applying balm on the right hand.
GTO is offline   (44) Thanks

Most Viewed