Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2019, 10:58   #16
BHPian

re: The all-black Tata Harrier

Jeep has priced themselves out of the market so TML's problem isn't Jeep. Main question is, would people actually take a Harrier over the Hector even if the Harrier came with a diesel auto and maybe sunroof? Concern is the lack of connected car features in the Tata so I'm wondering whether the changes would actually have any effect on MG Bookings?

To those that were considering Harrier but ultimately booked Hector - If Tata Motors gave the option of auto, would you actually cancel Hector and buy Harrier or remain firm on your decision?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 11:39   #17
BHPian

The black interiors and the alloys look really smashing. Don't know how the chrome loving Indian market will respond to this All black version. The introduction of an Auto gearbox should be done at the earliest.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
To those that were considering Harrier but ultimately booked Hector - If Tata Motors gave the option of auto, would you actually cancel Hector and buy Harrier or remain firm on your decision?
Harrier feels good, but it feels like Tata didn't go all guns blazing to make it exceptional. A more powerful engine, better branded sound system, connected car features, diesel auto, panaromic sunroof etc are sorely missed.

I'm on the lookout for a car in the 18-25 ex-showroom bracket - I love the Harrier but I don't like the fact that Tata didn't go all out! They cannot be conservative - they should take a cue from the theatrics of a Jaguar - it feels special every time you sit in it!

All this while offering Japanese level reliability - man, I'm asking too much from a Tata, though from the bottom of my heart I want them to succeed - the Harrier stirred hearts when it was showcased for the first time, then broke many hearts when it was launched.
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was just looking at the Tata Harrier website and Tata is advertising the fact that they have delivered over 10,000 Harriers so far. Not bad but certainly I feel these are disappointing numbers given the hype behind the launch.

A quick glance over at our June dispatches thread and summing up the dispatches so far brings the total to 9,433 units. So by adding up the figures for July dispatches (say 1,500 units) and subtracting test drive vehicles, we should have over 10,000 owners in just 7 months of dispatches. I cant help but think that if only Tata had given us a better finished product on day 1, they would have been doing such numbers in 2-3 months like with the Nexon.

Good move to launch this all black Harrier. On the official review thread, I had written about exactly this.

That said, I'm surprised to see Tata launch this special edition so unusually early in the product life cycle. Is this a sign that Tata Motors is worried about the success of the Harrier?
Good points overall & good maths Neil,
Thanks for sharing the stats.

I beg to differ on 1 aspect though,

Nexon & Harrier are a segment apart.

10k is still a good number despite the market slowdown.

I quickly checked the entry-level pricing of Nexon & Harrier,
and they are 7.95 & 15.85 respectively.

Hence, they cater to different demographics.

I am seriously considering Harrier as my next ride if the auto box & 170BHP tuned engine is launched soon.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 16:29   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
I beg to differ on 1 aspect though,

Nexon & Harrier are a segment apart.

10k is still a good number despite the market slowdown.

I quickly checked the entry-level pricing of Nexon & Harrier,
and they are 7.95 & 15.85 respectively.

Hence, they cater to different demographics.

I am seriously considering Harrier as my next ride if the auto box & 170BHP tuned engine is launched soon.
Nitish.arnold, you are spot on. The Harrier is clearly targetted at the segment above the Nexon. What I meant was that had Tata got thing right the first time around, they could have replicated the success of the Nexon in the higher segment where the Harrier is slotted.

Sadly the Harrier is now the prince who could have been king.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 17:30   #21
BHPian

Looks smashing in my honest opinion! I wish that this came along with the BSVI compliant engine with the same power figures as the Compass and a new auto box.
The Harrier is definitely a product in the growing Urban "SUV" category but the finishes leave a lot to be desired in certain areas. Hopefully TATA is working on this and give a better finish in its mid life cycle.
Also, felt that the doors in the Nexon were heavier. Does anyone else think the same?
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 19:22   #22
BHPian

Excellent offering, TATA.
You can give factory fitted tinted glasses of black color.
It will make it distinct and desirable.

Also, offer a black paint maintenance package and promote it well. Customers will opt in to keep their ride shiny forever.
Good luck!
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 21:07   #23
BHPian

Slightly OT, Now that everyone ( manufacturers ) have made their moves except for Tata on the Auto box version, I'm very much excited about what Mahindra will offer with Xuv 5oo update !
They already have all that it takes to be a successful :
1) BS VI Engine
2) Great driveability
3) Better suspension and driving mannerism ( picked from Marazzo)
4) Upgraded power output
5) Success of Xuv 3oo will have taught them better packaging
6) Proper AT
7) Lastly - The Indian feel if anything the thread on MG Hector taught us !
Old 1st August 2019, 22:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looks deadly, gangster, badass .

But looks were hardly the Harrier's problem. IMHO, it's already among the best looking SUVs on our roads. The real issues are the niggles, unfinished product (sensitive steering etc.) and lack of options (diesel AT, petrol which is making a comeback).

It seems like the pain is on the left hand, but Tata is applying balm on the right hand.
I think the idea is to just push the style quotient just a bit further till the more powerful BS6 auto is ready. I feel it's a good move. Whether the comments are positive or negative, it still has us talking.

Personally I think it looks brilliant. Although I would not choose it as it will heat up quite quickly in our sun.
slango97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 23:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looks deadly, gangster, badass .

But looks were hardly the Harrier's problem. IMHO, it's already among the best looking SUVs on our roads. The real issues are the niggles, unfinished product (sensitive steering etc.) and lack of options (diesel AT, petrol which is making a comeback).

It seems like the pain is on the left hand, but Tata is applying balm on the right hand.
Don't we have confirmation that the new update (read part changes and software changes) as reported by other users/owners have infact changed the steering issue for the better? & the clutch, ICE touchscreen software issues have been improved upon.
AT definitely coming, right? Given the numerous spy shots already seen on TeamBHP.

So what's remaining to be sorted:
  • Left leg brushing with the console for some people
  • awkward position of the USB and charging slot
  • and... ?

It's just unbelievable that Tata would actually listen to customer feedback and finally give us a BLACK version! I was begging them for a Black Manza way back in 2011 but they didn't budge.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

I was out and happen to chance on a car that looked real cool in a grey shade, I thought it to be a Harrier and then discovered it was a Range Rover Velar. Looks aren't Harrier's weak link, lack of an automatic, shoddy execution and refinement levels are. This Black Edition looks cool but feel Harrier has already missed the bus.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

26 replies and if I am not missing, not one post in favor of AWD/4WD. THe approach angle appears much better than Hexa and the Harrier looks very good, I just hope, it comes with a proper 4WD system soon.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
26 replies and if I am not missing, not one post in favor of AWD/4WD. THe approach angle appears much better than Hexa and the Harrier looks very good, I just hope, it comes with a proper 4WD system soon.
Well, we have XUV 500 W11 AWD AT variant, which almost ticks all the boxes (Diesel Automatic, 4WD, Sunroof, 6 airbags etc...). But I have hardly seen any plying on our roads. When I last checked with a dealer, they said that they had in all sold about 5 cars of the face lifted version of the SUV.

4WD variants will be preferred by very few off-roading enthusiasts. The price of this variant would be easily about 1-1.5L over and above the top variant. Indian market is more of pricing and value for money driven market and such cars will never be seeing volumes.

Having said all these, I would any day prefer a 4WD SUV with Auto box. I dint have the guts to even check or test drive Jeep Compass Trailhawk, knowing that my Finance Minister will not allow the bill to clear Level 0 even.

Last edited by MukundanMK : 2nd August 2019 at 09:50. Reason: Typo
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
Well, we have XUV 500 W11 AWD AT variant, which almost ticks all the boxes (Diesel Automatic, 4WD, Sunroof, 6 airbags etc...). But I have hardly seen any plying on our roads. When I last checked with a dealer, they said that they had in all sold about 5 cars of the face lifted version of the SUV.
XUV AWD AT is discontinued now. Only manual AWD is availiable. It could be because of low sales like you mentioned.

The cheapest diesel automatic AWD is now Jeep compass trail hawk at 26 lakhs ex showroom. I have a feeling Harrier will never get AWD. Development cost of AWD will increase the price across the range, not just the AWD version, because the bean counters will look at profitability as a whole for a model. So without sufficent numbers for the AWD version, the whole model's profitability will be red. Buzzard/Cassini might get it. But the pricing will be on par with compass I think.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd August 2019 at 09:55.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:15   #30
BHPian

If TML manage to plonk in a BS-VI compliant engine and an auto gear box into this beauty. But they keep on introducing new shades.
Are we fixing the wrong problem?

Get a hang of the market, and try to win rather than just fight off Hector and Seltos
Sunil2307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed