Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2019, 20:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
That is just a distance of 7km which can take upto 2 hours to travel (just an example). The reasons behind the time taken are immaterial if you are stuck in a EV which is losing it's range and can leave you stranded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Getting caught in traffic, is a real concern. With limited range of EVs and ever-increasing city traffic doesn't sum up to a positive decision making even though one's daily commute is very less.
These are more of apprehensions (triggered by lack of knowledge) than actual issues Being an EV owner for more than a year now, I can tell you that unlike internal combustion engines, EVs lose as less as 1% of battery charge an hour while "idling" because idling is as good as "off" for an EV subject to usage of accessories like a/c, music system, etc. I have sat in an hour long jam with a/c and music system on for the entire duration, losing only 3% of my battery juice!! That, my friends, is the beauty of EVs. That said, one has to be more meticulous in planning charging cycles in accordance with upcoming trips and keeping the battery as charged as possible for unforeseen trips.

Last edited by cool_dube : 12th August 2019 at 20:30.
cool_dube is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I have sat in an hour long jam with a/c and music system on for the entire duration, losing only 3% of my battery juice!!
Thank you cool_dube for telling about the real world experience with an EV in a traffic jam. The manufacturers of EVs should highlight such points which could be of concern to many buyers. The apprehensions about EVs are mainly due to the other chargeable battery powered gadgets used in day to day life (mobile phones, shavers, etc).
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 22:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
With EVs it wont be a fill and go. The batteries do take a lot longer to charge than filling up the tank and moving on. Even the fast chargers take between 45 mins to an hour to charge the battery to 80% capacity.
Charging stations are coming up rapidly. Even now, there are hundreds of charging stations across India including DC fast chargers. The government is planning on having stations on highways at every 2 to 3 kms. Many companies like Tata Power are planning on opening hundreds of stations this year itself. Now coming to your point, if I am going on a trip of say 400 kms, I would find a couple of possible charging stations on the way. Soon we would have them at roadside malls and restaurants. I would start the charge and go have lunch and a little rest after around 150 kms. Then I would stop for some tea and coffee after 300 odd kms. Yes a bit of a hassle but I like to stop to refresh myself every couple of hours anyway. If you need to make frequent long trips then this car may not work for you. If you travel out of station a couple of times a year and are not pressed for time, you can make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Duly noted. What i wrote applied to petrol filling on ICE powered vehicles. The idea was to keep fully charged batteries in fuel dealerships which could be exchanged for drained ones and to act as charging facilities for drained ones. It was only a discussion, far from seeing reality
The batteries and not removable or compact. They are very large and take the entire floor and boot area. There is no way to take them out and swap them in any EV. Secondly, I wouldn't want to change my battery for an unknown one. I would make sure to be gentle on my vehicle and to charge it with caution. How would I know the age of the battery being exchanged and how it has been treated?
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 19:50   #34
BHPian

With most EVs the idea is to charge it every day like a cellphone and with an electric car, it is like you have a fuel station at home. In light of this, the real question would be how many of us actually drive more than 200 kms in day. Even renting a car for occassionally outstation drive would still be cheaper if your daily driver is an EV.
Old 13th August 2019, 20:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
These are more of apprehensions (triggered by lack of knowledge) than actual issues Being an EV owner for more than a year now, I can tell you that unlike internal combustion engines, EVs lose as less as 1% of battery charge an hour while "idling" because idling is as good as "off" for an EV subject to usage of accessories like a/c, music system, etc. I have sat in an hour long jam with a/c and music system on for the entire duration, losing only 3% of my battery juice!! That, my friends, is the beauty of EVs. That said, one has to be more meticulous in planning charging cycles in accordance with upcoming trips and keeping the battery as charged as possible for unforeseen trips.
What is the vehicle you drive?
Old 13th August 2019, 21:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd_tkt View Post
With most EVs the idea is to charge it every day like a cellphone and with an electric car, it is like you have a fuel station at home. In light of this, the real question would be how many of us actually drive more than 200 kms in day. Even renting a car for occassionally outstation drive would still be cheaper if your daily driver is an EV.
My daily drive is less than 25 kms but there a rare day every few months when I have clocked 150+ kms within a day running errands within the city. Almost all my outstation trips (every 2-3 months) are 1500-3000km long and spread over 1-4 weeks. I love these long trips and prefer taking my own car only for such trips. Hence I don't see EV as an option for me unless it is a second car(just for daily use).
Old 13th August 2019, 21:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd_tkt View Post
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
What is the vehicle you drive?
I drive a 2016 make Mahindra e2o
Old 20th September 2019, 12:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Tigor EV with extended range launch next week

According to a media report, Tata Motors could launch the updated Tigor EV with extended range next week. The car is likely to be offered to private buyers as well.

Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers-tigorev1.jpg

At present, the Tigor EV is powered by a 72 volt, AC induction motor that produces 40.23 BHP and 105 Nm of torque. The 16.2 kWh battery is said to have a maximum range of 142 km on a single charge. Tata claims that the battery can be recharged to its full capacity in 6 hours. It takes 90 minutes to recharge up to 80% using a 15 kW DC fast charger.

While Tata hasn't released details of the extended range model, it is rumoured to offer up to 200 km of maximum range on a single charge.

Source: NDTV

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 20th September 2019 at 12:20.
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 14:17   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I hope there is a bump in the power output and not just range extension, 42 bhp for Tigor is really weak, and has dented the image of EVs in India rather than enhancing it.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 14:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I hope there is a bump in the power output and not just range extension, 42 bhp for Tigor is really weak, and has dented the image of EVs in India rather than enhancing it.
Tell me about it, incidentally I had requested for a test drive of Tigor EV yesterday, the power is very less for a car weighing in at a ton. Only in sports mode, did the car move in any way usefel, the eco mode is quite useless.
Definitely need a bump in power, range and top speed.

Most Viewed