Team-BHP - Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/211827-rumour-long-range-tigor-ev-private-buyers.html)

According to a media report, Tata Motors is likely to introduce a long range version of the Tigor EV for private buyers.

Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers-tigor-ev.jpg

At the moment, the Tigor EV, which is powered by a 16.2 kWh battery pack has a maximum range of 142 km (MIDC cycle) on a single charge. It is only sold to fleet operators. It is said that private buyers will be offered a more powerful version that is expected to have a maximum range of 200 km.

In its present configuration, the Tigor EV uses a 72V, 3-Phase AC induction motor that puts out 40 BHP @ 4,500 rpm and 105 Nm of torque @ 2,500 rpm and is mated to a single speed automatic transmission. Tata claims that the battery can be recharged to 80% of its capacity in 90 minutes using a 15 kW DC fast charger and in 6 hours using a normal charger.

Source: NDTV

Link to Team-BHP News

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4632956)

At the moment, the Tigor EV, which is powered by a 16.2 kWh battery pack has a maximum range of 142 km (MIDC cycle) on a single charge. It is only sold to fleet operators. It is said that private buyers will be offered a more powerful version that is expected to have a maximum range of 200 km.

The range need to be a minimum 500+ KM, to be able to penetrate deep into the market. Even if 100-200 KM range is sufficient for city drive, what happen, if they want for a long drive. Obviously they will have to rent another car, though they got one at home. Its senseless.

With the long range being touted at 200 km, in practicality it will be more like 150-160 kms. So, that translates to people having to charge her up 2-3 days, and ofcourse the issue of taking it out for a long drive, acceptability might be very limited.
For this to be practical, range needs to be in the region of 400-500 km for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by india008 (Post 4633017)
The range need to be a minimum 500+ KM, to be able to penetrate deep into the market. Even if 100-200 KM range is sufficient for city drive, what happen, if they want for a long drive. Obviously they will have to rent another car, though they got one at home. Its senseless.

I know many people who never drive outside the city. For such people this would be an excellent car, if (big if) the price is right. It will certainly be more expensive upfront than a petrol or diesel car. The question is will the savings over 5 years be worth it. Even if yes, they won't become mass-market until the prices are within 25% of a petrol car's cost. (5 lakh petrol = 6.25 lakh EV). That's a long way off. But I think a niche market will be there.

There are also claims that maintenance costs are lower and lifetime is longer for EVs. In theory that should be correct since there are far fewer moving parts. In practice I don't know.

So in a nutshell, Tigor never gets a good engine, nor a better battery pack with a longer range in EV.

I never liked the compact sedans but Tigor has a decent shape. While it's good that EV is being made available to private buyers, really wish Tata pushes more on this one. Get a decent range and fast charging, brag about it as much as you can and leave the rest to the buyers. I don't see why it wouldn't bring them numbers then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunil2307 (Post 4633044)
With the long range being touted at 200 km, in practicality it will be more like 150-160 kms. So, that translates to people having to charge her up 2-3 days, and ofcourse the issue of taking it out for a long drive, acceptability might be very limited.
For this to be practical, range needs to be in the region of 400-500 km for sure.

Ever wonder what the size of the batteries are going to be for that kind of range? The batteries would probably weigh as much as the car and the boot goes for a toss. The Tesla Model 3 weighs in at 1.85 tons and gives a claimed range of 500 kms.

And at what price?

EVs are best suited for city drives, period.

For all those saying that it needs to have at least 400 km range to work - Tata Motors could easily give it I feel but the big concern is whether anyone will pay the money that will be charged? Because that much of a range would mean that the price would definitely escalate. I highly doubt anyone will pay midsize SUV price (read Harrier, Hector) to own a compact EV sedan. I'm referencing the Kona here since with its range, one has to pay at least 23 lakhs and this is a car that looks the size of an S-Cross. So remove at least 5 lakhs from that price and you start to get the pricing I'm talking about for the tigor EV.

At the same price, I will take it! Even if the real world range is around 130 to 140kms, its still better than having a sub 100 range

Its only as expensive as a Honda Amaze iDtec CVT, and it will be cheaper to run.

I would need it to drive for 3kms daily and occasionally 80kms weekly once, and this car will suit me perfectly.

For anything longer, I can use normal diesel cars!

200 kms of advertised range should give a true range of 130-140 kms. That is enough for most office commutes. Even with the traffic blocks and delays, one can still reach home with that kind of a range. You can anyway charge overnight at your home. I think there would be many takers including me if they can sell it under 15 lakhs on road .

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 4633066)
EVs are best suited for city drives, period.

As of today, yes. That is the case.

The government wants to tout EVs as the vehicles of the future. Heck, they even want to phase out ICE cars in a few years time.

So, if that is the future, how will people go on outstation drives?

As far only restricting to city drives is concerned, there are many people whose daily drives are in the range of 80-100 kms daily and within the city. For them this kind of range will mean that they have to charger their car daily or every alternate day, even with a city drive.

The car manufacturers have to invest further to ensure that the batteries give a longer range while weighing lesser than they do today.

Tesla 3 - standard range weighs 1600 kg and gives a range of 354 km
Long range weighs 1800 kg and gives a range of 560 km.

And these are not just the battery weight.

My Skoda Rapid weighs in at ~1220 kg. Tata Harrier weighs in around 1675 kg.

The Tesla is premium car and costs as much. My only point is at a range of 200 km they cant be calling this a long ranger, as it just about fulfills city driving requirements, and that too not for everyone.

Our friendly neighborhood Autospy caught this range-extender Tigor EV testing on the roads leading out of Pune a couple of days back.

According to him, the test mule was doing around 90 kmph.

Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers-3.jpg

Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers-1.jpg

Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers-2.jpg

I disagree with those calling for a longer range. 150km range is more than enough for city dwellers. Electric cars are perfect for the city given their efficiency, environmental friendliness and great low end response.

This is also not going to be anybody's only car - it will be a very competent second or third car that complements your highway cruiser.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunil2307 (Post 4633082)
As far only restricting to city drives is concerned, there are many people whose daily drives are in the range of 80-100 kms daily and within the city. For them this kind of range will mean that they have to charger their car daily or every alternate day, even with a city drive.

I drive a minimum of 40 kms a day and my monthly run is a minimum of 1000 kms. I would be very happy with a 150-200 km range which means I need to charge every 3 days. However, I would be happy with daily overnight charging too. With very little infrastructure in place, I wouldn't risk driving an EV outstation even if the said range is 500 kms because of our traffic scenario. A friend drove to Bangalore last week. He did 300 kms in 4 hours and the next 20 in 2 more hours.

Quote:

The car manufacturers have to invest further to ensure that the batteries give a longer range while weighing lesser than they do today.
The Tigor EV is here for today, not down the line. The tech is of today not the future.

Quote:

Tesla 3 - standard range weighs 1600 kg and gives a range of 354 km
Long range weighs 1800 kg and gives a range of 560 km.

And these are not just the battery weight.

My Skoda Rapid weighs in at ~1220 kg. Tata Harrier weighs in around 1675 kg.
Please check again. I said as the range is extended battery weight will end up close to the weight of the car as well. Again, at what price are you willing to buy?

Quote:

The Tesla is premium car and costs as much. My only point is at a range of 200 km they cant be calling this a long ranger, as it just about fulfills city driving requirements, and that too not for everyone.
When the current range of EVs have a range of 80-100 kms real time, 200 kms is long range indeed.

We are now used to the one car fit all situation and giving range limitations , in my opinion, is a step backward. One must remember that even with ICE, you can only travel as much as your fuel tank is able to hold in a single fill. The only difference is that in a highway you have bunks all along so that you can tank up and drive. This feature is now not available with EV. The charging stations should be present on highways so that we can charge it as we drive.

One white paper that i read was mentioning about using batteries like LPG cylinders. You just use them and return the empty shell in exchange for a new one. The company then charges it and puts it back in circulation. You then don't own the battery but rather lease it. i thought at that time it was a good idea. Bunks just store the batteries and you can exchange them as you drive. It was, i admit , a western idea. lol:

The problem , as it would be obvious, is that we need to standardize battery capacities.

Thats a good move no doubt. So kudos to Tata.

However -
  1. Why only for private buyers? Why not fleet operators? They need more range in the day too!
  2. It needs a more powerful motor too. Its just about adequate right now & for a heavy car like the Tigor with people, better to get more power certainly.