Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 11:02   #31
BHPian

Re: July 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

With everything said and done, Hyundai has still managed to bear the brunt quite well. If you see the Year-on-year sales, Maruti saw a decline of around 56,000 examples, whereas Hyundai's sales are down by just 700-odd copies. That is a huge moral win for the second-largest automaker.

Also, MG already beat Skoda?! Let's see if it manages to keep the lead in the coming months.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:09   #32
BHPian

There seems to be a significant drop (more than the secular drop across market) for most 10-15 lakh segment where the main variant is powered by a small diesel. This could be indicative of the market preference change for small petrols triggered by all the publicity on BS6.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 11:13   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
At the risk of going off topic, what lesson are you talking about, and why should this trend continue?
Imagine a situation where, Verna, Ciaz and City are just rebadged versions of each other. Imagine Fortuner, Endy are rebadged versions of each other, same goes for everything else.

So rebadged versions being on sale alongside original cars do not really bring anything good for us the end user is what I feel (Did Toyota add their legendary...well nothing, In India Suzuki is just as reliable as it gets) So where is the value addition here?

Duster Vs Terrano, Sunny Vs Scala, Renault whatever Vs Kicks etc etc tells us a story that we Indians are smart enough. Baleno is a competent product, a hot seller , It is not expected of Toyota to do whatever even a small kid can do with a coin, a few minutes of courage, some super glue, thats it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 11:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
So rebadged versions being on sale alongside original cars do not really bring anything good for us the end user is what I feel (Did Toyota add their legendary...well nothing, In India Suzuki is just as reliable as it gets) So where is the value addition here?
I dont think its about re-badging. They want to have more cars in their portfolio and they got just that in the form of Glanza. There is no investment from Toyota's side to get this car in their showrooms. And they are selling almost what ever they are getting from Maruti that too with instant profit.

So it a +ve for Toyota's and the showroom guys. They are selling 2000 more vehicles than before. Isn't it good? And the service these cars will bring to their service centers is another +ve.
india008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 14:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Baleno is a competent product, a hot seller , It is not expected of Toyota to do whatever even a small kid can do with a coin, a few minutes of courage, some super glue, thats it.
While I see your point, the market doesn't seem to agree with you . Toyota sold 1804 Glanzas. That makes it 17% of their total sales in July! They sold 2142 and 1919 numbers in the previous two months. This is no small feat in today's especially hard times.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 14:20   #36
BHPian

Surprised seeing Eeco at 6th doing 9k+ units and bettering Ertiga Fleet owners maybe!
Old 8th August 2019, 14:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine a situation where, Verna, Ciaz and City are just rebadged versions of each other. Imagine Fortuner, Endy are rebadged versions of each other, same goes for everything else.

I agree. Nothing good to the end consumer happens because of this rebadging exercise.What Toyota and Suzuki has done is to establish an equilibrium as per game theory where neither of them can win. The other available move of differentiating or designing an all new compact car would have meant that one of them would be a clear winner.

There is this other law in economics which says this equilibrium will never be the socially optimum one or the best scenario for consumers.So it is a given that this will never bring anything good to the end consumer, but this is the best case scenario for Suzuki and Toyota. That 1809 Glanzas might actually be the easiest profit Toyota has ever made in India. Such exercises are a signs of maturing market and we will keep seeing these things more and more.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 8th August 2019 at 15:10.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 15:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
No questions, automobile industry in India is bleeding!

However, I notice some specific cars don't seem to be impacted by the market slow down.

1. New Ertiga
2. WagonR
3. And the new prince from Hyundai's kingdom, The Venue.
Clearly the new gens and entrants have been receiving good response. Venue is killing it.

Some others as well, managed to beat previous months sales figures:
1. Eeco: Effect due to Omni's exit from the market
2. Amaze: Going pretty strong in the current market condition
3. Santro: Doing well, for the decent looks it has

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The industry stays in deep red. In the meantime...
[*]Why is Harrier sales shrinking every month?[/list]
Maybe its due to double whammy from MG Hector & Kia Seltos.

D1 SUV Segment: The onslaught of Hector (picture below), it will be interesting to see what will Seltos do to this segment.

July 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-hector.png

Last edited by SDP : 8th August 2019 at 21:19. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or MultiQuote rather than posting one post after another.
Old 8th August 2019, 17:17   #39
BHPian

A look at the Top 25 cars during the month of July, in the last 10 years -

July 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-historic_jul_20191.png

July 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-historic_jul_20192.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 18:39   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Thank god, fellow countrymen and women for the Glanza numbers - 1/5th of what the Baleno does! Hope this trend continues and Toyota learns its lesson.
Quote:

Baleno is a competent product, a hot seller , It is not expected of Toyota to do whatever even a small kid can do with a coin, a few minutes of courage, some super glue, thats it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
I dont think its about re-badging. They want to have more cars in their portfolio and they got just that in the form of Glanza. There is no investment from Toyota's side to get this car in their showrooms. And they are selling almost what ever they are getting from Maruti that too with instant profit.
  • Well, Toyota is not trying to offer anything to the end consumer with this exercise but they are actually trying to improve their corporate average fuel efficiency credits!
  • They are not doing it to expand their portfolio or to improve profits, but they are doing it to improve their CAFE scores with the least possible investment.
  • End user is neither getting any value addition nor is losing anything, it's just a neutral thing for the end user.
Both Suzuki and Toyota are working out on a win-win strategy, it is working out for them.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 20:32   #41
BHPian

Industry is seeing bloodbath across the segments. Are we seeing a new trend, where people want to buy a new entrant in the market and be different from their neighbors and family. Bookings of MG Hector and KIA Seltos present this trend

Companies may have to increase the frequency of facelifts of their cars from the existing cycle to a shorter cycle, to stay relevant in the market and give customers a new choice as frequent as possible.

How are Nissan, Skoda, Datsun, Fiat meeting their operating costs with such low sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BopsKA12 View Post
Surprised seeing Eeco at 6th doing 9k+ units and bettering Ertiga Fleet owners maybe!
Maruti Omni's production has been stopped and it could have spiked the Eeco's sales.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 21:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

Both Suzuki and Toyota are working out on a win-win strategy, it is working out for them.
Now since the sales number of Baleno has been on the downturn, this agreement is helping Suzuki to move out their old stock.
Old 8th August 2019, 22:17   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd rather call the current dispatches (NOT SALES!!!) as a correction. Terms like bloodbath/in the red are way too extreme for what may be a temporary phenomenon. Besides, I'd say the inflated dispatches up until now for 3-4 years now, specially of Maruti were an anomaly for a country as small as India, yes we may be overpopulated (understatement) but we sure aren't an automobile crazy nation which is about the only thing I like about here. We sure don't have the roads/infra/intelligence to accommodate even half of the currently existing motorists.

I hope the correction is permanent, and I hope with KIA's help and with 2-3 vehicles added to their sales lineup, that they and Hyundai can permanently topple the present No.1.. they deserve it. Of course at the end of the day I'm happy with the dropping sales be it any brand, I can use some free roads for whatever they are worth and car ownership will once again be the exclusive club that it used to be.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 22:41   #44
BHPian

Somehow Ecosport has managed to retain it's share (approximately 3000) after the launch of Venue. It's been the Brezza that has been affected. This probably tells us about the profile of buyers who buys this cars. Maybe a buyer who buys a Ford barely looks at an Hyundai.
guru_max is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 08:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
car ownership will once again be the exclusive club that it used to be.
A bit of an elitist/weird thought?
I am all for reduced car purchases, but purely from the point of view that the roads are congested enough already and any further growth will take whatever little enjoyment we enthusiasts currently have on the roads.
Exclusivity can be a by-product but for reasons like lack of interest among people. Just my thought.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2019 at 18:59. Reason: typos
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks