Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2007, 20:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

DICOR Indigo and Marina launched by Tata

Tata Motors extends its common rail diesel (DICOR) engine
to the Indigo Sedan and Estate range

Having launched two new range of passenger cars last month in January – the facelifted 2007 Indica and the long wheel base Indigo XL – Tata Motors today announced the launch of another two new models on its best selling Indigo sedan and the Indigo Marina estate range with its new 1.4 litre Direct Injection Common Rail (DICOR) diesel engine. The DICOR option will henceforth be available in the top end versions of the Indigo Sedan and the Indigo Marina estate.

The silent, 32 bit microprocessor based 1.4 litre, 70 PS engine with a high torque of 140 Nm offers the most contemporary diesel engine technology, featuring high pressure multiple injections, use of hydraulic and low friction mechanisms ensuring better combustion and more fuel efficiency.

The 16-valve engine has Dual Overhead Camshafts, which enhance the high end power output of the engine and a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT), which minimises the turbo lag at lower engine rpms for improved driveability. The DICOR engine powered Indigo sedan and Indigo Marina station-wagon is priced at Rs. 5.85 lakhs and Rs 5.98 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi) respectively.

Tata Motors launched its first common rail diesel engine on the Tata Safari in 2005 as a 3 litre configuration and between the naturally aspirated, turbo-charged, turbo-charged intercooled and common rail options, offers the most diverse diesel engine range on any car and utility vehicle range in the country

Source:
Tata Motors - Media Centre

Last edited by adya33 : 8th February 2007 at 22:50. Reason: Avoid using FONT tags
Old 8th February 2007, 20:51   #2
nbr
BHPian

WOW ! DICOR engined Indigo and Marina ,launched so soon. Hope the new motor doesn't have any technical faults unlike other TATA models.
can the new DICOR engine prevent potential TATA customers from going towards Diesel SWIFT, LOGAN is to be seen.
Old 8th February 2007, 21:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

The DICOR engine powered Indigo sedan and Indigo Marina station-wagon is priced at Rs. 5.85 lakhs and Rs 5.98 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi) respectively.
5.85 Lakhs??? And that too ex-showroom Delhi?? For a 70ps engine? Where did the new technology go?
Old 8th February 2007, 21:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
5.85 Lakhs??? And that too ex-showroom Delhi?? For a 70ps engine? Where did the new technology go?
70 ps only even with VGT???

and 140 Nm torque too??? What did they wanted to do by bringing in a DiCOR???
Old 8th February 2007, 21:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Peace. We need to study its torque curve better to qualify its insufficiency or otherwise.

Congrats to Tata for VGTing the Dicor. Maruti - what stopped you on the 1.3 multijet ?
Old 9th February 2007, 00:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

Having launched two new range of passenger cars last month in January – the facelifted 2007 Indica and the long wheel base Indigo XL – Tata Motors today announced the launch of another two new models on its best selling Indigo sedan and the Indigo Marina estate range with its new 1.4 litre Direct Injection Common Rail (DICOR) diesel engine. The DICOR option will henceforth be available in the top end versions of the Indigo Sedan and the Indigo Marina estate.

The silent, 32 bit microprocessor based 1.4 litre, 70 PS engine with a high torque of 140 Nm offers the most contemporary diesel engine technology, featuring high pressure multiple injections, use of hydraulic and low friction mechanisms ensuring better combustion and more fuel efficiency.

The 16-valve engine has Dual Overhead Camshafts, which enhance the high end power output of the engine and a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT), which minimises the turbo lag at lower engine rpms for improved driveability. The DICOR engine powered Indigo sedan and Indigo Marina station-wagon is priced at Rs. 5.85 lakhs and Rs 5.98 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi) respectively.

Tata Motors launched its first common rail diesel engine on the Tata Safari in 2005 as a 3 litre configuration and between the naturally aspirated, turbo-charged, turbo-charged intercooled and common rail options, offers the most diverse diesel engine range on any car and utility vehicle range in the country

Source:
Tata Motors - Media Centre
i think they are over pricing the technology and making it available only in the lx and sx models i think is not fair! people buying the "ls" who could strech max 50k from the ls onwards are stuck as the dicor is 50k+ to the existing lx that makes it a good 1 lakh additional to the existing ls.

if they had the engine even on the ls it could have been easier for people buying the ls to go in for the ls-dicor!as it would have been 59+ to the ls indirect injected model!

well for now tata is playing games! i think once the logan in ..... things will get tighter and they'l give more vfm!

" DAMN THE TATAS AS OF NOW! "
Old 9th February 2007, 01:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

The 70 bhp and the Torque figure are the maximum figures at the respective rpms. Which in no way indicates how much torque (the real pulling force) the engine makes at other rpm's. So even with the same figure for power or torque, the engine could be pulling much stronger. ACI says Tata deliberately restricted the power as the old indica/indigo platform/chassis does not have the ability to sustain over long term the high torque the engine can make.
But the big question is, when will the Indica DICOR happen, itching to see the DICOR logo occupying the space occupied by that uncool TURBO logo behind those lovely red cars.
Old 9th February 2007, 01:20   #8
BANNED

Wow! So that has finally happened.
70PS may sound little but I think TaTa is just getting started with these engines. Just wait till the new Indica etc.. Comes out.
This happens with Tatas I guess. Remember the Safari Dicor? First it was launched with the 3ltr engine but less power. Now, the new Safari will have a smaller capacity engine but with more power. So, never under estimate these developments.

Kudos TATA. Keep it up.
Old 9th February 2007, 09:59   #9
BHPian

There shouldn't be much gap in pricing between Lx and Xl so the price of 5.85.
It will be thumbs down for both sedans. I don't think they will continue to have same amount of sales as they use to have with Indigo.

Another reason for people to go for Swift D.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

GUYS this engine is really neat .

I drove an Indigo XL . Its quite linear like a petrol . This is not a car made for boyracing so redlining it in each gear is not the best way to get her to go . Treat it with respect and its really something else . Its quite silent for a Tata . XL looks nice upfront though side profile still looks weird and stupid with the boot going flat and abrupt slope and the front bonnet having a slope right from the windshield to the bumper .

All they need to do now is Change the whole body and the gearbox and the plastics and re tune the suspension ......ooops that said the only good part is the price and the engine .

Renault(not Dacia) Logan looks much better shaped .And the car is having similar kind of engine and they are going to price it close . .........so who's going to win ?

Last edited by maxbhp : 9th February 2007 at 10:10.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:12   #11
BHPian

Tata Indigo Dicor :
The silent, 32 bit microprocessor based 1.4 litre, 70 PS engine with a high torque of 140 Nm offers the most
Price (Ex show room):
Indigo Rs. 5.85 lakhs onwards Ex show room
Maruti Swift D:
5-STEP MULTI INJECTION * COMPACT 1.3 LITRE DOHC ENGINE *
CLASS BEATING TORQUE OF 190 NM AND POWER OF 75 BHP
Price (Ex show room):
Swift Diesel LDi 4,66,269
Swift Diesel VDi 4,94,795

Tata's really haven't found the winner in this Dicor offering. Yes, torque curve can best give the real picture but apperantly and considering reputation of Tata and Maruti, there isn't a reason to go for Tata unless one really needs a boot as it's not available in Swift. I think that too will be taken care when new Maruti Baleno arrives.
Old 9th February 2007, 12:06   #12
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Well said Nipatel
Unless TATA put the 1.3 JTD in their cars there is no way they can retain their leadership position in compact diesels. The more they delay indica with 1.3 JTD the more swift gains. huge amounts of space does not compensate for a inferior engine.
Old 9th February 2007, 12:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
GUYS this engine is really neat .

I drove an Indigo XL . Its quite linear like a petrol . This is not a car made for boyracing so redlining it in each gear is not the best way to get her to go . Treat it with respect and its really something else .
I would second that even though I havent driven it.. Only yesterday, I was cruising along NH4 on the way to office and the test car appeared on my rear view mirror in no time at all.. One moment there werent any vehicles behind me and the next moment, he was breathing down my neck !!
Old 9th February 2007, 12:28   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I find it pretty surprising that there is no power improvement, atleast not a significant one. To the end buyer, what additional value is he getting by paying the extra $$$. Sure there may be some torque curve difference, but still the difference is not as significant as in other diesel mills.

As someone mentioned, Tata could have deliberately restricted the power so they dont have to upgrade the gearbox and transmission.
Old 9th February 2007, 12:33   #15
BHPian

I guess dicored indigo will be sold on the premise of better FE figures and refinement levels. Going by Fiesta TDCi acceptance in the market, bhp figures shouldnt be a cause of concern.

Regards
Tifosi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks