Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 14:49   #181
BHPian

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Seems like sense prevailed after the auto Expo.

Hope they get it really soon as we are in need of a small car for city run around. As a second car, this fits the bill perfectly. For me it will mostly be a daily drive as I drive alone most of the time. Hope they launch the automatic Variant
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:56   #182
BANNED

Short review by Eurekar UK. Just to let all know that Jimny is not to be compared with the current crop of sub-4m cross overs. It is in a league of its own. And Suzuki has not watered down its recipe in UK. The Gypsy we all are waiting here should be such an original model -3 door, 4x4 and may be a bit longer. Adding 5 doors or removing 4x4 system can be done in a different model, and you call it some other name.

Source:
https://www.eurekar.co.uk/articles/2...ll-go-anywhere

"WHILE it still has limitations, the latest Suzuki Jimny is a far better road car than the previous versions without compromising fantastic off-road prowess.

But for those out there who put crossovers like the Nissan Qashqai and SEAT Arona in the same bracket, I'm afraid they aren't."
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimfront_1.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 22nd February 2020 at 08:08.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If this news is correct, the chance is that it will be imported and will cost around 18L. The product will bomb like the Kizashi, and the Maruti officials will declare again that India is not matured to have such a product.

Better to launch it as an India-made car, and price around 8-10L. I can assure Maruti that there will a monthly sale of 5K units.
They are launching it in Arena and Nexa so you can expect not the premium product version. Am already wondering what will MSIL retain from the original.
Old 25th February 2020, 10:46   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
They are launching it in Arena and Nexa so you can expect not the premium product version. Am already wondering what will MSIL retain from the original.
This many not be due the lack of premiumness, but because of the targetted customer. Being a 4x4, the actual target will be the rural / hill area customers where Arena has presence and Nexa is non-existent. Even if it will be bought by urban people who want a second car for city use, Arena can serve the purpose.
Old 25th February 2020, 11:33   #185
BHPian

Quote:
If this news is correct, the chance is that it will be imported and will cost around 18L. The product will bomb like the Kizashi, and the Maruti officials will declare again that India is not matured to have such a product.

Better to launch it as an India-made car, and price around 8-10L. I can assure Maruti that there will a monthly sale of 5K units.
I think you underestimate how many people can afford vehicles in the 20L price point, even as lifestyle or recreational choices to think that it will bomb at that price.

I would definitely buy it if it launched under 30L and you can be assured it will have a fit and finish worthy of the price. CBU's are usually very well put together.

I just hope that they launch it with all of the existing colour options. Usually we Indians get stuck with some drab choices.
Old 25th February 2020, 12:04   #186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
I think you underestimate how many people can afford vehicles in the 20L price point, even as lifestyle or recreational choices to think that it will bomb at that price.
May be I am under-estimating. But I am talking from the middle class' point of view.

Mini Cooper is launched in India around 20L. How many people have bought it? 10s / 100s are not the scale in which Maruti will be measuring the success of a car.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th February 2020 at 12:14.
Old 25th February 2020, 14:06   #187
BHPian

Quote:
May be I am under-estimating. But I am talking from the middle class' point of view.

Mini Cooper is launched in India around 20L. How many people have bought it? 10s / 100s are not the scale in which Maruti will be measuring the success of a car.
Every brand needs to have aspirational, benchmark vehicles in their lineup to improve brand image. Just because the Nissan GTR will only sell in small numbers it does not mean Nissan should not have made a GTR. It did wonders for the brand on multiple fronts:

Customer perception about brand quality, engineering
Visibility, marketing
Design language carryover
Technology trickle down

And I am sure many more fronts as well. Sometimes it is ok for the company if not every Tom, Dick and Harry can afford a vehicle. They have loftier goals for such launches.
Old 25th February 2020, 14:42   #188
BHPian

Quote:

I would definitely buy it if it launched under 30L and you can be assured it will have a fit and finish worthy of the price. CBU's are usually very well put together.
For most of the Indian customers, purchases happen if a they find a product to have Value for money or that brand/product is an aspirational one.

Jimny, in 20 lacs plus will lack in both the aspects. GTI, even though an aspirational product, failed miserably, nor did it create any halo effect.

There will be always outliers in everything, similarly a few customers may purchase by spending 30 lacs for Jimny. But that will be very limited in number, which will not be sustainable for Maruti to keep up the manufacturing.

Also one case of the mindset of a regular upper middle class person, my brother is planning to upgrade the car from Honda city to a starting luxury segment, but he is not ready to even test-drive beyond Mercedes. Now, that's the opulence and aspirational value created by Mercedes recently and it is showing in the sales chart.

And for a 3 door, mediocre powered product like Jimny, Maruti better manufacture/assemble it in India at a competitive pricing.

Don't forget the new Gen THAR coming up. Since it was undergoing extensive testing, may be it will come without any niggles and hope they use some good quality materials also.

Last edited by petrol_power : 25th February 2020 at 14:44.
petrol_power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 15:02   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
For most of the Indian customers, purchases happen if a they find a product to have Value for money or that brand/product is an aspirational one.

Jimny, in 20 lacs plus will lack in both the aspects. GTI, even though an aspirational product, failed miserably, nor did it create any halo effect.

There will be always outliers in everything, similarly a few customers may purchase by spending 30 lacs for Jimny. But that will be very limited in number, which will not be sustainable for Maruti to keep up the manufacturing.

Also one case of the mindset of a regular upper middle class person, my brother is planning to upgrade the car from Honda city to a starting luxury segment, but he is not ready to even test-drive beyond Mercedes. Now, that's the opulence and aspirational value created by Mercedes recently and it is showing in the sales chart.

And for a 3 door, mediocre powered product like Jimny, Maruti better manufacture/assemble it in India at a competitive pricing.

Don't forget the new Gen THAR coming up. Since it was undergoing extensive testing, may be it will come without any niggles and hope they use some good quality materials also.
Maruti won't be manufacturing it here so they won't need numbers to sustain sales. They will likely import CBUs in small batches with a close relationship to demand.

Value for money is subjective. People that want the Thar or can't afford more might get the Thar, but there are plenty enough customers who can afford a 20L car and want something better than a Thar. The presence, quality and reliability of a Suzuki truck is incomparable to a Mahindra Thar, no matter what they try and do to update it.

We see 3 Series, C classes and Audis by the dozens everyday, running around town. I have no doubt enough people exist who would like to buy the Jimney at such a competitive price. Not every car model needs to do mass numbers to be considered a success. Especially imports.
imranstael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 09:22   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny mania in India!

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 21:12   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti won't be manufacturing it here so they won't need numbers to sustain sales. They will likely import CBUs in small batches with a close relationship to demand.

Value for money is subjective. People that want the Thar or can't afford more might get the Thar, but there are plenty enough customers who can afford a 20L car and want something better than a Thar. The presence, quality and reliability of a Suzuki truck is incomparable to a Mahindra Thar, no matter what they try and do to update it.

We see 3 Series, C classes and Audis by the dozens everyday, running around town. I have no doubt enough people exist who would like to buy the Jimney at such a competitive price. Not every car model needs to do mass numbers to be considered a success. Especially imports.
If you believe that small numbers is enough to sustain sales, no company would be manufacturing in India and all would be doing CBUs other than the home grown companies. Unfortunately manufacturers don't think like you.

There are loads of people in India who can spend in crores, but the question comes whether they are ready to spend so much for Maruti? Historic data shows Indians are not ready to spend much for Maruti (eg: Kizashi).

The meaning of the word "success" again depends from company to company. For fiat, may be selling 500 units per month may be success, but for Maruti selling 500 nos is not a success!!

Every one is agreeing that the car is good, but if they price ambitiously, no doubt that they will fail.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:30   #192
BANNED

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/exclusive-suz...ant-very-soon/

"Suzuki Jimny Production To Begins In Maruti’s Gurgaon Plant Very Soon.

...the company is currently installing the production line for the Jimny SUV at its Gurgaon-based facility.

The 3-door SUV will be produced in the country for the export markets.

Exports of the Suzuki Jimny from Maruti’s Gurgaon-based facility should start by mid-May or early-June."

So, no CBU from Japan. Test mules not spotted yet - means no India launch in the recent future? Or, if the car is launched as it is, no need for testing on Indian roads?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th February 2020 at 09:55.
romeomidhun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 14:44   #193
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Jimny production to begin at Maruti's Gurgaon plant

Rumour: Jimny production to begin at Maruti's Gurgaon plant

According to a media report, production of the Suzuki Jimny is likely to kick-off at Maruti's Gurgaon plant. It is said that a production line for the SUV is being installed at the facility.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimny.jpg

The Jimny is expected to be manufactured in India primarily for export markets. The report states that exports could begin by around May-June 2020.

The Jimny is powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine that produces 101 BHP and 130 Nm, which comes paired with either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. In Japan, the Jimny gets a smaller 660cc engine.

There are reports indicating that Maruti could be evaluating the Jimny for India. However, it is likely to be modified to suit the requirements of Indian customers.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2020 at 07:32. Reason: As requested
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 15:11   #194
BANNED

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Jimny is based on the Heartect platform
This may be a wrong info. Heartect platform is their monocoque platform on which the cars like Swift, DZire, Baleno, Ignis, WagonR and Ertiga are built, while Jimny is sitting on a ladder-frame platform.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:11   #195
BHPian

Quote:
"Suzuki Jimny Production To Begins In Maruti’s Gurgaon Plant Very Soon.

...the company is currently installing the production line for the Jimny SUV at its Gurgaon-based facility.

The 3-door SUV will be produced in the country for the export markets.

Exports of the Suzuki Jimny from Maruti’s Gurgaon-based facility should start by mid-May or early-June."
So where are they being manufactured as of now? Why do they want to move production here?

Are there instances where a company moves production to India but never sells the product in the local market?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks