Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 16:26   #196
BANNED

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
So where are they being manufactured as of now? Why do they want to move production here?

Are there instances where a company moves production to India but never sells the product in the local market?
Currently, it's being manufactured only in Suzuki's Kosai plant, Japan and exported to all over the Europe and other Asian markets. They are not able to meet the overseas demand and running on a waiting period of 1 year. So, the additional facility in India will help them to reduce the waiting period.

At a later stage, they may launch the same or India-specific model here. Who knows!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th February 2020 at 16:27.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:17   #197
BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Honestly speaking after the Gypsy gone, this is probably the only Maruti that interests me. I hope the news is true and they don't botch up on the build quality here. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
sub.g84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:18   #198
BHPian

Should be good to see the Maruti Gypsy's successor on Indian roads. I have never understood why Maruti/Suzuki haven't launched it so far in India. It could beat many so-called 'compact SUVs' in the Indian market hands down where it comes to genuine off-road capabilities, while delivering decent on-road performance. I just hope Maruti gets the pricing right.
Old 27th February 2020, 21:25   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

C O N F I R M E D:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-20200227075339_suzukijimny1-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Jimny India launch set for 2021!

Exports to begin in May 2020. International waiting period of > 1year prompted Suzuki to look at a second manufacturing plant.

Code-named YWD, Maruti Suzuki is targeting monthly volumes of 4000 -5000 including exports.

Quote:
Huge international demand prompts Maruti Suzuki to install new assembly line for Jimny at its Sanand plant; to be launched in India six months after exports begin, at a sub-Rs 10 lakh price.
Quote:
Taking the sales figures of the discontinued Gypsy as a reference, the company would be hard-pressed to sell more than 1,000 units a month of the successor to the iconic 4x4. To make a business case for the Jimny, the company would need additional volumes, which could be provided by export markets, and it appears production constraints at Suzuki’s Japan facility have presented Maruti Suzuki with just the opportunity it needs.
Quote:
To supplement production from Kosai, Suzuki is setting up a new assembly line for the Jimny at its plant in Sanand, Gujarat, where it has unutilised capacity. Hence, large export volumes are what will give Maruti Suzuki the economies of scale needed to make the Jimny viable for production in India.
ACI was one of the journals very skeptical of Jimny coming to India, but now it is for sure coming to India. SVP (Car and Bike) was the first to confirm of Jimny coming to India.

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th February 2020 at 21:43.
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 23:06   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
C O N F I R M E D:

Maruti Suzuki Jimny India launch set for 2021!

Code-named YWD, Maruti Suzuki is targeting monthly volumes of 4000 -5000 including exports.

ACI was one of the journals very skeptical of Jimny coming to India, but now it is for sure coming to India. SVP (Car and Bike) was the first to confirm of Jimny coming to India.
Exciting News. Wow. Really happy that yet another enthusiast car is going to be launched in India.

The only question now is Original 3-Door or 5-Door ??.

SVP (Car&Bike) said - 5 Door during AutoExpo.
Most other Journos also says 5 Door (Although all of them favoured 3 Door).
As per the ACI news, Maruti have the option to launch it in India, supplemented by exports, which means 3 Door.

But then, they also say expecting monthly volumes of 4-5k, which should mean 5-door, as 3-door version is a strict 4 seater and to sustain that kind of volumes in India after the initial buzz will be quite difficult without a more practical 5-seater 5-Door version (to please the parents of enthusiasts?).

Anyways, it would be better for Maruti to shelf the idea of launching a 2WD Jimny, as it is going to be less economical, and less practical and less luxurious than Brezza, which already has greater reach through Arena showrooms.
Old 28th February 2020, 00:41   #201
BHPian

Awesome news if true !!
Old 28th February 2020, 00:54   #202
BANNED

Lot of contradictions:

Someone says it is built at Gurgaon, others saying it is built at Sanand.
Someone says it is 3-door, others saying '5 doors'
Someone says it is ladder-frame chassis, others saying it is Heartect platform.
Someone says it is CBU, others says it is made in India.
Someone says it is 4x4, others saying it may be 2-wheel drive.

As of now, only Maruti knows those things.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 28th February 2020 at 00:56.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 07:33   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Lot of contradictions:

As of now, only Maruti knows those things.

Likely to be built at its plant in Sanand, Gujarat ( capacity available, ease of export- imports )

Will be 3 door only as of now. 5 door could come later based on the response

Will come as sold in the international market ( ladder-frame chassis)

CKD, with some localization ( engine, etc)- Target price cannot be met in CBU form.

Debatable, but will go with 4x4 as the target volumes including exports are less

The latest news from AutoCar should be more reliable than those seen earlier.

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th February 2020 at 07:52.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 07:36   #204
Senior - BHPian

If it is going to be exported from here, it will most likely be the current 3 door version. There is no way they can get a 5 door version into production so soon, that too without even a single test mule being photographed. The Sierra is the better equipped version with flared wheel arches and the K15 petrol motor under the hood.
Old 28th February 2020, 08:14   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

More Contradictions to be set right:

- Project code name YWD

- Indian target volumes ~ 1000 cars, majority will be for exports( ~ 3000-4000)

- Indian target price set at < ₹ 10 lakh, overlapping some variants of Vitara Brezza but targeting a different segment.

- Japanese plant (Kosai) is capped at an annual volumes of 490,000 units. But with the soaring demand the waiting period have touched > 1 year, which prompted for the green signal for a second manufacturing plant.

- Will retail through NEXA

- In this era of slowdown, Jimny volumes still hold good and will boost Maruti Suzuki exports

Link

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 11:36. Reason: typo
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 09:26   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More Contradictions to be set right:

- Project code name YWD

- Indian target volumes ~ 1000 cars, majority will be for exports( ~ 3000-4000)

- Indian target price set at < ₹ 10 lakh, overlapping some variants of Vitara Brezza but targeting a different segment.

- Japanese plant (Kosai) is capped at an annual volumes of 490,000 units. But with the soaring demand the waiting period have touched > 1 year, which prompted for the green signal for a second manufacturing plant.

- Will retail through NEXA

- In this era of slowdown, Jimny volumes still hold good and will boost Maruti Suzuki exports

Link
Finally some concrete news. Hope it is launched asap. I will book the Automatic top end when the booking are accepted.

Surprised to see Suzuki took this long to take the call to manufacture it in India. Within 6 months after its launch, there has been news of Jimny having 12 months plus waiting. Is the tooling/setup time for assembly that long.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 11:38. Reason: editing quoted post
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 14:09   #207
Senior - BHPian

This is great. I thought I will never ever spend money on a Suzuki car. Looks like they will force me to eat my words. A small automatic petrol 4x4 will be a dream come true.
Old 28th February 2020, 16:10   #208
Team-BHP Support

The sub-10 Lakh bit is hard to swallow!

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimny.jpg

That's Rs. 15 Lakhs in the UK. Also, I think Maruti Gypsy was priced at around Rs. 6 to 7 Lakh (ex-showroom).

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th February 2020 at 16:19.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:18   #209
BANNED

i. Launch the 3-door 4x4 version as Jimny / Gypsy for the enthusiasts at a price range of 8-10L. Since this is a small vehicle, the 1.5L Petrol engine will suffice.

ii. Launch a bigger Jimny XL with 5-doors, 4.3m long, 7-seater, 2WD at 10-12L. As it will be a big vehicle, a BS6 diesel engine is to be used. Since Maruti couldn't crack the Creta segment with S-Cross till now and the bigger 7-seater Vitara is not in sight yet, they can launch this model and try their luck again.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 28th February 2020 at 16:22.
Old 28th February 2020, 17:49   #210
BHPian

For it to be a halo and aspirational product, Rs. 13 - 15 lakhs will be a fair price for the 3 door top-end model sold worldwide .

This is one product which I feel will give them the premium badge that they so desperately need to crack. Maruti needs to up their game (by launching a world class product) and price it a premium if their target is around 1000 vehicles a month.

I am sure it will have a decent amount of buyers who are looking for a compact go everywhere car. Not all families need 5 seats all the time. Buyers of Gypsy / Thar etc will be a good target segment.

I see quite a few posts expecting Maruti to price this at 8 Lakhs etc. I am doubt if Maruti will go that low. Maybe the expectation is based on gypsy prices. But this is a couple of generations newer one. So that looks doubtful
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks