Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th April 2020, 19:03   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

A very good long-term ownership review of Jimny from someone who has used/ tested it thoroughly for more more than a year.

This video covers and addresses the many Jimny things discussed recently in this thread.
sechebe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 18:42   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Renderings of the 5 door Jimny:

Name:  20200502_jimny.jpg
Views: 5495
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  20190829_jimny.jpg
Views: 5473
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  20190829_jimny1.jpg
Views: 5459
Size:  58.2 KB

And a long wheel base model - but will remain as a render only!

Name:  20200502_jimny1.jpg
Views: 5433
Size:  58.5 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd May 2020 at 18:44.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:57   #258
Senior - BHPian

Off Road Ride.

Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 17:14   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny like to retain the Maruti Gypsy moniker for India.

Oversea demand for Jimny is consistent, now is at a waiting period of 1.5 years.

Bad news is the start of Jimny ( 3 door) is delayed due to the Pandemic and new dates are not yet known.

Even the 5 door 'Gypsy' likely to be delayed considering the current situation.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 00:09   #260
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Source: https://www.rushlane.com/suzuki-jimn...61131.html/amp

"If rumours are correct, the India-spec Jimny could even be a front-wheel-drive."

So, a 5-seater 5-door front-wheel drive 1.5L petrol engined Jimny named as Gypsy and priced under 10 lakh for India?

I'll suggest to use the 1.2L dualjet engine but retain 4-wheel drive (or atleast rear-wheel drive), and also to launch the 3-door 4-wheel drive version as well here.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th May 2020 at 00:24.
Old 15th May 2020, 12:13   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: https://www.rushlane.com/suzuki-jimn...61131.html/amp

"If rumours are correct, the India-spec Jimny could even be a front-wheel-drive."

So, a 5-seater 5-door front-wheel drive 1.5L petrol engined Jimny named as Gypsy and priced under 10 lakh for India?

I'll suggest to use the 1.2L dualjet engine but retain 4-wheel drive (or atleast rear-wheel drive), and also to launch the 3-door 4-wheel drive version as well here.
Err....

Don't think so. These media guys maybe so used to crossovers that they can't fathom a 2WD SUV as RWD.

The Jimny is basically RWD with 4x4. No way they are going to make it FWD for India. No tangible benefits.

2WD is a given. Maruti knows the Indian customer. Most will tick 2WD option if given a choice between more FE and 4WD capability.

Heck, even I may see it as a better engineered Maruti version of the TUV300, if launched in 2WD. Though they should bring back the 1.5l diesel ASAP.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 15:36   #262
Senior - BHPian

An In Depth Look from The Straight Pipes.

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 14:15   #263
BANNED

Source: https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/ca...o-india/594019

"... Jimny received a great response from the consumers when it was displayed at the Greater Noida Auto Expo 2020, something which the company was already expecting. However, there are still no clear plans of bringing the SUV to India. Though Maruti Suzuki's Executive Director didn't mention them, we think there are a number of challenges which make it difficult for the Indian carmaker to add Jimny to its portfolio. First, the body style; Suzuki Jimny retailed in international markets is a three-door version which can accommodate four passengers but leaves very little room for luggage. This vehicle is not likely to become a success here given that factors like practicality and space play an important role in making cars popular in the country. What this means is that Maruti Suzuki will have to make a five-door version for our market which is not only a costly affair for the company but stretched length is also likely to impact Jimny's handling.

Second, and the most important aspect is the price band. If priced in ₹8 lakh to ₹10 lakh range, the Jimny will most likely impact Vitara Brezza and S-Cross' sales in the country. And in case the company decides to take Jimny to ₹10 lakh to ₹13 lakh budget, then the off-roader will face competition from the likes of Mahindra Scorpio, Kia Seltos, Hyundai Creta, etc. And price tag higher than ₹13 lakh will anyway reduce Jimny's prospects of becoming a success in the market.

And given how coronavirus pandemic has impacted buying sentiment, it really doesn't make sense for the company to focus on premium products."

If this is true, the first thing Maruti should do is to kick out the fools sitting inside the decision making room. Are they not aware of the inroads made by XUV500, Creta, Kwid, Seltos and the likes?
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 14:39   #264
BHPian

Jimny is a purpose built vehicle. All aspects of it, ie 3 door, petrol engine, gearbox to match the engine, very short wheelbase, all if it is meant to serve the purpose. Modifying it in anyway to make it appealing to another section of car market is only going to end up in a vehicle that excels at nothing. I hope Suzuki realizes it and that they don't put Jimny's character at stake by launching a significantly different version of it just for India.

Personally I'm a fan of Jimny. I've been drooling over many videos of it on YouTube where it has been put for softroading or camping kind of use. If not for my regular highway drives I would have seriously considered this as my next car despite few other shortcomings. Practically speaking though, Duster or a similar car with high ground clearance will be all that I need. Ever since I returned from a trip to Spiti my perception of what a normal car can handle has changed drastically.

If Maruti launches the international version in India without major changes, the enthusiasts will buy it anyway. But will the numbers be sufficient for Maruti to justify the investment I'm not sure.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 15:27   #265
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
If Maruti launches the international version in India without major changes, the enthusiasts will buy it anyway. But will the numbers be sufficient for Maruti to justify the investment I'm not sure.
Maruti is already making the investment to manufacture Jimny for export markets. Also, tests on Indian road conditions and relevant changes won't cost such a bomb, I guess. So, selling a 3-door Jimny here won't be an issue.

Now, let us a do a math for a 5-door Jimny.

Assume the development cost for a 5-door Jimny is Rs 500 crores (considering a lot of basic development cost is already spent for the 3-door version and this 500 cr is the incremental cost for 5-door conversion)

Assume a profit of 50K from one unit, and Maruti can sell 4000 units monthly. Monthly profit is 20 Crores, and in just two years, they can get their money back. And think about the long life period of Jimny / Gypsy!

Also, keep in mind how Suzuki Newzealand is converting a Jimny into a truck by just chopping off the rear portion and adding a load carrier! I don't expect such jugaad works; but even a proper development process won't harm Maruti in long term, I guess. The public attraction it draws itself will help Maruti to sell their other models, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Renderings of the 5 door Jimny
Hiding the C-pillar behind the window glass will help it better to stick to the 3-door Jimny look, IMO.

Name:  20200502_jimny.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  45.2 KBName:  20200502_jimny_1.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  44.6 KB

Last edited by romeomidhun : 19th May 2020 at 15:56.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 15:41   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Renderings of the 5 door Jimny:
Thanks! And these renderings show how important it is NOT to make a 5 door unit. The short wheel base, tall stance and compact dimensions to rival a kei car - are the points that define the Jimny's personality.

Bring 5 doors and long wheel base - you have a petrol engined Bolero to look at.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 22:03   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Bring 5 doors and long wheel base - you have a petrol engined Bolero to look at.
I too echo the same thought. I would like to see Jimny in it's compact form, don't mind the 3 door too. It's not a wise idea to take a long and heavy vehicle for an off road drive. Carrying less of it can make the best out of it !

Compactness is one of it's real USP's. Hope Suzuki clings onto that. I'm certainly looking forward to the Jimny launch in India and contemplating to get the hands on one.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 19th May 2020 at 22:06.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 22:57   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Second, and the most important aspect is the price band. If priced in ₹8 lakh to ₹10 lakh range, the Jimny will most likely impact Vitara Brezza and S-Cross' sales in the country. And in case the company decides to take Jimny to ₹10 lakh to ₹13 lakh budget, then the off-roader will face competition from the likes of Mahindra Scorpio, Kia Seltos, Hyundai Creta, etc. And price tag higher than ₹13 lakh will anyway reduce Jimny's prospects of becoming a success in the market.
No wonder Japanese are going down by the hour and Koreans are shining. 3-door won't sell? Are they blind to Thar's success? If a car with Mahindra badge can sell as many in number, what makes them think a car with Maruti badge, the most trusted brand in India, won't? Where is this sudden inferiority complex coming from? They have already started thinking low of themselves.

And, what's with this sales cannibalization talk? Isn't it better to see their own cars cannibalize than their rival's? They need to look at Seltosi. From 9.xx to 17.xx lakh ex-showroom price. A Seltos for almost everyone. For Heaven's sake, pack as many cars and as many variants as you can in any segment, if you want to retain customers. Give 'em all, Jimny, Brezza, S-Cross. These 3 are very distinct looking cars from one another and would cover the entire gamut of proper SUV to mini-SUV to crossover.

And, no 5-door Jimny please. I'm afraid they would turn it into a TUV300.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 10:11   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
No wonder Japanese are going down by the hour and Koreans are shining. 3-door won't sell? Are they blind to Thar's success? If a car with Mahindra badge can sell as many in number, what makes them think a car with Maruti badge, the most trusted brand in India, won't? Where is this sudden inferiority complex coming from? They have already started thinking low of themselves.

And, no 5-door Jimny please. I'm afraid they would turn it into a TUV300.
Echo these sentiments. I really love the compact footprint of the Jimny, and for a nuclear family of 2-3 this car should be good enough. Even more so if the Jimny is being considered as a second car in the family.

I think the simple reason why they are keen on making it five door for the Indian market is because Maruti believes that Indians covet practicality, interior space etc much over a super-compact footprint as in the current Jimny. A three door immediately spells "impractical" in some minds and Maruti being the risk averse organisation that it is, is not willing to take that risk. the five door design will definitely not be as sleek and compact as the three door one sold in the international markets.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 11:07   #270
Senior - BHPian

Army will also want a soft top Jimny. They have already ordered a batch of Gypsy. A light weight narrow body vehicle is ideal for both mountain trails and narrow urban lanes.

Along with exports, selling 5,000+ per month of the 3 door version for the next few years is doable. Just let Maruti release a few 3 door versions in the country and check the demand.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed