Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 13:24   #346
BHPian

Re: Suzuki plans to make India sole production hub for Jimny

Well well well, how times have changed. From saying that there is no market for Jimny in India, to making India the only production hub for the 5 door Jimny. Seems like Maruti is really the most hypocrite brand in India. From saying, India doesn't needs safe cars, to offering Airbag in all their cars(Although it was forced by the government), then saying there's no market for Jimny in India to doing this and the third one, showing 'Calculate Kiya Kya' advertisements when they might come with a diesel engine in the future.

Jokes aside, I think they might make it larger than 4m and use it to compete with the likes of Creta and Seltos until they come up with their 'Toyota-Suzuki' product. Also, I think they'll be using their 1.5l diesel unit too in this product.
abhi9044 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 19:00   #347
BHPian

I'm buying if this is launched.

Played around on photoshop when we were discussing the LWB with my Isuzu group. I'd love to buy this if launched with a good engine and decent interiors.

Two variants, one LWB:
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimny-swb-5-door.jpg

and one Extended LWB:
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimny-edit.jpg

The extended LWB is way too long, but appealing nevertheless. Wrangler vibes all the way!

This was the donor:
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot-20200406-11.47.07-am.png

Last edited by Tassem : 28th September 2020 at 19:13.
Tassem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 19:34   #348
BHPian

While a lot of people here condemn the idea of a 5 door Jimny, I believe a 5 door Jimny is actually a good product for India and will have much more customer reach than a Thar or a 3 door Jimny!

The 5 door Jimny will definitely attract those who want a Thar but also have a family to cater to. The Thar is not even close to a proper family car and is best as a second car, unless someone is utterly stubborn and compromises comfort for the Thar.

Since the 3 door Jimny is even smaller than the Alto, I do not expect the 5 door's dimensions to exceed that of the WagonR. Keeping this along with the Jimny's considerably cheaper price tag in mind, I expect the 5 door Jimny to outsell its closest rival, the Thar by a huge margin!

Yes, the Jimny would never hurt the Thar, but the 5 door will create a separate demand for itself and will be a preferred first car by many(including me? Probably), unlike the Thar!

And talking about the 3 door Jimny, it should be limited to exports or should be made available here only in a LWB version (unlikely to happen), otherwise it won't survive even a few months in India!
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 20:26   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
While a lot of people here condemn the idea of a 5 door Jimny, I believe a 5 door Jimny is actually a good product for India and will have much more customer reach than a Thar or a 3 door Jimny!

....otherwise it won't survive even a few months in India!
A five door thar is definitely in the works as we speak.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 21:05   #350
BHPian

This definitely makes sense for Maruti if they have empty capacity at their plant. They can also take advantage of the lower component costs especially for the K15 engine. However I am not sure about the feasibility of the Jimny in the domestic market. I don't think the market has enough space left for more than 2-3 lifestyle vehicles. However, if this comes to india, I'd rather see it compete with say, the Bolero or the TUV300+ where there are justifiably enough volumes and few options

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
We should be proud of 2020 Thar, we get an equally or probably more capable and safer wrangler with smashing looks at less than half the price. I hope it becomes a blockbuster success.

PS : Anyway that point is moot, Jimny will be a segment below Thar and never emulate Thar’s success.
I am sorry sir, but it would be immature on your part to pass off statements like these without any clear evidence of the Thar being more "capable" or "safer" than a Wrangler. Heck, the car hasn't even launched yet.

Also why would you assume the Jimny to be a failure?

Regards
sodapop is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 23:23   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
This definitely makes sense for Maruti if they have empty capacity at their plant. They can also take advantage of the lower component costs especially for the K15 engine. However I am not sure about the feasibility of the Jimny in the domestic market. I don't think the market has enough space left for more than 2-3 lifestyle vehicles. However, if this comes to india, I'd rather see it compete with say, the Bolero or the TUV300+ where there are justifiably enough volumes and few options

I am sorry sir, but it would be immature on your part to pass off statements like these without any clear evidence of the Thar being more "capable" or "safer" than a Wrangler. Heck, the car hasn't even launched yet.

Also why would you assume the Jimny to be a failure?

Regards
Please don’t misquote me. I only said Jimny might not emulate the success of Thar. I never said it will be a failure. I expect the Thar to be a success and I hope it’s a bigger success than Jimny.
Obviously one cannot write off Maruti. It is my personal opinion, but might also stem from the fact that these 2 Indian automotive companies are taking giant strides in bringing their best to our customers whereas Maruti is dumping us with Tinny cars and giving stupid ads justifying why diesel cars can never be financially as viable as Petrol because they were caught napping and don’t have a bs6 diesel.
You are of course free to refute it and I respect your opinion too.
1. Also if you see the videos of Northern outlanders by Anshuman and some members who are also Tbhp members you will see the wrangler struggling on certain inclines and soft sand which endeavour, fortuner and v-cross blitz through. The old Thar beats most of them of barring their gypsy, so I expect the new Thar to do well too. That was my source for ‘as or more capable’. I don’t know what specs the international model is and I’ve seen videos where Wrangler is a great mountain goat but the Indian wrangler is found lacking though it is obviously a great platform to work on.
2. The wrangler has a crash test rating of 1 star on Euroncap, please check it. From the interview of Mahindra’s Thar development team with Renuka of Autocar, they said they have crash tested It and will comfortably clear frontal crash norms. And going by Mahindra’s recent record in safety tests I expect it to do better than Wrangler. Even otherwise I doubt it can be worse than Wrangler considering it has a 1 star rating. I will stand corrected if the Thar scores worse than that, but I don’t expect it to.

I can understand from various posts in the forums that lots of BHPIans have not taken kindly to Thar looking like the Wrangler and are bashing it for that but I for one love it and stick to my statement that it’s one of Mahindra’s greatest products and hope it’s a great success.

As the plaque says, ‘Made in India with Pride’ and I am proud of it too.

Sorry for digressing so much from the main topic at hand but since you called my post ‘Immature’ I wanted to explain it. Let’s go back to discussing Jimny again. Peace.

Last edited by spkrnh : 28th September 2020 at 23:38.
spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 23:47   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
You are of course free to refute it and I respect your opinion too.
1. Also if you see the videos of Northern outlanders by Anshuman and some members who are also Tbhp members you will see the wrangler struggling on certain inclines and soft sand which endeavour, fortuner and v-cross blitz through. The Thar beats most of them of barring their gypsy. That was my source for ‘as or more capable’. I don’t know what specs the international model is and I’ve seen videos where it is a great mountain goat but the Indian wrangler is found lacking though it is obviously a great platform to work on.
Sir, the sources you mentioned have tested the old thar, which by every means barring the brand is a completely different car. Secondly, the wrangler tested there was the older version and the 5 door variant with a significantly longer wheelbase. It would not be right to compare it with a 3 door 2020 Thar.

Quote:
2. The wrangler has a crash test rating of 1 star on Euroncap, please check it. From the interview of Mahindra’s Thar development team with Renuka of Autocar, they said it will clear frontal crash test. And going by Mahindra’s recent record in safety tests I expect it to do better than Wrangler. Even otherwise I doubt it can be worse than Wrangler considering it has a 1 star rating. I will stand corrected it the Thar scores worse than that, but I don’t expect it to.
NHTSA, the US Federal Agency who crash tests cars has rated the Wrangler for 4 out of 5 stars for frontal crash tests. Secondly, again the Thar might clear the BNVSAP crash tests but the parameters are/will be vastly different on many levels so again, not a comparable topic here. As for "track record", M&M has a very variable one. They have the safest car in the country(XUV3OO) but at the same time have one of the worst too(Scorpio)so how the Thar will score can be judged only after proper tests have been conducted on it.

Quote:
I can understand from various posts in the forums that lots of BHPIans have not taken kindly to Thar looking like the Wrangler and are bashing it on other fronts too but I for one love it and stick to my statement that it’s one of Mahindra’s greatest products and hope it’s a great success.
I actually am one of well-wishers of Mahindra and a huge fan of the new Thar but calling it something it is not is grossly misleading.

Quote:
Sorry for digressing so much from the main topic at hand but since you called my post ‘Immature’ I wanted to explain it. Let’s go back to discussing Jimny again. Peace.
Right, back to the topic

Note to Mods: Sorry for going
sodapop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 00:24   #353
BHPian

If Suzuki does bring in a 5 door version, then I hope it will be proportioned appropriately i.e.
  1. Smaller front door and a rear door that's more car like than a square.
  2. Smaller quarter window, I think it will be even smaller than you see here, more like the quarter window on 1st gen Wagon R
  3. Raised roof to bring in more head room more like original Gypsy or even present Scorpio/Triber.
and I recon they will call it Gypsy - it will be a marketing sin not to utilize Gypsy's goodwill.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimny6.jpg

P.S. Apologies for the poor paint job.
satishchugh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 21:02   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Suzuki Jimny for India:

Quote:
Suzuki continues to carry out all the preparations for Maruti-Suzuki to get down to work as soon as possible and marketing of the Jimny in India can be carried out
- The new model could be branded as new-gen Maruti Gypsy for the Indian market.

- Likely to start with the 3 door version in CKD format for the Indian market in early 2021, followed with the 5 door version will launch in 2022/23.

- MSIL will import(has imported) the Jimny’s part via CKD (Completely Knocked Down) route for exports

- Exports to start from early 2021.

- Maruti Suzuki is aiming to increase its export share to 20% from the current 7%.

- The long-awaited 5-door Suzuki Jimny begins, about which so much has been speculated and that, everything indicates today, will be a model produced in India and that may be exported to other markets. To Europe?

- The company is already in talks with vendors and is expected to start producing the Jimny with locally sourced components in the near future.

- Maruti Suzuki will aim to position the new Jimny as a lifestyle SUV

Quote:
New reports detail that the aforementioned 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine will adopt 12-volt mild hybrid technology to improve its efficiency.
Quote:
Now, the idea that there is a front-wheel drive version is also on the table, leaving the ALLGRIP PRO 4x4 traction as an option

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd October 2020 at 21:03.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 23:26   #355
BHPian

Lot of never ending speculations on Jimny , dismissing till a prototype spyshot on Indian roads is found.

As per Suzuki Jimny was overbooked for years , right ?
3 door is roughly of the same size of new WagonR , Looks good in pics with its retro charm but not in real as seen on the MiddleEast roads.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:21   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandseth01 View Post
Suppliers of common parts have recieved a production plan indicating 2 Jimny's (Model Code name YWD) to be manufactured in September'2020. We should see some India made Jimny's testing on Gurgaon roads soon.
Update: MSIL Production records reveal that 1 Jimny (YWD) has been assembled in September'20.
anandseth01 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:56   #357
BHPian

A lot of the prospective Jimny buyers would now be looking at the Thar and might already have booked them. I'm sure suzuki would have wanted to price the Jimny at a premium(relatively speaking). But with the Thar's competent pricing, lets see what they can do.
Old 6th October 2020, 21:28   #358
BHPian

Cannot verify the news, but this claims assembly/manufacturing has started in India

"Now, new reports suggest that the Indo-Japanese brand has already rolled the first unit of the Jimny SUV from its assembly line at the brand’s manufacturing facility in Gurugram."
https://shifting-gears.com/maruti-su...-suv-in-india/
bharatbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 23:31   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Cannot verify the news, but this claims assembly/manufacturing has started in India

"Now, new reports suggest that the Indo-Japanese brand has already rolled the first unit of the Jimny SUV from its assembly line at the brand’s manufacturing facility in Gurugram."
https://shifting-gears.com/maruti-su...-suv-in-india/
The primary source to that news is on the forum itself

Verified now?

The Jimny, if launched, will be an interesting take on urban SUVs. It will be super compact, but at least worthy of being called an SUV unlike the Ignis & S-Cross.
For a 3-door model, I wonder if the keyboard warriors will hate it for practicality just as much as the Thar. But for it to be really compared to the Thar, the ALLGRIP variant will have to make it to the showrooms. And that is where fun will begin...

Last edited by parrys : 7th October 2020 at 23:34.
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 00:07   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

The Jimny, if launched, will be an interesting take on urban SUVs. It will be super compact, but at least worthy of being called an SUV unlike the Ignis & S-Cross.
For a 3-door model, I wonder if the keyboard warriors will hate it for practicality just as much as the Thar. But for it to be really compared to the Thar, the ALLGRIP variant will have to make it to the showrooms. And that is where fun will begin...
Jimny with a 3 door 1.5 ltr engine will be a good offering and might tick more boxes than Thar for many. Much compact dimensions, car like interiors and jazzy colours. Could fit the bill for many men and women drivers wanting to have a car of their own or second car in the garage, owing to smaller and flickable dimensions. It will be some fight between the more masculine looking Thar vs more upmarket Jimny.

Benefit Suzuki will have is to work on feedback from customers for Thar and how to make it a better lifestyle vehicle. Interesting times ahead.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks